any one ever see one like this ?
Old garbage trucks don't generally bring much $ used. They are double frame heavy spec trucks, and would actually make a pretty good dump truck. With the new aero trucks having taken over the over the road market, there are very few trucks left to take out of their original service, and convert to a dump. The newer over the road trucks aren't heavy enough either to convert. I have a friend that used a old garbage truck to put under a boom truck, and he loves it. Turns short, automatic trans, good power, heavy double frame. Probably the only reason more don't get turned into dump trucks, is that by the time the garbage services are done with them, they are pretty well shot. That and they don't ride as well, the driver being in front of the steer axle tends to bounce them up and down worse.
well I actually found this one on facebook it seems they bought it brand new from what I was reading
I guy in town bought a firetruck at auction and converted it. It was low mileage well maintained and high horsepower.
Nope. Never seen a dump truck with lift axles.
That would be considered a “Great Lakes Special” axle configuration I do believe.
I see guys around here running log trucks set up with front and back drops like the OP's pics
The ones that had parabolic steer springs and 425's on the front ride pretty decent for a garbage truck . Was a shame we always had to take them off and put 315's on them guess they didnt like expensive tires
Got a lot of farm harvest trucks around here that were former garbage trucks, the sheet metal is trashed and you have to do the occasional engine or transmission overhaul to put them in service. But most are super heavy spec, like 76,000 on a 10 wheeler with 12.00x 20 duals and 14.00x 20 steers. That is short haul off public roads, 6-71 inlines with a CR 654 Allison auto. One batch was ex NYC trucks that were ugly and stinky, but they had 60K rears on Ridewell pads with 18K fronts and dual Sheppard P/S. About the most bullet proof farm trucks I ever saw.
I've seen farmers buy old garbage trucks like this and fit them with liquid manure tankers. Much faster and safer than a tractor and tank trailer for hauling and spreading on fields.
that was the first time I saw something like that so I had to look for a while overall its a nice set up
I reckon if you could get a roll off garbage truck it would be a good basis for a super dump , where i had worked they were mack rd double frame long wheel base with 56k rears