Yesterday I did something I hope to he** never hapens again. Our D5 got a bad leak under the bottom and we dont have time to fix it. We dont have a trailer so we made an appointment with a shop and got a place set then called a contractor we loan a can to. Ive been operating theis dozers since Iwas 14 and loading it on this trailer for several years. This is mostly my faultI had the D5B sitting on the side road to the fill warming up. It was a slow day so I greased it and topped everythign tbut hte fuel and hydraulcs off. I hear the Low boy comming and get one the dozer hes already been told to load out front and been doing it for10 years. Well he couldnt uturn in front of the shop because another truck was headed out so he loops around the fuel barrels and gets hung in a ditch and jerks out in the haul road. I motion him to move up to level and he does well I though he did the bed was leveled up. He drops the ramps and I asked if hes on good ground he nods yep. I should have walked around the trailer but I took his word it was raining pretty good and I wanted him gone to the shop so they would have to wait. I alway s have trouble with this trailer because the ramps are metal witha wood inlay but the dove on the back is all steel. I got up the no problems whatsover. Its a kinda high trailer so i took it easy foot on the decel and 1st gear. I got the the front and idled it down and put the old girl in neutral and set my brake when I set the blade down I was about to undo my belt when I felt a feeling like I was in a car barely sliding on ice. and thought this aint good. I was dead center on the trailer to. I grabbed the gaurd around the shifter and the blade lever and puckered up. It slid and didnt drop till the ledt track hit then I tumped over. It was gentle. Donny my helper hauled a** around to the back of the dozer and grabbed me in bearhug hollering I looked upp grinning and he was pale as a sheet. still hugging me I told him to let go only my wife hugs me like that lol . When it rolled on over the the cab I pushed the throttle off. I got loose from the belt and stepped out of the sweeps. Dad came out of the office and gave me a blessing out for not checking my self out instead I went over the dozer. Dad gave me the speech of being an operator 50 years and not doin the same. The driver left I remebered that his traier has an ariride bogey and that its chained down. Donny said it was level till I got to the front and the trailer tilted. I t was fine till I set the blade down the I sld over. Im glad I hadnt decided to get off of the machine whe nI set the blade down or I d have been under it. I had the belt on as alway when loading. I just cant beleive I did that stupid stunt especially all the other machines Ive loaded in my life. Dad was poed at the driver but I told him it was as much my fault for not walking around the trailer. I dont like to let that man load it because he seems rough on the tractor. To get it back over we took dads personal tractor and toted some sawdust and put it 2 feet tall the length of the track, Then we hooked a choker cable to the trunion ball and pulled her over. I let the oil run back down and bumped the starter to check for and oil ontop of the piston then fired it up. Ill was gonna reload butthe driver left early. Donny couldnt beleive I was gonna do it over. I know a fella that rolled on and he let it and the lowboy sit 2 months before getting nerved up again. I dont want to put the blame eslwhere other than me and the rain. My wife had called me mid flip and the phone came out of my pocket and hit me in the head. when I finished rolling. she thought when the phome lost power and cut off from the shock I had hung up on her Itold her later I was too busy crashing to answer the thing. My brother took a few pics when he got there with another cable. My new name is Crash Lambert
Wow ???? glad you walked away. Thursday the 12th has always been bad for me.
I got pictures comming back tomorrow. Dad still reminded me this morning that i need to go to Tunica casinos and play a round lol. After I got home I thought of my friend who got killed last year on a skidder that rolled over. But im not gonna think of that anymore.
Taylor, that's a heck of a good story. Enjoy it while you can (and I'm glad you walked away), I just wish my dad was still here to give me a good cussin' once in a while!
Just another example of a women's uncanny timing. No coincidence she called as you were rolling and hit you in the head with your own phone.
Glad to hear you are all right. Just goes to show, even the simple??? things can end badly, even when carefull. Glad you wear your belt. Many don't, and it is a recepe for trouble. Bad enough to tip over, but even worse if you fall underneath.
ATCOEQUIP I really enjoy working with my dad, I recon Ive worked with hiim the most and been in the most scrapes together. When he had heart surgery I took over the landfill for him. the same day he came back I got the dozer hung in a drain terrace, He scouldnt lift anything over 10 pounds. He showed me how to use a few sections of chain and some poles to pole it out. I m just glad he was in the office. Donny went in and told him I rolled it off the trailer I should have done that. Dad and I work together so long Its hard to get into a rythem with another worker now. Dads put me on the dozer full time and took over office and compactor duty. When I have to do alot of scraper work Ill run the scraper and let him run the dozer out helper has trouble dumping out the scraper to suit dad. Its gonna be hard when he retires but I still think thats a ways off now.
ATCOEQUIP I really enjoy working with my dad, I recon Ive worked with hiim the most and been in the most scrapes together. When he had heart surgery I took over the landfill for him. the same day he came back I got the dozer hung in a drain terrace, He scouldnt lift anything over 10 pounds. He showed me how to use a few sections of chain and some poles to pole it out. I m just glad he was in the office. Donny went in and told him I rolled it off the trailer I should have done that. Dad and I work together so long Its hard to get into a rythem with another worker now. Dads put me on the dozer full time and took over office and compactor duty. When I have to do alot of scraper work Ill run the scraper and let him run the dozer out helper has trouble dumping out the scraper to suit dad. Its gonna be hard when he retires but I still think thats a ways off now. PSDF350 She always calls when my hands are greasy or Im holding something that needs extra hands lol. Dad says I should talk to her, but I tell him if I talk too much Ill not have anything to say when I get home lol.
Nothin' like being upside down, eh, Taylor? Bet you don't want to do it again! Ask me how I know.... that's why some call me "Flip".....(check the little picture!) Glad to hear you are all right. Alan
So am I, Taylor... :thumbsup OCR...
Ok here goes this gets a big ole Operator my A**
ouch....:Banghead
wow that sucks good thing that you weren't hurt at all.