Cat, Volvo, New Holland, JCB, Case all waiting on parts. I would always tell people to buy Cat you can have anything you need in the morning but that's gone too. There still better than the rest up here. It's like there forcing small guys out and others to buy new rather than waiting. It seems a lot of things nothing to be 8 or 9 weeks out.
Sorry 6 been waiting on Deere/Hitachi so long I forgot.
Parts..... Sorry, not my department
It seems the parts supply business has become more about profits and less about uptime. There was a time where the customers satisfaction was important.
I once waited months for Cummins engine parts with an engine sitting taken apart and customer waiting. They said they would have them by October, well October came and went, then it was January, well that happened too. I think it was rings and some valves. I don't think they ever got them in to this day because by then I had discovered another guy that had bought up old stock but not well advertised. Since the corporate takeover of their local distributors those guys have gone from being my favorite back in the day to the absolute worst in a number of ways.
I am after a water pump pulley from Takeuchi. I want the smaller pulley so my water pump spins a little faster. Cannot get a "local" dealer to call me back to save my soul from hell. Seems a single pulley just is not worth their time. I will keep trying. Sometimes its good, I mean I can send out one email looking for a yanmar engine and for the next three weeks I get quote after quote from used parts guys all over the country....but its so hit or miss anymore. If its not on Amazon or Ebay, its like it doesn't exist or you have to go to the moon to get it.
I needed Volvo ductile bucket link [I have changed several of these around here] it was 12 weeks out. it was a new enough unit he made 2 payments on it while it sat def pumps whole nother story along with shipping from anybody.
Yep its the same with AG parts. almost every thing is mail order. Half the time they don't even have shovels and bolts for chisel plows and cultivators. And they sell hundreds if not thousands of them a year.
With the aforementioned company, it is like they are trying to wrap up all parts and service within their own network and only their guys service and sell parts for their machines. But then they don't keep the parts in stock, and their own mechanics and technicians, who should be the cream of the crop, know less than the owner of the machine about how to fix it.
I had a JRB quick coupler off excavator asked parts guy for break because it had bushings in pin holes he advised me to buy a new coupler that must have been done in a butcher shop. I just told him ok and by. Wanted to tell him he was talking to head butcher. Little measuring bushings are on the way from Cat.
brings to mind a response I got ( from a parts manager of all people). I requested a part which should have been a regular stocking item and he said " jeez, I never sold one of those before". well, I said, you would have sold one if you had it.
What is bad is when you need something for a KW and there parts guy cant even tell you when he can get one but some how Orielys gets me the part over night but Orielys cant get me a part for a Chevy. One thing that hurts me is being so fare from any parts supplyers alot of times it helps being face to face with old part in hand.
“Lean manufacturing”/Six Sigma is killing parts stocking. The manufacturers don’t want to pay inventory tax (an utterly stupid tax) nor for warehouse space.
That's one thing we are lucky to have is a Car Quest dealer it's three brothers that give a **** if they can find it you will have it tomorrow
I've heard the same JD, that with the fact that demand is just outpacing the supply in this bustling economy.
I have 10!!! Oh , wait, you were talking about pieces of yellow iron
OUR AG STORE WENT FROM MOM AND POP HAD A COUPLE STORES 29 STORE COSTERMER SERVICE LONG GONE ONLY THING YOU CAN COUNT ON GETTING IS A BAD ATTITUDE.
We usually have anywhere up to a dozen machines waiting parts at any one time. It doesn't help that logisitcally-speaking we're at the end of one of the longest cul-de-sacs in the World. Some of our kit has been known to wait up to 6 months for parts.
Parts have become a complete joke IMO. Lost count of how many times I've had jobs held up waiting on one stupid little part that is common to several machines. Yet there's no availability on it or there are only 3 in the entire country.
I waited a year on a hood for ingersoll rand roller dealer told me there was like 70 on back order and there made 20 miles from dealer.
Without the internet to find parts nothing I have would run. Between supposedly obsolete parts to prices that look like telephone numbers, the dealers this past year have been killing me. Consider this from Volvo - rubber seal on the bucket pin, 1 left in Sweeden otherwise obsolete. OK I'll take it at $20. 4 weeks later it is here. Pick it up. Item has a manufacturer part # that crosses to current SKF #. Had 3 shipped to me cross country for $19 total. Got them in 3 days.
There bad up here also pretty much all brands have a depo in central Texas but Volvo is in Mississippi.
I can't figure out why you have to order JD AG parts from an AG dealer and JD construction parts from a construction dealer. If I know the part number I want I should be able to order it where I want. I wonder if there is enough demand for a well equipped shop to manufacture parts that the dealers aren't willing to deliver in a timely fashion.
There's a JD Ag dealer 5 miles from my grandpa's farm. He has a Deere dozer, loader and excavator. Anytime he needs a part for one of them, he has to drive 45 minutes each way to the Deere construction dealer. They won't even drop ship them to the closer dealer to save costs. Aside from that, the construction dealer never has any parts in stock for anything.
I’ve ordered JD Ag parts online to be picked up at my local JD Construction dealer since they are right across the highway from my work. No problem with that. A bit cheaper too than having it shipped to the Ag dealer
we build custom parts all the time for customers as they can't waited for parts to come in or they have waited 6 weeks for parts to have them show up wrong. become friends with your local machinist /welder. a good shop can help you out. we try to make everything stander to use off the shelf parts rather than specialty ones. JD and there special chrome size so one can not just change the rod or packing so they can over charge for there parts. i get a big smile very time we re-cut one to use nominal size chrome that's stock all over the country as well as seals.
Whats wrong with 63mm... LOL
We have a machine shop in my shop I have 5 engine lathes and two turret lathes sure is handy. Also do portable line boring and a 11" x 5' radial arm drill set up for boring also, so that helps a lot on non existent or back ordered parts.
Smart man, you understand motives. Who benefits? If old machines are running, do bankers collect as much interest?
twr we have two radial drills in our shop and we would be lost without them. line boring equipment is good but a bore welder that's where time and money are saved and really make you shine when doing line boring jobs.
Yes Sir we have that to, did it for a while with out it don't want to be with out it.
On the Deere parts page a lot of time we will do a parts search to see where the part is used and it will come up on ag equip. and can get it that way through ag dealer. It may be a loader part but its on a chopper as well that there ain't one with in 1500 miles of you. sometimes you get some funny looks at the counter.
Was having air leak issue with a Eaton Fuller square head 13 spd knob, stopped at the Pete dealer while doing other running around, kid behind the counter looked at me and HONESTLY stated, "I need a S/N to look it up" I happened to have it so he looked up the 1997 379 and TADA was marked OBSOLETE in his Computer(I KNEW That) stated no longer available and WALKED AWAY!! Stopped at the Freightliner shop expecting similar but had to try, old Gal behind the counter asked "Red or Blue" looked back told her Red, had the New Style knob and was gone in ten minutes. I do believe a Great Deal of the issues starts with the age of the ordering parts tech and the other end age of the supplier tech.
I had a TD-20 needed pivot pads relined took them to three different shops up here the old men were gone young kid with wire coming out his head didn't know ****. A place in Florida said if I would ship them there they would see if they could price them. The short of a long story we adjusted all the slack got it to where it turn again[real good I must say] there selling today at farm auction. It's a shame and I'm sure some could do it cause them are good old tractors.
the best one I have heard in a long time was from CAT someone had brand new big hoe like a 385 ish called in cus they need a valve bank issues CAT said we have no part in the system as that a brand new hoe and will not need parts for a least a year as we still building them and could not allocate any parts as they where trying to build more machines. so it sat for 8 months I think. that being said there a reason why I collect Cat equipment as I can still get parts back in the 1930's for my cats. lean manufacturing and just in time B.S is killing the parts world.
We had a Cat 308D I believe 2009 needed a off set cylinder rod the costumer was in a bind called Cat but at the time NLA, we made one but went to get kit it was same way had order by the piece. Not long after that had a 320D rod they stuck in a power line and would not give core credit eye was good.
There is 2 Car Quest dealers a hour from me that are localy owned they are good about geting me stuff i wish they would deliver every day like Orielys but i also under stand it takes the profit out unless i order alot of stuff.
Parts, now that's a very sore subject right at the moment, as for brand, they all suck, as for American made, that's a complete joke, as for being obsolete and old, not sure what's worse, too old or too new, either way your screwed, the wait time is about the same. Was told by my hose supplier couldn't even get the hose end, its no longer made......by anyone, a metric 90, so we'll go with an adapter, they still make those, convert it to JIC ends, no problem, ordered it and I'd have it in three days, well two weeks later it still wasn't here, so some phone calls later, shipping screwed up, nothing new, so a week later still it showed up..........wrong part, so another phone call later and I was told, after having to ask three times, it will be 16 weeks before I'd see it and oh yea we made a mistake, the price is four times what we quoted and has to paid up front?? Don't like that option with that company, try broke down machine number two, was told its too new they don't have parts yet available even under warranty??? *** kind of excuse is that, they have parts at the assembly plant putting them together new as we speak, the parts are going on machines 24/7 and your telling me none are available to me, the assembly plant is two hours away, send Bubba down and get my part off the cart along the assembly line and be back before noon, I really don't care if he stops for dinner or not, its not that far from here and I know they have parts there, option two is go out front to the new machine you have sitting there and take it off that one, I'll wait for you to do that and I'll take it home myself and put it on, if those options are not available, I'll take a key and drive your new off the lot and when when you get those parts, come put it on and get YOUR machine back, I'm using your till then for free though, too new to stock parts, what a crock. I've figured out one thing though, my shop isn't nearly large enough for machines to sit torn apart waiting on parts to show up, it should have been five times larger just for machine storage while they are torn apart and waiting. Its a good thing we use cameras to take pictures as we take things apart, they are torn down so long waiting on parts, I've forgotten how they go back together again. As for brands, I've found its better to have many different ones, must have over a dozen major brands in my fleet, coupled with that fact along with multiple dealers of each brand, you have a much better chance of actually finding a part for something, so you can actually put something back together, when dealing with only one or two brands and limited dealers in each your pretty much screwed on ever getting anything for parts from what I can tell. OEM, not sure that even exists anymore or there is such a thing, as for the internet, 500 places show it, but nobody has it in stock and oh yea by the way, nobody can get it either before your newborn turns 18 and graduates high school. 16 fricken weeks to get one hydraulic adapter, and there's still no guarantee it'll be the right one, you know after they outsource it three times, the numbers switch 25 times and between Bubba and Leroy who are dislexic getting things backwards, oh yea I have faith it'll be right when it does show up this time, option number two was to go with supplier number two, he said and I quote, you won't see it in 2019, that's for sure and its only July??
Local company bought replacement tracked loaders for ageing equipment, bought Deere, first one six service calls under warranty up to 34 yes JUST 34 operating hours then a track Idler failed. Sent it BACK, got another been' Looked at closer' and BTW, the first machine NEITHER front idler bearings had ANY lube in them. Quality control SUCKS, lighter weight cheaper components SUCKS. I hear this from Newer truck, HE, medium and light truck as well auto owners. Just nothing seems worth a crap these days Foreign OR Domestic.
When these companies put out bids on components, they always go with the cheapest supplier, maybe there's a reason why someone bid components so cheap in the first place, no lube in the front idlers?? do you suppose Deere forgot to put in their bid specs that idlers required oil in them?? A friend of mine bought a new firewood processor, high priced and with only a few hours on it, the hydraulic system failed big time, upon inspection, nobody cleaned out the oil tank when it was built and was so full of metal shavings it plugged up the filter and then bypassed that and sucked all the filings into the pump and when that ate all it could, that blew parts to every component on the machine, nothing was left working or fixable, long story short, warranty wouldn't cover it, they claimed the owner did it not a screw up at the factory, and then the fight started over who was to blame. A neighbor bought a new tractor a few years back, the PTO wouldn't shut off, so after every attempt to fix by the dealer, the company sent out a tech, who also gave up, so the company issued a new tractor to the owner, took the new tractor that's pto didn't shut off to auction, voided the warranty and sold it as is, problem solved I guess. Same company did the same thing for a new field chopper, the metal alert didn't work and they gave up trying to fix it, issued another unit to the owner and sold the unfixed one on auction and voided the warranty, brand new never used even an hour, no warranty what so ever on it to anyone who'd buy it. Exact same company sold a new large front wheel assist tractor to a local guy, once the tractor heated up a certain engine temp, it would shut off where it was, would not restart under any circumstance until exactly 24 hours from the time of shut down, then miraculously would start up, to repeat this same thing each time, long story short, the company couldn't figure out why, so they jerked the owner around till his warranty was up and then refused to do anything with the tractor, then put a blocker on his serial number so nobody could get any information on the tractor if they ever contacted the company again about it, no matter who owned it, so after that once the serial number was given on a question about the tractor, the phone line would go dead, the company would just hang up on whoever asked about it. A neighbor bought a brand new tractor, to the tune of 300k, while driving it at any speed, it would automatically shift into park for no reason, so while pulling two 740 bushel gravity boxes down the road in road gear, it would randomly shift into park and lock up all the wheels, the company had no clue why it did it, needless to say, the owner wasn't happy. Same owner second tractor, same year, hooked it up to his also new round baler and the baler wouldn't tie, so the dealer went to work fixing it, they replaced everything they could think of only in the end did they find the culprit, a battery in the tractor had a weak cell in it, batteries are not covered, so they sent a bill to the owner for over 25k in parts and labor, no electrical part can be returned and none were under warranty and no part they put on was broken or needed replaced at all. Another neighbor bought a new combine, while combing corn the head would stop running and he couldn't raise or lower the head, a dozen trips from the dealer later and after replacing about everything electrical on it, they figured out what was wrong, a loose ground wire, so the farmer was billed nearly 20k for electrical parts he didn't need and were not covered and it delayed his harvest by a month. Do you want to discuss continuity sensitive wires on machine's?? and what a joke they are and what happens when you cut one and are required to replace the entire wiring harness and what that costs?? How about sensors they bury inside the transmissions and you have to dismantle the machine to get at them and the fact they are not warranted even new, and how much it costs to replace the same sensor three days in a row on the same machine due to bad sensors, yea we need more of those to tell us when our pocket books are too full of cash and in need of depletion is about all they do. We could start in on new pickups, several customers have them and one brand had an issue with dash fires, to the tune of three new pickups in one year for him, the first one went up hooked to his livestock trailer he was pulling, he got his kids out before it engulfed the cab and also the trailer, second one went up sitting in the yard and the third one burned his garage down along with his new pickup, yet the company claims it was his fault, took him two years to deal with insurance and the fire marshal to make the determination he had nothing to do with it, it was a wiring issue with the truck. How about combines that burst into flames due to faulty wiring harness's, one farmer lost an entire machine shed full of machinery when it lit up, fire marshal hadn't been there to determine the cause, so he bought the second one, which lit up in his yard overnight since his shed was still smoking from the first fire and had no place to park it, the third combine in the same week as the first two, the dealer dropped off and was never used, and caught fire sitting in his yard as he ate dinner, so the third one he never even sat in, none even had 20 hours on them, there might be a reason why the farmer was somewhat upset that week. I could keep going for weeks on all the examples of poor quality equipment I know about locally and have seen and been around, every week I hear or talk to someone who's upset over something they own that either won't run or can't be fixed or takes many attempts to try to fix and usually in the end, they give up and trade machines to try to solve the issue. Quality control, doesn't exist by any company in any industry today. Parts..................boy that's a hot topic with most in my area, what don't exist anywhere on any dealers shelves, most companies don't even stock, the dealer can't get from the company that doesn't exist in the first place, its a mail order society today, once you place the order at the dealer, the dealer orders it from the company, then and only then does the company buy from the cheapest dollar supplier they get components from and you wait.
Parts? I can't even get a whole new vehicle. A couple months ago I commissioned the build of a new Quigley 4 wheel drive van. Delivery was to be July 15th. The van got to Quigley for the mods I had specified and it is still setting there. According to the selling dealership in yet another conversation this morning, the factory put a bunch of glass in these vans that does not meet the Federal safety standards. They having been fighting over this for a month and GMC played the "duh" card. Finally last Friday a safety recall was forced by the Feds and now my van is supposed to go back for glass that does not currently exist. Meanwhile Quigley can not complete the conversion as they become the builder of record much like a RV company. So, a fair chunk of my money sets there in their hands and my van is probably not going to be here in time for the Alaska excursion we have planned. I can't imagine how it would be for someone who's livelihood depends on it.
Are you trying to get hose ends for a Poclain
I just went thru a deal with JCB on bucket pins they sent 3 different pins all with the right part number all wrong after about 4 days and a **** load of freight [there dime] they nailed it, there like Volvo the depo is in Chicago.
All I know is if I had a brand new machine that wouldn't run because of parts that was the size of a 385 and cost I would be at the house of the dealer manager at 4 in the morning making him very unhappy or I wouldn't own that machine no more it's that simple I almost got sideways with deere on a backhoe hydralic pump that they replaced under warranty. Cat has a lot of issues with no parts for new machines at one point there were 4 machines sitting at the dealer waiting on parts for the same exhaust manifold and that was just rental machines know of 2 owner operators that had the same problem held them up a month but one of them got there pound of flesh his salesmen is still terrified when that guy calls.
OK, I'll admit...……...when I saw the thread title, I thought we were talking wives here.
Who in their right mind would want 5 wives?! I have days that I think 1 wife is too many...
How about simple parts unavailable, 2010 ram 2500 rear axle brake dust shield, holds the ebrake shoes. 4 aftermarket sources unavailable, called dorman tech line they don't manufacture one. Dealer part has caliper bracket and shoes and hardware all attached. Back ordered for 3 weeks, the girlfriends camping trip is 1 week. Finding one on shelf of dealer 2 states away $300, saving camping trip.....priceless.
Work has started having Cat do "factory rebuilds" on equipment instead of buying new. No clue how they find the parts so quick to turn them around but the rebuilds only take a couple months. It's no uncommon for stuff to sit for 6+ months waiting on something dumb that we've replaced 5 times in the last 5 years. Try working for a major corporation and it's even worse when you have corporate people deciding which parts to stock. $25k control module for a machine that the company doesn't own any more, yeah we'll keep that. Filters for a machine we have 6 of, that will be 2 weeks while it goes through corporate purchasing. You have someone 12 hours away who has 0 clue about equipment telling us what to throw out and what to keep. Let alone being the only underground property in North America with a completely different set of rolling stock than their 6 surface mines. Luckily the warehouse guy will call the shop on parts throw out day and let them go through his dumpster.
Machines scheduled for a Cat Certified Rebuild are usually planned at least 9-12 months in advance. Cost is typically about 2/3 of a new machine. With that much advance notice parts availability usually isn't a problem however obscure the part in question is. The "standard" parts kit for the rebuild is set by Cat, the dealer has no say whether items will be replaced based on condition - they just get replaced, end of...…. Fair enough I suppose, when the factory is giving new machine warranty on the rebuild.
My new skid steer has went down with 120 hours on it. Def fluid quality the warning says. Drained the def tank replaced the fluid drove 1 hour to dealer to have computer reset so it would run based on dealers suggestion. Got it back to work. 1 hour later same problem. It decels the engine when it happens and no power. They say it is a def sensor in the tank and they will order one and that they are 2 weeks out on repairs. Weeks and many phone calls go buy. Sensor has not come in yet. Can you call and overnight one in? No they are back ordered. I cant use this machine.... I am bringing it in. "oh you mean its down" ??? No shi!. Case/new holland/ john deere/ etc all use the same part and it is being rationed out as the factory made a bad batch. We will take one off a new machine if we need to. It has cost me three trips more than likely 1.5 works days lost to driving. And at least 300 in fuel. A tank of def and no a vote of no confidence on the robustness of the high dollar machine. At this point I do not ever want to buy a new one again. I hate the emissions BS and I hate the fact that a computer is needed to work on it.
Currently sitting at 6 machines waiting for parts out of the 19 that are non-operational at this moment. Longest is currently at 169 days and counting...….
Well **** I guess you win then.
I'm not proud of it ……….
I ordered a top, middle, and roll around Kennedy tool box for my machine tools. I received top and center, Ups lost my roll around, got the second one look like they loaded it with a grapple bucket, got third they shipped it under D6, the forth one was perfect. Went to put it together the center[they recommended] was 2" wider than the rest of it oh well gave me something to bitch about for a month.
Mike I lost track of this thread, no its a Komatsu metric fine thread. The hose fittings are no longer made in 90 degree's. A lot of the older stuff, most know what's on them for fittings, but quite a bit of newer stuff, nobody has a clue what ends the companies used when they put them together new, for some reason, they don't state for parts what fitting ends are on machines anymore, so if your lucky enough to be the first to blow that hose, you have to first take it off, then take it in and since nobody stocks parts anymore, you then have to try to match up ends, so someone can make a hose for you to go back and put that made up hose on your new machine, while the right hose is being ordered. Around here anymore that's pretty much standard procedure, the days of calling parts and asking, what hose size, length and ends are on such and such hose are long gone, now your told, we don't know, you'll have to bring it in and we'll try to figure out from there. JCB, I'm not sure how the factory assembles machines, no two machines have the same parts in them and nobody knows what parts you'll get when your order them, I think they send out whatever they have in stock at the time, you need a transmission gear for a backhoe, so the company must go ask someone, hey you remember what transmission we put in backhoes, which has to be followed by, don't think we ever put a transmission in a backhoe, just send them a cam gear for the engine instead. Pins and bushings, forget it, you might as well have them made locally, its physically impossible to ever get the correct one for any machine if you ordered them.
LOL....this struck me as funny. Pettibone does this exactly. That is why the parts book that comes with the machine is so important. You could buy 2 of the same model machine with consecutive serial #'s, and they might have completely different cylinder designs between to 2 of them. It is super frustrating to buy parts for them as the parts manuals are not accurate most times.
Pettibone prints only one part book for each machine that goes in the machine. The factory has a electronic copy for every machine which is available for a fee. Most machine has some different parts as you stated. When I got a new electronic book for my old Super 6-33 it was full of information like whom the original owner was, where it was delivered to, etc. Maybe worthless info, but kind of cool to read 50 years after it was manufactured.
True! They used to incorporate the machine log records years ago. They show everything you can think of...……...the original buyer, all the recorded serial numbers for each component, part numbers for the components, etc.... Those are still available, they just don't include that information in the parts manuals any longer.