Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

I have a question for you cold weather people.

Jim D ยท 2015-11-21 22:32

I have a question for any one in the northern plains, Canada or Alaska; What specific brands of electric cord and air hose stays flexible in the cold. I've heard "I had these electrical extension cords, when I was in Alaska, that were soft in the coldest temperatures..." *but* no one tells me what brand or company made them. So what brands of electric cords and air hoses stay flexible in the cold? (For real, not the sno-job "Extra Flexible" crap that my hardware store sells.) Thanks, in advance...

Replies7
  1. #1Coaldust2015-11-22 00:34

    Wire Polar Wire Products makes great wire. Arctic Ultraflex Blue Premium is what you seek. Coaldust

  2. #2DK882015-11-22 15:20

    i got one of those green lines made by flexzilla? im happy enough with it..

  3. #3DDoug2015-11-22 18:53

    Air hose's, I use Goodyear rubber hose. Black or red, I do see they make an "Arctic" version in blue, but have not needed it (yet...) The orange P.V.C. stuff only gets used inside.

  4. #4OFF2015-11-22 20:43

    For hoses it's Goodyear Arctic Ortac or Ortac Plus. Flexible to -65F or about -55C. We use it for everything from air lines to fuel truck hoses. Any colder than -65F, you need to stay home that day. Haven't found any really good cords yet.

  5. #5Jim D2015-11-22 21:16

    Thanks, everyone! The Arctic Ultraflex Blue is what I'd heard about, but no one remembered the brand. The Artic Ortac hose looks like the thing (...Continental...)

  6. #6simonsrplant2015-11-23 00:34

    x2 on the flexzilla... Best I've used to date. I have blue Arctic good year hose on my reel and a flexzilla extension.

  7. #7Joeyslushr2015-12-06 23:09

    I haven't had any trouble with flexzilla hoses. Still role up nice at -20. And I don't know what kind of cords I got but they're blue/red and stay flexible in the cold. The orange rigid cords work good too