Hey everyone I was wondering for the guys who drive service trucks or move there tools around a lot how and what do you use to keep your sockets in order and in one place. I have all my sockets on the cheap metal rails but the sockets never stay on the rails and end up every where. I looked at a couple different rails but wanted to see what some of you guy where using and what works and what doesn't. Thank you
Honestly, many moons ago I started out with an orderly, regimental row of identical looking sockets but over the years individual ones got lost/broken/worn out and replaced with other individual ones, so now I just identify the different sizes by sight when they're mixed up in a drawer.
I bought the hanson plastic peg style form my chrome. I used the magnet plastic organizers for the impact sets. Mechanics helper brand. I used the vim magnetic rails for the rest.
I'm not fancy, I cut some plywood to fit the top of my box (I have a full sized top and bottom chest mounted inside my service van) then used wood screws of different lengths as my 3/8 and 1/2 socket pegs. Works well, sockets stay put for the most part and are easy to grab. I have a drawer with common sized spares. Only problem is they spin going down the road and rub one another making them unsightly, hence why I save my fancy-brand tools for the shop! I also used the plywood/screw idea for my wrench drawers which work great!
The top section of my box came with the metal rails already riveted in, and I have it full of sockets from 1/4 drive, to 1/2 drive impact. However, if you want something better try www.toolclip.com , and if you have any questions, talk to John at 203-874-0091...he has an OLD ford backhoe he plays with also... Howard
I bought a Snapon multi row socket rail with the locking pegs. You put the socket onto the peg, give it a twist and it is not going anywhere I was looking on the snap on site to post a link but can't see it anywhere. I think it cost me about 100 Canadian peso's a few years ago, so it would be about 60 US. I tried going the same route as Cmark, but I lost too many sockets that way, I like to be able to put everything back in its place, if there is a hole, there is a tool still on the machine somewhere. Just the way I am.
Dont get the spring loaded snap on one if you like to take the whole rail with you ok in the drawer but when you drop it outside it shoots sockets for miles in every direction https://store.snapon.com/Socket-Rai...-13-clips-for-1-2-drive-sockets--P642744.aspx I have been quite happy with gearwrench brand rails even though they are made of plastic
I personally use the cheap plastic rails from NAPA, They have a ball for retention and as]re flexible enough not to break easily, but still rigid enough to wag around out of the drawers. I wanted the 1/4 turn locking rails but to do all of my sockets I was getting close to $500 so I stuck with these
I bought some 1/2 steel rod I am going to make a socket holder will post pictures once I finish it thanks guys. post some pictures of your socket and wrench drawers
When I first started making a living turning wrenches I worked with some WWII vets that had big trays made out of some heavy sheet metal with small holes. There were angle iron sections at an angle that sockets were in and held in line like what you seen in a small tool tray. They had a big handle made out of what looked like 3/8 pipe. The neat thing about these trays is that you picked the thing out of the truck and had nearly everything you needed. Rain water would run through it and not collect. As you used each item and were done with it you put it back in the tray so didn't tend to lose so many small items. I've seen whole trays set in a solvent tank to wash some of the accumulated crud off. Set up on the shelf and let it drain overnight and go back to work in the morning. I asked many times about those trays and never got a good answer on where to find one. I'm guessing that they might have come out of the ship yards after the war. Were I going to keep busting knuckles for many more years I'm thinking I would make a drawing up and go to a sheet metal fabricator and get a few made up. One for me and a few to sell.
Plastic rail square pegs with ball détentes, I replace them when they fail.
This is a good ?? For my 1/4 stuff i took a piece of 1/4 plywood and drilled holes for 1/4 wood dowls. My 3/8 and 1/2 stuff i made trays with the flip over bar to keep them in the trays.
1/4 lives in the blow mounded case... Just couldn't keep that stuff in one place. Ever. For 3/8 and half inch I spot welded traditional steel socket rails to one of the drawers in my body. I must have ten rows in one drawer. Fairly close packed, then between the rows I have loose extensions and odd ratchets. Works pretty good for me. 3/4 and inch is a little less organized, just sat in sections, kinda organized kinda rough.
Hanson socket trays are pretty nice. Socket drawer on the truck has most of them. I like that the pegs flair out to the size of the socket, makes it harder to put it back on the wrong spot. The 3/8" SAE tray has a tendency to fall over on rough roads and the 1/2" metric didn't quite match up with the sockets i use. I need all the help i can get organizing. The ratchets, extensions, wobble sockets, and torx sockets still need help.
Montezuma box