Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

I have an option on a welding machine

truklodyte ยท 2010-03-07 19:43

I need info on a Miller big 40 gas driven continetial early 80's machine.How easy to replace rectifier or is it the restat. This unit has small flat head 4 cylinder with updraft carb. Is the year close to style it is or is it an older machine? Any help will be greatfully excepted

Replies5
  1. #1Oldiron2010-03-10 22:51

    The miller big 40 was built from the 70 s well into the eighties they are a good welder for heavy fabrication and guaging , they are not a pipeline welder, big 40s are known to have rheostat problems when used in the higher range setting at less than 50% if it has sat for a long time it could have brush issues I don't know if diode failure is common . Any welder repair shop should be able to diagnose the problems quite quickly, A good working machine should be worth $1800 - $2500 in the repair industry

  2. #2truklodyte2010-03-11 05:50

    Thank you I have decided not to get it .The repair bill would be to high for me.

  3. #3Oldiron2010-03-11 15:42

    just wanted to make sure I didn't miss lead you. The machine should be worth 1800-2500 in good running order . the repair cost for brushes would be about $200 if the shop put them in , rheostat about 150. parts 100 labor , diodes can be more :beatsmepricey

  4. #4truklodyte2010-03-11 19:09

    No you didn't. It just made it better aware of what I was getting into.Besides I don't have anything to lift it or place it on a trailer.

  5. #5OneWelder2010-03-12 13:45

    Tripod and chain falls - then back under