Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

I have GOT to yell & scream…..(JCB)

Coytee ยท 2025-08-25 11:11

some very good things! I've owned a JCB 1550-B for over 20 years. Yeah, I've replaced wear items. I have N.E.V.E.R. had an issue getting virtually any part I've needed. Fortunately, it's been stone reliable otherwise. Two weeks ago, had some nice boards in the front bucket (thank you wife) and they were up to 12-14' wide. So this was a mobile, temporary storage place for them HOWEVER, I had a fairly large fire going on. Unable to use loader, I used backhoe. I had to plant the stabilizers and push things around with the backhoe rather than using the bucket with the pretty wood strapped into it. Fine. Until it wasn't. All the sudden one of the wobble sticks let go. I immediately knew it stripped or something where it was being held. Limped to house, took things apart. Yep, the universal joint that bolts to the frame and bolts to the wobble stick base, simply blew apart. Ordered new one. Near week later, the new one arrives. It might have been new, but it wasn't "the one" It had been shipped out of Miami and was the wrong part. It was the (same) universal joint for a different machine. Long story short, I had sent an email and pictures to the local dealer. He double checked serial number. Yep, I had an XYZ machine. NO I DON'T have an XYZ. I have a 1550B. "Nope, the serial number clearly says it's "XYZ" He then figured out if he left off the last digit (/7 indicating it was center mount BH) the system changed and indeed, brought up a 1550B. Everyone is perplexed. He had the serial number of the machine, adding/dropping the "/7" at the end changed entire lineup. So they apologized profusely however, it's very easy to see it's not really their fault. I didn't really want to pay for shipping the wrong part back anywhere AND this dealer is maybe an hour from me. Manager gets on phone, "Where do you live"..... I live near..... "if I get in my truck, I will meet you anywhere you want or even come to your house. I'll pick up the wrong part so you won't have to worry about it and we'll then get you the right part ordered" (they didn't have it on hand) I'm thinking you surely have better things to do than drive an hour just to pick up a wrongly delivered part??? He was having none of that. So we met with him driving about 3/4 distance and I drove maybe 1/4 of the distance. I am stunningly impressed with their service. Also, I didn't even know they existed! He said they've done JCB parts for something like eight years. I believe they deserve a very strong shout out. As it happens, my loader dump cylinder has a small drip (probably resealed it 10-15 years ago). Once we get the correct universal joint in hand to verify they're now seeing the right parts for the right machine, I will happily send them more cash to get these parts replaced. I've normally just gone online to get them. Frankly, I don't really care if the cost is a little more..... their bending over backwards to be of service blew my mind. "Company Wrench LTD" (Knoxville, TN) Parts Dude: Brandon Daugherty Manager: Tim (??) 865-766-2571

Replies12
  1. #1Legdoc2025-08-25 11:17

    You got service the way it used to be on rare occasions. Definitely a unicorn in today's world.

  2. #2Coytee2025-08-25 11:48

    While handing him the part and chatting..... He told me of a story someone wanted some rubber tracks. Found them elsewhere for $100 less than this place prices. Tim told me he told the other guy he'd match the price. He then drove from his shop to (I think he said Kentucky?) to PICK UP the tracks....delivered them. He asked how the guy was going to install. The guy said he'd probably have to get some help. "Well....I'm here right now" "HUH???" So he proceeds to help the customer mount the tracks. Customer offered him a $100 and he said he refused it.... he just wanted to give good service. GOOD service my hiney. Hmmm....now that I know this, I wonder if he'll hand deliver the gland kit and maybe install it? lol It really is stupifying that he's done all this.

  3. #3JL Sargent2025-08-25 11:58

    Coytee, don't see you much these days. Don't really get on the Klipsch forum so much. Hope you and the wife well? Time keeps marching on.

  4. #4Coytee2025-08-25 12:22

    Howdy, yeah....all is well. Here's a long story (I'll shorten it a bit) Father (95) recently passed away. Had the family bible in house with his third wife who also became an ordained minister later in life. (opportunist?) 50 years ago, Grandfather told me this bible goes to the first male in family (me). 20 years ago, father asked me if I could get my sister to give me our grandparents Secretary (desk) would I be ok if SHE got the Bible?" (yes) Was at Sisters about month later, and she handed it over. This Bible is about 140 years old and has old obituaries from prior generations in it. Dad passed June 26. I asked his (again, THIRD wife) if she was ok if I picked up the bible. She burst into tears...."Richard, I PROMISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSE you will get the bible, I just can't do it yet" Fine. Meanwhile she's telling everyone she can't talk about ANYTHING as "I'm still processing things" Month later (just couple weeks ago) sister went there to visit her. I decided to show up because this doesn't need to be processed. We three in living room, I go to other room, grab bible set on table. "Becky, do you recall at funeral telling me "Richard, I PROMISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSE you will get the bible...." (direct quote) "I never said that" Excuse me? My mouth dropped that she would so blatently lie in front of me but I have some ideas why. I didn't say a word. I stood up, grabbed the Bible (which technically belongs to my sister as per the agreement we made with Dad who brought it up) Anyway, I stood up, grabbed bible, headed back to room where it was kept however, turned left....walked out front door......got in car and drove 8 hours home (Beaufort, SC to Knoxville). Sister gets off her phone "Where'd Richard go" Meanwhile, Dad's third wife asks my sister "What just happened" Sister goes to door shrugs shoulders, says he's gone. Our lineage goes back to the revolutionary war. If I'm counting right, my 5xgreat grandfather came from Scotland and died near Gettysburg (but don't know if he was in that battle). and she thinks she's going to keep this? over my dead body.

  5. #5aighead2025-08-25 15:11

    Well done to you and the service guys. It's always neat to hear people that want to give great service and I always appreciate hearing their businesses called out for it.

  6. #6Welder Dave2025-08-27 01:02

    I thought this would be a thread about bad JCB service by the title. Rare to have any kind of shop go out of their to help you. That's from a long bygone era.

  7. #7Coytee2025-08-28 04:57

    The rest of the story! (?) Checked email this morning for work reasons.... see one from 'Company Wrench'. He said he credited back the wrong universal joint....fine.... I was moving on, but decided to glance at it. Recap: Ordered the part, the wrong part was ordered. The manager personally drove almost an hour towards my house to pick it up. They refunded the original purchase AND the original shipping charges. So other than the surprise, as far as money goes, the first event "never happened". I just emailed Brandon about two seal kits for the loader bucket dump cylinders (rebuilt them maybe 15 years ago and other day, noticed a drip in one of them so going to nip it in the bud) and maybe new starter solenoid if possible. I almost feel guilty having service this good.....

  8. #8Welder Dave2025-08-28 17:16

    My dad had better than 75% market share because that's how he would treat his customers. There's way too many people working in places that just don't see the big picture. It's 9-5 and who cares if the customer doesn't have their parts or what they need on time. Good customer service goes a long way. Exceptional service pays big dividends. Most of my dads customers were more friends than customers. They'd take him to hockey games or out to supper instead of the other way around. He'd still take them out too. He really put himself in the customers shoes and studied up on the equipment he was selling so he could answer any questions asked about it. He'd also tell customers if a machine they were considering was a poor choice and the competition had a much better machine. He didn't mind at all if a customer bought a better machine than he could sell. He'd get the next 3 machines they bought. If a customer needed a part on the weekend, he would go in and get it for them. He told me to never worry about the jobs I didn't get (landscaping) but to worry about the jobs I did get. That was really good advice.

  9. #9Welder Dave2025-08-28 17:16

    Double post

  10. #10TXRweather2025-08-28 18:44

    I live a couple of hours west of Knoxville. I will definitely contact them when I go to replace the tracks on my CTL. Something tells me they will be surprisingly less expensive than CAT will be. It will be worth the trip to Knoxville just to pick them up.

  11. #11TXRweather2025-09-07 15:57

    Just put a quote request in online for a set of replacement tracks for my CTL. I just broke a track, so I gotta order a new set. If their price is a good and they have a set in stock, I'll roll on over to Knoxville on Wednesday and pick them up.

  12. #12Coaldust2025-09-07 16:13

    Good folks in East TN.