Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

I knew I retired for a reason

ianjoub · 2022-02-27 18:40

I had an independent 2 bay auto repair shop for 10 years. My wife convinced me to retire at 47, wow 5 years ago now! At any rate, I am waiting (over 3 months now) for my new F-350 to arrive. I bought an 2004 Expedition to use as a beat around in the mean time. It has an IRS 9.75" LSD rear end. The clutches had started to chatter. No problem I said to myself 1. The center chunk needs to come out of the truck as the mounting subframe is in the way of removing the diff cover. 2. Apparently there is some special tool that *really helps* to get the clutch packs out. I had the chunk out in 90 minutes, GOOD FOR ME!!!!! 4 hours later, I gave up and called my wife. It was entirely too much to hold the chunk from moving, hold the spider gears in place, turn the CV axle (on the bench) to roll them back in place once the clutches were replaced. Once she showed up and put her foot on the back of the diff to hold it, it was back together in 30 minutes. I resealed it and gave up for the day. I will reinstall it in the truck tomorrow or Tues.

Replies20
  1. #1hvy 1ton2022-02-27 21:03

    Weirdly, I watched this vid this morning while doing some paperwork. He also had a bit of trouble getting it back together.

  2. #2ianjoub2022-02-27 21:10

    The stick axles are easier to do while still installed. Everything is already held in place and you can use a pry bar on the axle shaft to spin the spiders back in place.

  3. #3thepumpguysc2022-03-02 08:03

    My wife bought me a shirt that says.. “Would someone PLEASE tell my wife, I’M RETIRED”..

  4. #4Nige2022-03-02 12:57

    I always knew that wives were to be kept around for a reason. Now I know what it is......!!

  5. #5CM19952022-03-03 08:41

    Good luck.. Ordered a '22 F350 on 10/12/21, confirmed same day Production date scheduled 1/13/22 for week of 2/28 Bumped from 2/28 to 3/7 Bumped from 3/7 to 3/21 Bumped from 3/21 to 3/28 Expect the 4th bump this Thursday or Friday when the emails go out. I might get the truck before the '23 order banks open in June.

  6. #6DDoug2022-03-03 09:02

    Well, at least it'll be fresh.....

  7. #7CM19952022-03-03 18:52

    HA! Good thing is I don't need the truck but I want the truck. First World problems right?

  8. #8dirty4fun2022-03-04 06:41

    I ordered a F350 about the same time, the only call I got was if you what the gooseneck hitch you won't get the truck this year. Still waiting for a production date, then the bump to latter.

  9. #9DMiller2022-03-04 08:05

    Ex Co-worker had bought a 2010 GMC Duramax ton dually crew for he and his wife to drag a camper with as well do some light hauling for himself. Well it is finally coming to need work where he has tried GM and Ford for a replacement, both are similar as to Bumps out for production, nothing on lots he would buy and does not want a used one. Last Looked DODGE, thought could do that until dealer sat him down for delivery total, LIST Price or no sale along with higher sales fees so stopped looking for now. Had been giving me crap over the KW rebuild but now agrees I may be on a better tack. And YES, I am still Almost Retired.

  10. #10CM19952022-03-04 08:57

    Ford has been producing some trucks with the 5th wheel hitch but it's still a commodity restraint. I have one on my order and if they don't build it this MY I'll order a '23.

  11. #11ianjoub2022-03-04 09:19

    Oh crap, I ordered the 5th wheel/gooseneck package.

  12. #12DDoug2022-03-04 11:40

    2022 Ford F-350 Super Duty Gooseneck Hitch | etrailer.com

  13. #13CM19952022-03-04 12:38

    I have 3 Superduty's with the factory hitch and I'll wait. Just a better system IMO than aftermarket.

  14. #14CM19952022-03-04 12:39

    If Ford hasn't issue a VIN yet I think you can change your order.

  15. #15ianjoub2022-03-04 12:55

    might as well wait now. I am likely to blow all of my truck money at the equipment auction this weekend

  16. #16hvy 1ton2022-03-04 14:25

    I've been told Midway in KC had 6000+ '21 superduty trucks on order when Ford cancelled all undelivered orders 10-01-21 and started over for the '22s.

  17. #17Bumpsteer2022-03-04 21:54

    A friend ordered a garage mans companion last year....reg cab, 8' bed,3/4 ton, 4x4, gasser work truck. Ordered at 3 different dealers and gm wouldn't accept the order. Had to go up 1 trim level to get it built, had it in 7 weeks. I think it would've went thru if it was a chevy, he had to have the gmc and those are now an upscale truck. Ed

  18. #18JD955SC2022-03-05 07:21

    I’ve never understood the mentality of buying a more expensive brand that is literally the exact same thing with a different badge. And doubly so for a work truck.

  19. #19DDoug2022-03-05 08:04

    You know the old saying:

  20. #20ianjoub2022-03-05 08:07

    We ordered the Navigator L for my wife instead of the Expedition Max. The frame and running gear may be the same, but it is not the same truck,