Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

I know I’m special, 418C Mulcher help

MrDigOR ยท 2016-07-16 19:49

I have a 418C that has trapped some debris that has obstructed the cutting wheel. The worktool book says to reverse the cutting head to dislodge the debris....but makes no mention of how to accomplish this (in the book's defense it does reference you back to the carrier unit manual for how to accomplish that, but I cant seem to find it in the 300 some pages of that book either). Basically, I feel like an idiot because I can't reverse the cutting wheel to dislodge the debris. The carrier unit is a 2016 299d2xhp, mulcher is brand new too. If anyone can help before CAT opens on Monday that would be awesome. Cheers, Greg

Replies9
  1. #1BradAZLR2016-07-16 20:08

    Here is the abridged version open the mulcher door tilt the mulcher forward so the drum is making contact with the ground and back drag with the machine lift up the arms pull forward and repeat. Other option is to find a stump and use that to roll the debris out. Sometimes they pop right out sometimes you have to work at it. You can also use a chainsaw. If it's fencing or some other similar material get yourself a good pair of bolt cutters. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2MrDigOR2016-07-16 20:35

    Thank you for the tip. I dont necessarily think beating it against the ground or another stump will get the cutting wheel into reverse. The wheel can cut in forward and reverse. I have since removed the debris manually, but still do not know how to engage the cutting wheel in reverse. Knowing how to do that would be very helpful. Cheers, Greg

  3. #3Tones2016-07-16 20:51

    Greg, another way if it stuck bad is to rap a chain around the rotor(maybe 3 laps) and hook the end onto a tooth. Secuire the other end to something solid and quietly reverse the machine. This will work for fence wire, steel wire rope, car rims, engine blocks and gearboxes, tractor and truck tyres, etc etc etc.

  4. #4BradAZLR2016-07-16 20:59

    Well if you removed it manually then it wasn't really stuck. By the way you don't beat the head against ground. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5lantraxco2016-07-16 23:10

    Don't know this CAT machine but typically auxiliary functions are bidirectional, as long as the mulcher is plumbed for bidirectional use all you have to do is read the machine manual to figure out how to engage either variable or constant flow in the reverse direction. Some motor setups have only a single pressure line and the return goes straight to tank, those are not readily reversible.

  6. #6MrDigOR2016-07-17 01:12

    Tell me about it!!! I still have not found it in the manual. It's written plainly in the 418C manual that it's bidirectional, but still cant find it in the 299's manual how to reverse the flow. Cheer, Greg

  7. #7lantraxco2016-07-17 01:22

    How do you engage the flow to start with?

  8. #8Tones2016-07-17 01:28

    The valve block may not allow reverse rotation. I know Fecon mulchers don't

  9. #9Mark2502016-07-17 03:45

    Cant find the hm418C in SIS but the 418B has a check valve between the two main lines to allow for inertia loads to free wheel once the host machine disables the mulcher To enable reverse flow for the 299D it is just a matter of moving the thumb wheel in the opposite direction. this will change the work flow paths to the mulcher The motor is bi directional but it will depend on the flow rate of the one way check valve whether there will be any force generated in the reverse direction.At the very least using the thumb wheel for reverse will allow the rotor to be able to be turned in reverse direction by manual means as suggested in previous posts