Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

I love winter

Mike L · 2013-01-02 17:14

-9 at 5:30 this morning. trucks don't start, and everything seems to fall apart. phone rang steady from customers today. supposed to be even colder tomorrow. gotta love winter, its great if you're in the repair business!

Replies14
  1. #102Dmax2013-01-02 19:03

    we had 4 with a -20 windchill the day after christmas here in northwest missouri, and its been only in the lower 20's for highs ever since. I've put in at least a dozen block heaters and thawed a bunch of brake drums on trucks. Sometimes I wish it was my truck that was froze down so I'd have an excuse to stay home, lol. It's not bad though, I'd be bored at home by 8 o'clock anyhow.

  2. #2250c2013-01-02 20:03

    Mike I remember those days, I grew up in Houlton---- now any morning with a frost is a cold one lol.

  3. #3RobVG2013-01-02 21:48

    29 this morning. Had work lined up so I'd be in the shop most of the day. Got a call before even getting to work- 160 won't start, batteries are shot. Double drum diesel walk behind won't start. A fresh set of batteries and a propane torch took care of things. At least they were both on the same job site and the sun was shining.

  4. #4Dualie2013-01-03 01:50

    i was super unpleased when it was 42 deg this am. I might not come out the house if it got cold enough to freeze standing water.

  5. #5Steve Frazier2013-01-03 02:31

    It got down to 6 degrees F last night here, coldest night of the season thus far. Currently 11. I have to plug my truck in if I expect to start it.

  6. #6Steve Frazier2013-01-03 07:50

    -2°F at 7am! That's cold for here!

  7. #7stumpjumper832013-01-03 11:57

    and i spent yesterday afternoon clearing mud and semi frozen mud from dozer tracks... all so it doesnt turn into a solid block.

  8. #8cutting edge2013-01-03 21:36

    I had a 3/4 impact gun frozen to my bare(dumbass) hand last week....had to carry it to the truck and thaw it out in the cab to get it unfrozen......tell me more about winter.

  9. #9JGS Parts2013-01-04 00:04

    Yeah its -31c where iam at the moment got workers complaining about working with the tools also driving the machine with no cab on is no fun in the cold and snow moving from the workshop floor to the painting room (500m away)

  10. #10Greg2013-01-20 09:14

    It is +3 degrees F here this morning (Sunday). Wind blew like crazy last night, dead elm tree down across the driveway this morning. Guess it is going to get pushed out of the way with snow plow on truck for today then cut up when it warms up. Going for -12 degrees F tonight. Oh ya, it was +45 degrees F yesterday.

  11. #11bushcat2013-01-20 10:03

    balmy -43 with the windchill here this morning brrrr

  12. #12digger242j2013-01-20 10:54

    Current forecast for this week: I know it doesn't compare to places further north, but that'll be the coldest it's been here for a few years, and I'm not looking forward to it.

  13. #13mitch5042013-01-21 23:01

    Supposed to be 45f for a high tomorrow, 21 tomorrow night, and 48 wednesday, I am miserable already, even though it was 64 today and not even supposed to frost tonight. Yeah, I know I'm a wimp. The coldest I've ever seen here was 4f in 1985, and I wound up fighting fire all night.

  14. #14HATCHEQUIP2013-02-16 22:31

    Mitch I remember 1985 I was in lagrange georgia on a big treatment plant job Id work all day and then sleep in the job office and go around and rev all the equipment up and then go around and idle it back down every hour or 2 so that they could work the next day best I remember we had it that way for 3 or 4 days and they sure werent used to it down there