Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

I’m Old and retired!

DMiller · 2018-04-08 15:26

But I ain't dead yet. Decided to put some old Questionable skills to work on a imbibing station for my Off Hours(Almost All day every day!) Came up with this as a start. Sometimes old skills and a vivid imagination can be a bad combination. ​

Replies41
  1. #1td25c2018-04-08 16:06

    That turned out really nice ! Looks like it's all well mounted to the wall studs . Is that a position for a sink or small refrigerator to the left of the vent ?

  2. #2Junkyard2018-04-08 16:09

    It's for the pizza oven.

  3. #3DMiller2018-04-08 16:18

    Is for a sink, HAHA, Pizza Oven!!! Is 5/16x3" lag bolted into the studs so should be there awhile. Will be getting cabinet doors and drawers with that air return vent inside a false cabinet, just did not want it all open and staring at me all the time, UGLY. Just do not Zoom in on the welding, I am still a practicing mechanic/welder/machinist!! Not fully acquired skills just get by! Also used a .030 wire 210 Miller MIG and on 11Ga is a little hefty, kind of like dipping coat hanger into flux and using for stick welding sheet metal!! Flap wheel got a little aggressive in spots but I am also blind in one eye can't see out the other as well MAY have been doing some sampling taste testing to make certain the goods were still good while doing this!! Have a TON of left over White Ash flooring leftovers, looks as they may get repurposed to the countertop and using knotty white pine for shelf lumber with a Urethane finish no stains as I be of simple values.

  4. #4Labparamour2018-04-08 18:29

    That's looking great! May need to add a shelf or two...looks like the one is already full Darryl

  5. #5Junkyard2018-04-08 18:30

    That shelf was overflowing....the fact that it's not now might be the reason some of the welds are sketchy....haha Luv ya Miller!

  6. #6Volvomad2018-04-08 18:43

    Nice to see u getting your priorities right now that you are in your prime . Making my mouth water as I type .

  7. #7DMiller2018-04-08 19:40

    You will be happy to know I have what is supposed to be one of Ireland's finest, yet unopened Redbreast Irish Whiskey 15 yr as well a bottle of Quiet Man 8 yr bought on a whim. I am a Common Sewer as to whiskey/whisky, it ALL tastes pretty damn good and I have no issue with a good single malt blended Scotch or switching to a dependable single barrel US Bourbon, even have a bottle of Absinth although is actually from a MO still.

  8. #8DMiller2018-04-08 19:52

    I play no favorites, I do have a significant supply and do have spares to the harder to find! We have a local distiller at New Haven MO, Pinckney Bend Distilling, very class act, delivers one of the finest short aged easy to sip at whisky's and gin, I am a devout follower. Still love the good Bourbons.

  9. #9DMiller2018-04-08 19:57

    The smallish bottle to the right of My Scotch and Irish whiskeys is a sneaky little b*****d, Grappa. Made at a local winery, about half that bottle will set you in a chair unable to get out!!

  10. #10Junkyard2018-04-08 20:08

    I think I know what we're doing on the next visit! Haha

  11. #11DMiller2018-04-08 20:15

    More than likely!!

  12. #12Volvomad2018-04-10 17:36

    There is only 1 thing to do with a sealed bottle of whiskey . When you solve that little problem, enjoy a glass for me .

  13. #13Willie B2018-04-10 20:27

    WOW! I agree, good quality whiskey all tastes good, Irish, Kentucky, Scotch, etc.

  14. #14DMiller2018-04-22 12:05

    Gotten a little further, slow process, was doing fitup, have already cut sink hole and working on backsplash parts.

  15. #15DMiller2018-04-23 06:38

    And yes that is leftover hardwood flooring with offal stair nose pieces. Can't help I am cheap!! except for the drinking part!

  16. #16DMiller2018-05-31 20:05

    Latest installment, I know you are all awaiting with baited breath!!! LOL! The actual bar support, have a slab of Sugar Maple going to start that process next to set upon this frame. Got it square as I could with a hand square and spot welds(still pulled off true, ****!) got it painted up and was letting it cure but couldn't take it so hung it! Outer leg has two 1/2" bolt feet for some added stability, have a angle bracket to drill and set at the corner of the short shelves to the frame lower crossbar. The stemware glass rack I made two weeks ago, works pretty slick.

  17. #17Junkyard2018-05-31 20:08

    I’ll let you know when the living quarters/office is ready for the bar

  18. #18DMiller2018-05-31 20:12

    A single treasured memento from my Father In Law, prominently displayed on the bar, It aint a going nowhere else!

  19. #19Junkyard2018-05-31 20:13

    Just reading the word Stag gives me heartburn!

  20. #20DMiller2018-05-31 20:13

    Hey bubba! Just remember I don't work Cheap!! At least a case of Stag a week!! Oh and I need to get a welder that will feed less than .035 wire at a lower heat, man that was rough welding this tubing!

  21. #21Junkyard2018-05-31 20:15

    If that’s the case put me down for a year

  22. #22Willie B2018-05-31 20:25

    When anybody west of VT uses the term Sugar Maple, I get nervous. I did a counter top once for my sister. It was to be ceramic tile, with a Sugar Maple molded edging. I asked if she'd prefer tap holes exposed, or hidden. I think she misunderstood. She didn't want holes. Later, she discovered the tap holes were underneath, and was upset they didn't show.

  23. #23DMiller2018-05-31 20:35

    This was a slab from down in the big city, never was 'Tapped'. Company I bought a used GMC from is PAID by the cities to remove unwanted Old Growth trees from right of ways, they have to toil at removing some 50-150 year old Ash, Maple, Gum, Walnut, Hickory and a few others of significant value. They then slab the trunks for sales or sell veneer grade lumber off. Owner told me sold ONE walnut log for $2200. Boys have quite the racket going! Will have to pin the feathering but should look sweet live edge finished.

  24. #24Willie B2018-06-01 07:26

    Spalted, it'll be soft. Use a good sealer, and hard top coat My son found a 6' diameter, 8 foot long cherry burl in the national forest. The tree was already cut. We got a permit to take it. We had quite an expedition to get it. Several men, a trailer, my 56 Power Wagon for winches, and dump body. In the process of moving it, I concluded it was too rotted to be of value. We abandoned the project. A local furniture maker selling ultra high end furniture had a garage with roll back retrieve it, and built dozens of pieces of furniture, selling for many thousands. He used a penetrating, hardening clear product to firm it up.

  25. #25DMiller2018-06-01 08:42

    Oh I know the soft nature of the slab!! Been working wood since 12, love the Character of the slab the wife actually picked it out. Good solid support frame, not going to be carrying a lot of surface load, will be gluing and pinning the feathered edges then trimming back the ends(8' in length now) then a full set of coatings in either resin or Polyurethane, anything that will soak in and draw out the faults and lines of the slab. Not structural just decorative.

  26. #26DMiller2018-07-12 16:25

    Finally got to it, used glass resin to seal/glue the edge cracks and featherings, got that done sanded and cut to length. got to a finish level I could deal with and applied clear Poly to the backside(down face) not stained at all

  27. #27td25c2018-07-12 21:26

    Nice work DMiller ! I never got the hang of wood working . I would cut it off to short every time & then ponder about how to weld it back together .

  28. #28DMiller2018-07-13 06:48

    This will be the visual face wanted Live Edge and flaws to show.

  29. #29Willie B2018-07-13 21:48

    I've been fascinated with wood, mostly the way it was worked 200 years ago since late teens. I dreamed of building my own post & beam house. Never found the time. I did build my own house in a style common in 1780. It includes some hand hewn timbers, but the time investment was overwhelming in my youth. Joinery, (fastening wood without metal fasteners) is a particular interest to me. In my 20's I built some kitchen cabinets with no glue, nails, or other metal fasteners. In the day I wasn't equipped for blacksmith work, so my cabinet hinges were pintle hinges of wood, as a settler here in VT might have done if no blacksmith made hinges were available, or affordable. When Seth grew to toddler age, I couldn't go to the cellar without him. Either he, or I were certain to lose a hand. Little woodworking has happened since.

  30. #30Hobbytime2018-07-14 09:11

    my house and barn are 1850s post and beam, when I first bought the place it needed some work, but not a nail was used for framing in the original build, its amazing how strong the old post and beam buildings were and how well the real craftsmen could put stuff together...

  31. #31DMiller2018-07-14 09:20

    My own Great Aunt and Uncle's farm barn was mortise and tenon pinned structure built by either Amish or Mennonite in the early 1900's, as I was young it had a defined lean to most of it as the support stones settled into the dirt of Illinois but was always solid. They passed long ago, the barn stood for a long time before our cousin's husband decided was too far gone to save so tried to push it down and it refused to die. Took him a steady week of chain sawing timbers, driving pins, finally torching the structure to knock it to the ground. I asked him of regret as to not selling the old barn to others that would have salvaged it, he still felt was too far gone to save, very narrow minded.

  32. #32kshansen2018-07-14 10:33

    Property I rented from the company for several years had a house that was nothing special but did have an old barn with the hand hewed beams with pegs holding it together. Was sad to see a few years after I had built my house just down the road someone in management decided it would save them a few dollars in property taxes if there were no structures on the land. So they had the local fire department torch it! Barn was straight and true and about the only thing it really needed was new shingles, the old ceder shakes were very worn and while living there we had patched the worst spots with roll roofing. It's a shame to see old structures wasted like that!

  33. #33DMiller2018-07-14 16:19

    Well is situated and set. Now on to three doors and two drawers.

  34. #34Mother Deuce2018-07-14 17:27

    I have a shot glass and the other half and I will be on the way! Nice work Sir!

  35. #35John C.2018-07-15 13:02

    Now that is the kind of shop office I want to work in!

  36. #36DMiller2018-11-28 13:35

    A little update, getting the back cabinet fronted, drawers are glued and drying currently.

  37. #37John C.2018-11-28 17:51

    Thanks for the photos. It's nice that you got back to retirement work for your pleasure.

  38. #38DMiller2018-11-30 21:13

    Well heavy construction is done, drawers and all fronts are complete, may have to reposition the runners under the right drawer but adjustment was expected.

  39. #39td25c2018-11-30 21:25

    Looks great & plenty sturdy !

  40. #40farmerlund2018-11-30 21:59

    Nice work on the bar DMiller, looks well stocked to.

  41. #41DMiller2018-12-01 08:04

    Not many will see it in the build, I suspect most of you note something Familiar. The industrial shipping crate or assembly retention rack. I see some of my past in this bar that no one else can imagine but those that shipped or unboxed crated pieces or had the industrial racks to shield and ship large machinery. A reminder of my past, a touch of sentimentality. A toast to those of us that work with our hands and minds.