Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

I’m proud of my niece!

wlhequipment · 2023-03-09 15:06

This is my niece, IVY. I knew she was messing around with cars, but I didn't know she was doing this! SO PROUD

Replies20
  1. #1Tones2023-03-09 19:18

    It's good to see young folk achieving and makes even more special considering the crap that's around.

  2. #2Truck Shop2023-03-09 19:34

    Good for her and others involved, maybe when she's done she can teach Penske a thing or two.

  3. #3Welder Dave2023-03-10 00:11

    I have a niece named Ivy too. She's not only a great driver but also a great motorcycle rider.

  4. #4scholzee2023-03-10 07:51

    You should be proud !!! I wish more schools would do that we are in dire need of skilled trades bot Women and Men. Ten years ago my kids shop they ordered kits to assemble. Could not use drill press, table saw, mill, lathe you name it all locked out school said liability insurances was too costly. I wish her the best I do get a little concerned whos driving 200 mph is nothing for first timers to try and achieve. Most tracks with tech inspection needs the frame done by certified welders, I'm sure they got that all figured out. You better go watch it at the track.

  5. #5Vetech632023-03-10 07:55
  6. #6mitch5042023-03-10 11:02

    Be sure to let us know how it goes in Texas. Also, I sure do hope that shop teacher's last name isn't prophetic.

  7. #7wlhequipment2023-03-10 15:33

    This Ivy rides too. Trials. You sure its not the same kid? Are we related? JK.

  8. #8wlhequipment2023-03-10 15:36

    I know it. I took shop class back in the day, and you don't see it anymore. Honestly. I've been thinking about volunteering at my kids' school. Maybe start one up again. Or ask about it, at least. I don't think the kids are going to be doing the driving. That's a real good question though. I'm going to ask her this weekend.

  9. #9wlhequipment2023-03-10 15:37

    I had to watch it again yeah I hope not too

  10. #10kshansen2023-03-10 19:32

    Well back in I think 1965 when I was in 9th grade the boys go 1/2 a year in metal shop. One kid, Scott, was using the foot powered sheer to cut off a narrow strip of steel problem is he managed to also chop off his left index finger near the first joint! Once teacher figured out the kid was not just joking around he was sent to the nurse who just happened to be his mom! As luck would have it this was just before lunch and the meal for the day was fish fingers with catsup, don't think anyone if the class felt like eating that day. Back then doc's were not as skilled at reattaching severed things but they tried and had to eventually remove it!

  11. #11chidog2023-03-10 19:46

    This is great. I just wish this would have been happening when I was that age. I've been saying for a long time young women have way more on the ball that the males do.

  12. #12Welder Dave2023-03-10 21:19

    Having competent teachers goes a long way. Unfortunately some so called "shop teachers" are far from qualified let alone be put in a position to teach kids. Having said that there are some people, not just kids that should stay as far away from any kind of tools or mechanical devices as possible. Classic example of an accident waiting to happen. Was talking with a guy who had an auto repair shop and his son was taking automotives in high school. I happened to know the teacher because he raced MX. The guy wanted to go to the school and beat some sense into the teacher. He couldn't believe it when his kid told him the teacher was jacking cars up to work underneath them and not using or even insisting on (the students) using jack stands! Knowing this idiot, it didn't surprise me. He called himself a "technoid". He promoted an indoor MX race at a monster truck show and in the hallways of the arena played a loop video of himself balancing on his dirt bike in a stationary position. I almost fell out of my chair when his son said he showed the same ridiculous video to his high school auto class. He tried to pass himself of as a pro rider but would have trouble winning an intermediate level race. Apparently the guy used his house as collateral to put the race on and ended up stiffing a lot of people including the insurance company. I volunteered to help flag because I got a free pit pass and could watch the whole event. I heard it was close to $25K the guy owed and was sued over it but can't confirm that number. Didn't surprise me at all though. More of a hemorrhoid than a technoid if you ask me.

  13. #13chidog2023-03-11 01:06

    Shop teachers. Even in my high school days most of them where lacking, I used to fix their cars for them.

  14. #14Welder Dave2023-03-11 02:41

    I was very fortunate to have great shop teachers in Jr. high school and experienced tradesmen for teachers in the trades school I went to for high school. I remember my welding teacher saying some of the teachers in other schools weren't qualified enough to be teaching (welding anyway).

  15. #15wlhequipment2023-03-31 15:06

    Update: I was in Chicago when she was down in TX, but I stayed around long enough for her to come home and get the news. Bottom line is, it didn't go. The team didn't do any testing at all before they loaded up and headed to TX. Really unfortunate there. Not even one run down the street. They had a drag link snap, the radiator was too small, and the engine lost oil pressure right away, so they didn't even get to run that truck. Their driver did find someone to loan them a Toyota Supra for a run, so they managed to not completely waste the day, but it was no bueno for the team, overall. They're pushing 800 HP from a small block, and they had a radiator from a 4 cylinder Honda on there. It might have kept it cool enough for a 1/4 mile run, but not much longer after that. I feel badly for her, but she's in good spirits, she found value in the experience as a whole, and she learned a LOT about how this stuff can go sideways. Since this is related to the school, I don't know what the future holds for her and that team, but I can tell ya, she's not done yet!

  16. #16Welder Dave2023-03-31 15:35

    If this was a school project and was supervised by a teacher(s), it would appear that maybe the teacher/designer wasn't as good at automotives as they thought. I wouldn't think an 800 HP drag racer could just show up and run down the track without any testing especially if the driver was inexperienced. Did it have to pass a tech inspection? It kind of sounds like it was destined to fail from the start.

  17. #17wlhequipment2023-04-01 13:59

    I can only guess that they simply ran out of time, and took their best shot. Sometimes that’s all you can do. Who knows, maybe the instructor told the class what’s going on before they left, and took a vote on whether or not to risk it? I don’t know. Mistakes were made, and all you can do is just move forward. When I was a younger (and much thinner) man, I raced amateur motocross at Budd’s Creek, MD. About a 4 hour drive from where I lived in VA. Try as I might to make sure I brought everything, I would miss stuff like premix, or extra hardware or basic stuff like that. Hell once I was doing a heat early in the day, hit a tabletop, and my damn seat fell off because I didn’t install the bolts. I caught it between my leg and the bike, and got back to pit row. I had to walk around asking people for bolts. That was back before everyone was a prima Donna so it didn’t take me long. I don’t remember how I made out the rest of the day, but I was able to keep racing. Anyhow, **** happens I guess

  18. #18Welder Dave2023-04-01 15:20

    I've seen seat belts come out and the seat fly off. It happened to one of the fastest guys here with a couole laos left. He won the race less his seat because he only sat down in the corners. It was quite amazing to watch. I probably tightened my seat bolts too much after seeing that. I lost my supposed lock nut style Honda rear axle nut in practice. Another guy with the same bike broke something on his bike. I borrowed his axle nut and adjuster block and we shared my bike since he was in a different class. A rag in the air box is not that uncommon either. Budds Creek must have been a great track to ride.

  19. #19wlhequipment2023-04-02 10:14

    Budd’s was tons of fun. They would switch direction of the track every so often, just to keep it interesting. I was never any good at racing, never won one, but man there is just something about lining up with 20 other guys, engines screaming, everyone gunnin’ for that first turn… whew. I came back to racing, just a couple years ago, on a 45O this time, and things have changed. Maybe it’s me, but it’s just not the same. Where did you race?

  20. #20Welder Dave2023-04-02 17:35

    Wasn't a 40 rider gate? I wasn't very fast but raced in Alberta. Favorite track was Antler Lake. I did the track prep there for about 10 years including a round of the 1999 Canadian nationals. I made a deal with the 2 clubs that used the track to haul about 300 yards of sand to the track earlier that year. I was kind of proud of that because the 2 clubs didn't really get along. I think that was the best prepped the track ever was. It was a very fun track because you could go fast on several sections even if you weren't that fast overall. I was pretty good friends with Zoli Berenyi Sr. who won the world vet championship 12 times. 2nd most all time. I got into track prep helping him. He asked me if a skid steer could do much and the rest is history. I used my tractor too. I stopped doing the prep because in the early 2000's only 1 club used the track and a new president didn't want to acknowledge what anybody before had ever done. He got someone else to do it that cost the club 10 times more money and the guy eventually ruined the best feature of the track. There was a big hill with about a 50ft. table top jump at the top with a steep landing. The fast guys made it look easy and slower guys would just bounce of the top. It was a safe jump because everyone knew about and was easy to adjust your speed coming up the hill. Well this guy cut over half of the table top off and made it a very gradual landing. Totally ruined it. Now even Jr. riders have to slow right down to avoid over jumping it and flat landing. It used to be a 4th gear partial throttle jump downshift to 3rd in the air for the fast guys. Now I think you could over jump it in 2nd gear pinned. Beyond stupid when accelerating up an 80 to 100ft. hill on about a 45 deg. angle. One of the fastest guys forgot how much he had to slow down and I think had a mild concussion from flat landing and going down.