I need a set of snow tires for my skid steer next year. Wolf Paws are expensive. Is this still the way to go or is there an economical alternative? Thank you.
I had great traction with the Kold Kutter studs I put in my tires and barely scratched the coating on my driveway. The wife did a few doughnuts and I showed her the scratches and she didn’t do it again. 2 months later and you can’t even see the scratches.
Check with a larger truck tire provider, we have Pomp's tires here in Wisconsin (they are multi state) and they recap semi truck tires with a tread that is pretty good for use in the winter. Yes we have to have different rims as they are taller and narrower which also helps them bite thru the snow and get faster ground speed which also helps plowing. We have 10 skids running them and they work incredibly well, almost too good of traction at times. Just an idea to look into and they are a bit cheaper than Wolf Paws the last time I looked
Thanks guys. Are we talking about 19.5 truck tires? Can anyone give thoughts on 19.5 truck tires vs wolf paws for a skid steer? I found a set of lightly used Goodyear G622 RSD on 19.5 wheels. Thanks.
The one we run are actually 22.5, the size of most semi truck tires. They are a bit of a pain to swap onto the machine but the trade off in terms of traction for plowing and the increased ground speed definitely make up for it. One word of caution, maybe its just us and our so called operators, I've found lug nuts like to loosen up on them for some reason. I'm not sure if its the fact that they grip so well and the cone shape of the lug nut just isn't quite enough to keep them tight or what but we have mitigated this by having them torqued at initial install and then retorque after every snow event as part of the servicing that goes on (check fluids, top fuel, grease etc.) between storms.
It sounds like the 22.5 setups are for bigger machines. I have a bobcat s150. It looks like people run 19.5s with 225 or 245 tires. Any idea how wide your 22.5 set up is? I found a used set of 245s but not sure if I should go for the narrower. Thanks.
I'm not framiliar with the Bobcat sizes as we run all Deere products, the smallest skid we have is a 324G and go up to the 330G in wheeled skids. The tires are 37" tall and about 10" wide give or take. They do fit on the 324G machine altho it was close, to the point we had the dealer put a set on before we commited to that size machine as we wanted one size tire for all the skids.