Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

I need help identifying this loader please.

Novice Logger · 2024-03-25 21:37

I recently acquired this ford L9000 with this log loader mounted on it. Stickers and paint are long gone, and the data plate is missing as well. It is a twin stick with an extendable boom. I can't find anything out there that looks the same. Fold down outriggers are few and far between. I'm trying to repair a destroyed gear/spline shaft for the main rotor and don't have a good place to start. if someone can tell me how to load more pictures I will.

Replies48
  1. #1Novice Logger2024-03-25 21:50

    More Photos to go from. Hoping they help.

  2. #2Coaldust2024-03-26 02:25

    Rack & pinion rotate?

  3. #3Novice Logger2024-03-26 16:16
  4. #4Novice Logger2024-03-26 16:18

    I found out last night it's an Iowa mold tooling unit. Never heard of them but the part number lead me to them, still trying to find out a model. What I did find is that that broke piece is an expensive 16 pound piece of metal.

  5. #5Coaldust2024-03-26 16:26

    IMT was going to be my guess, if it was rack & pinion. Nice unit. That rig will provide you the ability to log, until all your money is gone and then some.

  6. #6Novice Logger2024-03-26 16:36

    Any recommendations on longevity ? Slow is smooth, smooth is fast? I'm trying to get the manual and doing the service as much as I'm able to with out more to go on. Any idea what Hydraulic oil I should get for it. Going to bite the bullet and get a drum. I have to flush the lines anyhow.

  7. #7IceHole2024-03-26 16:41

    I've never seen an IMT loader/crane with a grapple. Interesting.

  8. #8Coaldust2024-03-26 16:42

    I’m an oil guy, maybe I can help. What temperatures do you work in and what brand of hydraulic pump does that rig have? That’s what we need to know.

  9. #9Coaldust2024-03-26 16:43

    Those were popular in da woodz. Back in the old days.

  10. #10Novice Logger2024-03-26 16:47

    I'll climb under and get some info on the pump next time I'm there. Temps are upstate NY. I don't plan on working the coldest days so maybe high 20s - 80s.

  11. #11crane operator2024-03-26 19:27

    My brother in law used to work for IMT. They build a lot of smaller knuckleboom/ service truck stuff. Was likely a sheetrock delivery truck that they pulled the forks off and put a grapple on. You have to look at the repair shaft as "I can't buy a different loader for less".

  12. #12Truck Shop2024-03-26 19:46

    Can't figure why my friend Steve won't part with this self loader, been setting for 20 years or so. 1982 KW W900 A model Cat---1/2" single frame rails on 52,000 lb hendricks SSHD's. Just setting and rots a little more each day. Has about 375,000 miles on it. *

  13. #13Mike L2024-03-26 20:11

    I’m on my 3rd IMT service truck. I’m a big fan. well built with great customer support.

  14. #14IceHole2024-03-27 00:47

    Imt? I've only seen them as service truck cranes, plywood, roofing, etc lifters, that sort of thing. Log loaders... Barko, Savage, Prentice, Olympic, Serco, and probably dozens more. Not sure what mine is. Truck is late 70s.

  15. #15Coaldust2024-03-27 03:30

    They still make the T50 & T30. I think it’s more of an East coast, short logger, hardwood thing. IDK?

  16. #16Coaldust2024-03-27 03:44

    I looked at the manual and IMT recommends ATF. I question if that’s what I would recommend vs a 10 weight AW fluid, but nothing wrong with going along with IMT.

  17. #17IceHole2024-03-27 10:34

    I grew up in Maine, prime logging territory.

  18. #18IceHole2024-03-27 10:36

    That's got to be an OLDDD book. Type A? That's like 1950s ATF!

  19. #19525isx2024-03-27 14:20

    so that somebody else will get rid of it someday !

  20. #20Truck Shop2024-03-27 17:17

    He's had several good , serious , offers that were in the park as far as money. He is a hoarder.

  21. #21525isx2024-03-27 17:26

    thats what i figured- "i'm gonna use it"

  22. #22Truck Shop2024-03-27 17:28

    He's a 69 year old broken down logger that's broke-he will never see the woods again, at least not to work in.

  23. #23525isx2024-03-27 18:57

    most every gypo logger I've seen always has old junk around - yarder,shovel,cat ,something I grew up in the industry, I see plenty !

  24. #24Mike L2024-03-27 19:36

    Me too. Where are you from?

  25. #25IceHole2024-03-27 23:08

    Van Buren

  26. #26Old Growth2024-03-28 00:30

    I randomly haul with one.

  27. #27Mike L2024-03-28 07:15

    No wonder you moved to Alaska. Must’ve been looking for a warmer climate. I’m originally from Burnham.

  28. #28IceHole2024-03-28 13:23

    That's near Waterville isn't it? My grandfather had siblings that lived there in the 80s-early 2000s (all have passed now)

  29. #29Mike L2024-03-28 14:48

    yes sir. Your family was in Waterville or Burnham?

  30. #30IceHole2024-03-28 16:50

    Around Waterville. Possibly a town nearby. I just remember it being a huge deal when they visited, like they traveled from India ir something haha Granted my folks and grandfolks pretty much have/will die in the area they were born. I'm the outlier that moved to "afar"

  31. #31Novice Logger2024-03-28 20:12
  32. #32Novice Logger2024-03-28 20:13

    Got these off the pump. So what I'm reading is that atf is a regular thing instead of hydronic fluid. I wouldn't have guessed that.

  33. #33Coaldust2024-03-29 02:54

    Sperm Whale oil was a common additive in Type A until 1975.

  34. #34Coaldust2024-03-29 03:06

    Hydraulic oil will be less expensive than ATF. Commercial Intertech is very general on their lubricant recommendation. A 10wt or an AW32 will serve you well.

  35. #35Novice Logger2024-03-29 06:57

    Thank you so much!

  36. #36Hallback2024-04-07 09:43

    That's because Steve won't part with anything!

  37. #37Truck Shop2024-04-07 09:56

    Common everyday hoarder.

  38. #38Hallback2024-04-07 15:46

    Sad thing is a lot of that stuff he's been sitting on has dropped in value so much that it's probably lost 70% of its value in the last 5 years

  39. #39Truck Shop2024-04-07 15:57

    True, but most has been run into the ground, so at best scrap price by the pound.

  40. #40Hallback2024-04-07 17:00

    Did he ever move the other yarder back to his shop?

  41. #41Truck Shop2024-04-07 17:57

    The 71 is still setting where it was, the other orange Madill is setting up the road on the way to my shop, under carriage is real bad. The old log yard is completely cleaned out, he had to move every last scrap, the port wanted him out. *

  42. #42Hallback2024-04-07 18:25

    Well hopefully he can offload some of that stuff to give him a few nickels for retirement. The way the log market is I doubt they're doing any work right now

  43. #43Truck Shop2024-04-07 18:29

    He hasn't done any real logging in years, just some real small patches. His son will be the one to scrap it.

  44. #44Hallback2024-04-07 19:41

    Yeah, I should probably ring him up and see if he's ready to sell that line truck yet or not. He was about 33% high on the price last time

  45. #45Truck Shop2024-04-07 20:51

    He might--he's pretty strapped.

  46. #46Hallback2024-04-07 23:34

    Yeah I'll have to give him a buzz here sometime next week. Speaking of strapped, this freaking move to Idaho has been a piggy bank raiding son of a gun!

  47. #47Mike L2024-04-08 06:48

    Did you move your residence there or just the operation?

  48. #48Hallback2024-04-08 09:11

    Just the operation for now but if it's still profitable in a year then I will move residence also