We just purchased a used bobcat T250 (1500 hours). It started fine when it was warm. However, we got a lot of snow and cold the past few days (finally). So I went to start it this morning to move some drifts out of the drive. It spun and burped but would not start. I tired to take it easy, but could not get it started. Worn down the battery, so I got the tractor and jumper cabled it for a bit. When it spun, it did not even burp -- not even a murmur -- sort of like it is not even getting any fuel. The fuel meter shows about a quarter of a tank, and we ran it pretty good about two weeks ago. Also, the oil is really thick -- and black. (I had thought the dealer changed it before selling it to me -- the ad said "fully serviced") We had a problem starting the tractor a few winters ago -- it would run and then starve for fuel. Something about a wax build-up from the cold weather. So -- do I need to drain the fuel and put in winter diesel, or put in an additive? How about changing the oil??? -- I'm looking at the synthetic Rotella, as it got some good mentions in this forum. Any ideas would be really appreciated.
how cold is it? we run 10/30 in the winter, 15/40 is just too thick for equipment that sits outside or in an unheated space. ddi you let the glow plugs cycle before you tried to start it? :drinkup
we run 10/30 in the winter, 15/40 is just too thick for equipment that sits outside or in an unheated space. ddi you let the glow plugs cycle before you tried to start it? I did let the glow plugs cycle several times before trying to start it. Just no go. I'm going to try putting about 5 - 10 gallons new fuel with winter additive for anti-gell. Then I'll try again. I am gong to switch for 5w-40 synthetic, as we don't use the machine that much, so it would be good for winter and summer. However, I'd like to get the machine warm before I change the oil. I read somewhere about putting some kerosine in the oil od diesel engines in the winter. What do you think of this idea? Would I need to take out some oil to do that?
personally i wouldnt add kerosene to my engine oil. weak battery + several glow plug cycles + thick oil = a no start charge the battery, not just with a jump start, remove and clean the cables and battery posts pull and check the fuel filter, bleed the air from the system before you try to get it started again :drinkup
Crewchief: Sounds like a plan. Thanks. I'm new to this stuff, so your direction is very helpful.
no problem, i deal with them every day :drinkup
And a good battery is a must for a machine outside in the cold. A tired battery, laboring to crank engine, will BBQ you're starter, plus engine no start.
May also want to check and make sure the glow plugs are actually functioning as well. Sometimes machines will start on a warm day with no help from the glow plugs but when the temp gets cold and they are not functioning (even just one of them) the machine may not start.
Water in Diesel tank?? What to do?? I got it started. I added about 8 gallons diesel fuel wniter mix, and put in new fuel filter and primer bulb. It ran great for about 7 minutes. Then slowly strangled and died. I determined no fuel getting to filter, so there must be ice in the tank (there was about 5 gallons of the original fuel left.). I put in about 3/4 quart of Diesel 911, and got the fuel flowing again. It started right up -- and ran for about 5 minutes again. ... then slowly strangled and died. Same thing. So I figured must be more ice or gel in the tank and let it sit. I got the old primer bulb home and squeezed it a couple of times. What looked like dirty water mixed with diesel fuel spit out. So, now it looks like I have water in teh diesel tank, enough that it is freezing and blocking the fuel line. What to do? Can I just drain it through the hamd primer? Should I siphon the whole batch out and throw it away and put in all new? Will the Diesel 911 get it flowing again?? Any thoughts appreciated.
If you are sure there is water in it, I would siiphon it out and start over. I run 15-40 oil in all the equipment year round I have and had no problems of it being to thick in winter. Am located 50 mi east of Kansas City, MO so just a little south of you. I also put block heaters on all equipment so that on the coldest day they will start with ease.
Depending on what engine you have it may have a plug in heater already. Do you have a torpedo heater or can you borrow or rent one? They help a whole lot with water problems. A good siphon job on the tank won't get ice out of it. You need to warm it up with something. Take some plywood and make box with a tarp over the machine. Stay with it and have a fire extinguisher there before you start heating.
pull the plug out of the bottom of the tank and drain the water out :drinkup