:beatsmeim starting a project and need a strong glue ive tryed jb weld and some apoxie from true value both very good but dont hold well on plastic for long so i need some ideas plz help
Try this stuff here, most any good Hobby shop will have it, or this place here will ship. My father and I have used this for years in model rockets and never had a failure. The other nice thing is, is that you can get an acclerant for it so you can place a piece, and give it a shot of accelerant and WHAM it's secure. It's called Cyanoacrylate, or CA. http://www.hobbylinc.com/CA_Super_Glue
Hitachi350, Can you elaborate on what type of plastic, for example it you are doing something smooth (Plexi Glass) then I would use a super glue after clean a minor scuffing. It is is a textured surface like interior auto trim then I would use some http://www.gorillaglue.com/glues/gorillaglue/directions.aspx and it works on several different types of material. Also have had some great success with the glue listed below as well, hope it helps. 3M - 8063 3M ULTRAPRO TRIM & EMBLEM CONTACT ADHESIVE CEMENT 3M - 3M Super 77 Spray Adhesive
I think the most common modeling plastic is called styrene. It is made in structural shapes like square tube and I beam and c-channel etc. as well as sheets of different thicknesses. Hope this helps. I actually have tried a couple types of quick set super glues and they hold for a while. Just not as well as I had hoped.
I build/scratchbuild/kitbash logging in 1/25th and have always used 'Zap CA' or 'Great Planes CA' and it works great on plastic, metal, and wood. I have hundreds of pieces- yarders, shovels, etc. don't use it for clear windows as it will fog. I posted an online album that has a few of them in it. Slowly i will post the more impressive units, but they are stored for now. http://s964.photobucket.com/albums/ae129/Juneau125/Scale Logging Model Equipment Collections/
Gorilla glue as previously stated.I've used it on everything-never had a failure.The plywood sides inside my dump body are exclusively being held in now for 4 years with that.
Have you ever used the plastruct cement? Looks like good stuff. I'm thinking about buying a bottle and trying it out.
Well, mmm for abs plastic repair on the motorcycles I use a small applicator and some acetone, the acetone dissolves both pieces of plastic, mash them together for a few hours till most of it evaporates then its as good as welded. I would think that would work well on styrene but you'll have to experiment on how much is needed but it'll definitely fuse the pieces together.
Do not use super glue to hold styrene together. Use the Plastruct plastic weld. it melts the plastic down and then you join the joints together. After that if you still need strength to the joint then apply super glue to the joint. Here is a bucket I have done for the hitachi 870, it is a narrown trenching bucket, the teeth are not finshed yet though. Everything is plastic welded and the earrs are welded and then I apply super glue to make that joint stronger for when the customer will grab bucket and rotate it. If you have questions on building with styrene just ask I use it everyday Jason
Not sure how it would work for modeling, but a labororer showed me about mixing baking soda and super glue when we were fixing a turn signal switch, it was a while ago but I remember it worked pretty slick it may work on plastic models too.
Dude. I finally got some plastruct cement and it works great.