My Cat 215 serial # 96L1270 blew a hose. I look in the manual, I find SWIVEL GROUP it says hose 5C1970 and I go to the Cat dealer and get the hose. Come home the hose is smaller diameter. I take the old one out and the inside diameter is 3/4, the new one is 1/2. I went back to Cat talked to the guy who makes hoses he said it's the right one. I think something not right.
If it was made in japan ive seen that alot for example our 307ssr the hole in the original hose fittings is always bigger then the new one and they always take a bigger wrench. If it threads on youll be ok
I typed that out before your pictures came up but use it it will work fine
Should’ve taken old hose it has reusable ends all you would have needed was a new piece of hose
Oh really
So it won't cause a restriction
I might just do that. Go to an aftermarket and see what I can get. Tha smaller diameter doesn't fit with me very well. Even if CAT says it will be fine.
Might have a problem with after market having the tooling to remove and install the ends
How do they go on?
Press fit?
Yes. Each coupling is in two parts. A sleeve on the outside that is pressed off first, then the actual fitting underneath it that has a set of "fingers" on it. See this YT Video Most Cat dealer hose shops prefer to use non-reusable fittings these days when manufacturing hoses.
Nige what's your thought on using the smaller diameter fittings?
Atleast somerset shop they arnt to happy to reuse them anymore every time i try to get them to i get to buy new ones .
Dunno TBH. The makeup of the 5C1970 Hose As that can I see still calls out the reusable fittings. However these days bills of material for hoses are on a different system. Only a Cat hose press with all the required tooling will satisfactorily take the existing reusable fittings off the old hose and on to a new one. I agree with Tyler. Most Cat hose shops nowadays don't want to re-use the old-style fittings because of the high failure rate. Think about it, that hose you took off is likely original, which makes the fittings on it over 45 years old. Would you feel comforatable re-using them.?
I don't think it's high failure rate it's they would actually have to do a little work cleaning the old fittings I can remember changing them with a tooling set up where you used a impact wrench to push them on and off. and yes if they weren't all bent up it wouldn't bother me to reuse them
The only thing is, you could lose a little speed for whatever that hose runs. The fittings have gotten progressively smaller on the inner diameter over the years. I have some old fittings that have quite a bit larger inner dimensions than new ones. I have actually mixed them, only because I didn’t have enough old ones. They made no noticeable difference on opposing sides on a backhoe loader bucket.