Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

I need water retention help!

powerjoke ยท 2010-11-28 20:19

I was approached by a customer to help a area hold water, it is against a small river and the soil is made up of a really really silty material and it has been tried to hold water but never had any luck, all they want is about 12" of water over a 4,000 sq ft area (duck lake) If we pump it, it is dry within a few days. I can stabilize it with a bunch of flyash but im worried about it changing the soil and not growing anything for the birds to eat and draw em in and also its about 1/4mi from the nearest path large enough to get a truck in..... its a pretty difficult location and i was considering a rubber membrane and putting a inch or so of dirt ontop of it?.... Pj

Replies5
  1. #1Colorado Digger2010-11-28 20:24

    4000 sq ft- i pay .50 cents p/s/f/ for firestone liner. the cattails will finf their way through it. plan on overdigging and use at least 6-8" of minimum .75> topsoil or similar bedding.

  2. #2powerjoke2010-11-28 20:59

    thats kinda what i had in mind, but what does this sentance mean? I've never installed a membrane before, can you track a little track skid loader across it to backfill or should i plan on doing it with a excavator? BTW: where do I buy the membrane, is there a good place online that's better than another? Pj

  3. #3Colorado Digger2010-11-28 21:09

    that is 3/4" minus- sorry about that. topsoil or bedding. underneath the liner you want to use mirafi felt fabric. so to start, over dig maybe 6-8" then compact it or track pack it. no large rocks. then install the liner- look for the firestone, make sure to get the primer and glue as well to seam it. sometimes you can have a piece cut. otherwise you will ned to seam it. buy a little paint roller and off you go. if you can rach with a hoe without walking on it , it is a better idea. if you want to run on it plana foot of bedding. i use a trackhoe and bedding box and usually go right around. if it is a big pond- lot's of bedding to protect the liner, good luck

  4. #4Dozerboy2010-11-29 18:54

    12" isn't very much if there isn't water flowing into it. Some dry weather and all that water would evaporate in no time I would think.

  5. #5Acivil2010-11-29 19:16

    I agree w/ dozer boy, you won't have a pond for long at 12" deep. You need a source.