Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

I need your thoughts and advice

jimson · 2011-06-30 22:50

Next week I am going to do a basement in a subdivision that is notorious for being wet. The basement for the house on the lot next to where I will be working was quite a problem, I understand. I anticipate problems. I would like to here how others have handled these conditions. What works and what doesn’t?

Replies4
  1. #1stumpjumper832011-06-30 22:59

    daylight one side of the foundation if possible, Install footer drains & backfill to the top with clean stone, inc. footer drain ditch, and grade surface water away from the house.

  2. #2jimson2011-07-01 19:25

    Daylight is not possible. When you talk about footer drains do you mean the rectangular perferated plastic footing forms you pour the footings against or do you mean drain tile covered ins stone? I was thinking of overexcavating the parimeter, placing and compacting clean stone to pour the footings on. Maybe leave a sump hole to pump it out while working, I know the house will need a sump pump.

  3. #3stumpjumper832011-07-01 22:15

    Usually I use 4" preforated d&s pipe. Coat with washed 57's and backfill with washed #3 rock.

  4. #4RonG2011-07-02 05:14

    The area next to the house next door might not be as bad as you think if it was drained properly when they built it. If you can,check the flow of their drainage for a clue.It often times goes into a catch basin in front of the house or into the storm drain drainage pipe.If it is real bad and it is possible wait until the driest time of the year to dig it. A subdivision that is designed properly will have drainage taken into account when approved for developement.Ron G