Hi guys im new here. Im looking into getting an apprenticeship with local 66. Ill tell you a little about me im 18 I work landscaping and at a local grocery store (Giant Eagle) right now I work 60 hours a week. I am very motivate I graduated high school as a junior. My dream has always been to operate heavy equipment. So ive been reading about the apprenticeship program at local 66. From what I understand they take application in January. I see that they give you tests and interviews and they only take so many into the program. I was wondering what is on this test like is it just a general knowledge test? And another question I have is how good of a chance do I have of getting into the program with no exp. on the equipment? Also from what I understand there is a "A", "B" , and "C" list so obviously I would start out in the "C" list. Is there enough work for people on the "C" list to get call out to get work? Thanks
I would think that, with the development of the Marcellus Shale play, you will not have too much trouble getting started.
Hi, Be sure to apply. They are looking for persons like you. You will actually be placed into the R Branch which is for apprentices only. There are special work positions on jobs per contract that require the job be filled with an apprentice. Work is very good and in the future with planned crack plant building, 10,000 construction jobs for 7 years, work looks very good for someone intering this industry. Cannot study for the tests as they are designed for identifying persons good at operating equipment such as hand/eye cooridnation. Math, though is also on the test which you can study for. Ypu can go to thier website and get on a list to be notified exact time in January they will be excepting applications. Good luck!!
Thanks for the information. Im have pretty good hand/eye coordination since I run Z mowers and walkbehinds cutting grass. What kind of math should i take a look at and study. Thanks
You will be asked basic math, fractions, decimals ect. I am not sure exactly, but I am sure some kind of math. Also questions about what a 3d object would look like when drawn on paper. The test is not extremely hard, but many apply, so scores are close but only top scores called for interview and then some hands-on test for good depth perception in eyes so forth. Also drug test and about 20% of persons called for interview fail drug test even though they are notified they will be drug tested. Includes dot alchohol test.
I just took the test and interview for local 324. The test was a general aptitude test. Lots of math, reading comp etc. They had a mechanical part too. The interview was pretty straight forward. There were a ton of people at the test and I think they take the best scores first. I'm not sure how many they take to the interview. I received my letter saying I'm in for the field evaluation but they didn't give a date for that. From what I've heard it probably won't be till next spring because the ground will be frozen. I've heard that if you pass the week evaluation that's when you sign the contract into the apprenticeship. It took about a month between each step for my local so it's a long process with the exception of the field evaluation but I think it is worth it. Hope this helps and if you find any info let me know. Good luck!
Also make sure you wake up early and get your application as they only give out a certain amount and once they're gone that's it till next year. Call your local and find out when and where.