Hi guys(girls), I took and passed the aptitude test and passed the interview. I just received my letter telling me that im on the list to be called to the field evaluation and I was wondering if anyone can give me some input as to what I can expect, and how they go about calling my name from the list? the local im trying to get into is 324 in Michigan. If I dont get called or pass the week evaluation what are other ways into this field of work? Ive only operated smaller tractors, forklift, and scissor lifts. my prior work is electrical and I hate it! I kinda just fell into doing electrical and it became a way to make money. It was pretty good money but if you dont like what youre doing then is it really worth it? Ive always wanted to get into this line of work but never knew anyone or how to get in until I researched the union. Im not trying to start a thread on whats better union or not, im just looking for some info on what to expect on the next steps or how to get started with non union contractors. Thanks
14 year 324 member here, I did'nt go through the apprentiship but I can tell you the instructors at the training site are second to none!!!!! They are the most knolledgable guys you will ever meet, but they are down to earth, easy going group that will take their time to show you the right way to do it without screaming or belittling you. I wish you luck getting the call!!! You will be Proud to be a member of 324
I'm sure that most locals have thier own way of doing things but this is the way things were when I got into local 12. Local 12 had three "out of work" lists. They were labeled "A"; "B"; & "C". The "A" list was all journeymen (at the time I believe it was over 4,000 hours-really not very many), and employers could request an individual by name, if they were on the list, instead of taking the first guy on the list. The "B" list was all apprentices who had more than 2,000 hours and finished the schooling. If the position could not be filled from the "A" list then the first qualified person on the "B" list was sent out. Positions were filled from the top of the order only-no requests by name. The "C" list was for all apprentices who did not yet have the 2,000 work hours, and anyone, off the street, who had paid the $18 to be put on the list. Positions that could not be filled from the "A" or "B" list would then draw from the "C" list. If an "off the street" person was called up, they would have to join the union in order to work the job. Again, top of the list only-no requests by name. Apprentices had to go to school at night and weekends. The schooling taught the basics of heavy equipment and grade checking. The weekends were for practical skills. Back then things were very busy so a lot of apprentices were being employed during the day (usually scraper hands), and school as mentioned. Local 12 had several training trust locations. Each one had most any peice of equipment. They were not usually top notch machines but you've heard the old saying..."Anyone can run new iron but it takes an operator to run the old junk". After 2000 hours, and successful completion of the school work, they would go to the "B" list. The last chance scenario is the way that I got into the union. It's known as the "48 hour clause". If an employer requests a certain skill set (ie dozer hand, or a particular backhoe control pattern) and the position can not be filled from the "A", "B", or an apprentice on the "C" list, within 48 hours, then the employer can hire anyone that they want. The employee will have to pay the initiation fees, and dues, but they will be hired as a journeyman operator. At the time of my hire, via the 48 hour clause, I had already been operating for about (2) years. This was key as my ability was why I was called from the "C" list. Employers can dump new hires within (2) hours, if they are not working out, so it is a good idea to have marketable skills when you show up for work.
Thanks for the replies. Ya I hope I get the call too. I've been going through this since June and it is such a long process.from what I've found out is I probably won't get get invited until spring next year due to the ground being too hard to dig. I'm glad to hear that you have worked for 324 for 14 years and like it. If anyone has any info on my original questions that would be great.
Unless signed up for a specific field class, the training field is open to apprentices only in February. If memory serves me right.
Ya,I was thinking it wouldn't be till next year with the winter coming. How many guys get invited to the week evaluation? How many get accepted into the apprenticeship after that week?