Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

I’ve started the process

Grader4me ยท 2008-07-10 20:30

I mentioned a while back that I would like to start up my own little business. My plan was to take it in small steps and be hopefully set up when I retire at 55. My main plan is to provide workplace safety training. Some of my courses would be TCP(Flagging courses) WAP (Work Area protection) DDC (Defensive Driving Course) CSR (Chainsaw refresher) ABR (Air brake refresher) and others that I am working on. I would also like to get into providing one on one basic training for new grader/backhoe operators. I do some of these courses now for DOT, and work part time for the NB Safety Council doing the rest. Some of these courses I've developed myself. First step was to pick out a name for my company. Second step was to hire a private firm to do a name search to ensure that no one else had the same company name. Thats done. Tomorrow I'm going to send in the paperwork to register my companies name. Checked out where to get my liability insurance (tough one) but found the channel. Checked out who is going to make my business cards and at what price. Had a great discussion with WHSCC concerning approval of my courses etc. gave me some good leads. Gee, I'm almost starting to get excited. Lots of work to do yet!

Replies15
  1. #1Dwan Hall2008-07-10 20:41

    Congradulations Cool Hope there is something we can do to help.

  2. #2Lashlander2008-07-11 00:34

    Thats cool. Good to see someone achieving a goal they've had!:thumbsup Wish you all the luck in the world.

  3. #3EZ TRBO2008-07-11 06:40

    Good luck and congrats on your biz. Sounds like you have a good plan and doing things the proper way. Can't wait to see some pics of the Logo, cards, etc. Trbo

  4. #4kamerad472008-07-11 16:49

    Good luck thinking your going to retire at 55!!!

  5. #5Grader4me2008-07-11 21:44

    Well I've been working for DOT for 35 years. Most of these years I have been paying into a pension so...yes I will be able to retire at 55 and do my own thing ...hopefully. Thanks for the support guys!

  6. #6stretch2008-07-11 22:24

    :thumbsup and a :drinkup once it gets going!

  7. #7Reuben2008-07-13 11:56

    Read "grader4ever's" original post over and over until you understand it and good luck with your business,this is my stance on our business;I own the business it DOES NOT OWN ME!!!!!. Work smart not hard,think of every single decision before one is actually made. My MVT ( most valuable tool) is by far my calculator. Do the math on EVERYTHING. There is most always a more economical way to do anything.

  8. #8kamerad472008-07-13 15:57

    I keep taking that Gov. pay check till they threw me out! why can't you do both?

  9. #9Grader4me2008-07-13 16:28

    I could do both but it would be hard working full time and focus on a business. As said.. start the ball rolling now and be set up at 55. Then...I can draw my pension and have my own thing going. As well, contrary to belief..a Government check isn't all that big..

  10. #10CM19952008-07-13 16:35

    Congrats on the "leap". Sounds like you have a sound business plan and safety/equipment training will only continue to be a growing industry. May you be prosperous!:drinkup

  11. #11kamerad472008-07-14 16:48

    It may not big but it's guaranteed (40 hrs) + Benies!!!! What private Co can say that? That's all I'm saying.

  12. #12Grader4me2008-10-24 16:09

    Well, finally have my own registered business! I have a TCP course to put on tomorrow for a couple of fire departments. First course for my new company :drinkup. Name of my business is "C & P Workplace Safety training" ..there I used my one free bee..

  13. #13Dwan Hall2008-10-24 16:52

    We are watching.

  14. #14RocksnRoses2008-10-24 18:52

    Definitely the way to go, Grader4me, my wife works for a skills based training organisation and they are almost snowed under with work. We hosted a three day chainsaw course and the instructor was telling me he worked for a larger company and he was flatout running chainsaw courses for the rural fire services in two states. With all the emphasis on workplace safety here and from what I read on the forum, it is the same there, you are guaranteed success. Best of luck. Rn'R.

  15. #15cat 3852008-10-24 19:22

    good to see you have set your self up in life,and now can enjoy a new step in your life. congrats