Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

I want to run a D10 or D11!

jjhdozing · 2018-10-29 21:09

Hey guys some of you might think this post is dumb or crazy but running a big D10 or 11 is on my bucket list!!! Biggest I’ve ran is a 7R which is plenty big for the ag/commercial work I do. Who on here has some of these big toys that I could run for a day or few days? You wouldn’t even have to pay me!!

Replies14
  1. #1StanRUS2018-11-08 04:36

    D10-11s create a new understanding of power to POWERFUL Sorry, 8L is largest toy I have right now and NO dirt work left on the jobsite.

  2. #2AzIron2018-11-08 06:39

    More power to you

  3. #3Steve Bowman2018-11-15 14:44

    Come to southern Ohio. But you better hurry, we only have one left due to the war on coal and high sulfer in the area. At one time we where running over a dozen D11N's Even had a 475 Komatsu. We did our own work - in house rebuilds from the frame up. 3508 engines. Almost 800 hp You want power? We had two 5230 excavators also - 3516 engines. Incredible.

  4. #4Junkyard2018-11-15 18:00

    I don’t know about the R’s or T’s but a full day on the 11N I used to take care of was work! Loud, dusty and until right before I left no climate control. No fingertip controls lol. I thought it was bada$$ to run it for about two hours. It’s certainly a different feel compared to the smaller machines. With a blade full the only way you’re going to influence direction is with tilt. If the ground is marginal and it slips a track a little you’re stuck. I honestly think it’s more fun to watch a good operator work one. When stuff breaks on them it’s in $10k increments lol.

  5. #5petepilot2018-11-15 21:13

    look up jpaydirt on youtube he might have something along those lines

  6. #6Junkyard2018-11-15 21:19

    SoCalEartmovers on Youtube have tons of BIG iron. 657’s, 11’s etc

  7. #7AzIron2018-11-15 21:44

    Need to get on a mine 11s are common place there most mines around here have a handful of them there is one in southeastern az that has over 10 d11s You rarely see an 11 outside a mine here mainly 9s sometimes a 10 there easier to move

  8. #8StanRUS2018-11-16 00:07

    Rent-A-Ride John Bremer's (Rentac-Corona, Calif) D575A / ex All-American Asphalt / Vegas super ripper. This D575 had a security guard watch because of all the tourism on-lookers coming from Vegas to see the World's Biggest BULLDOZER

  9. #9StanRUS2018-11-16 02:37

    Jeff, You sized up 11s okay and DESERVE THUMBS UP for doing the maint-mechanic work on the 11N...operating is the easy part. 1st 11Ns I was around mid-80s, 3508 engine life a bit over 2000hrs ditto 3508s used in Demag face shovels. Same deal with the 1st 84W-D10s; after 3 weeks hard nose flipped engine out and trans out, teething new model problems. Dealer mechanics changing track hot-links 2-3 times per week with Cat's C-frame press all over the US. We had to remove track assemblies to move D10-11s until the mid-80s to make legal weight. It is annoying when a youngster mechanic is advising, 'how to track' a large dozer, i.e. he does not know what he is talking about, LOL Another D575A video shot by John Mitzel (contractor-equip owner) of his competitors new toy @ El Sombrante landfill S. Corona, Calif. John likes to hang out @ Sportsman Bar crying in his beer over lack of work. Sportsman is older than me (72), watering hole for local miners, truck drivers and generally societies' entertaining bunch of f-a-$luts. Sportsman's Sign: We Reserve The Right To Refuse To Serve Anybody, We Don't Care Who Your Daddy Is. Comparison size D575A to D11s WRONG, how much are going to pay?

  10. #10Mother Deuce2018-11-18 17:21

    I have looked out the window of a number of 10's and have accumulated a large number of hours on them. It always seems when your running a dozer that whatever you are running at the time, it would be more efficient if someone up the pay grade line would bring you something bigger. It matters not if your present ride is a John Deere 550 and your wondering why someone doesn't you a 7R. If your in a 10 an 11 always seems like a better ride. The tasks are always larger, more volume and harder rock the bigger the machine gets. So the tasks at hand always shrink your earth spittin' rippin, animal dozer right down to the size of a 450 in someones backyard trying to horse a rock out that is as big as the machine. It seems as the game pieces get bigger so does the game. Good luck in your search. I have run N's, R's and T's and of that group the T's were definitely the most capable.

  11. #11Shimmy12018-11-18 18:03

    Well said. Your average dirt guy running a D8 probably couldn't afford a couple of moves of an 11, much less the ownership costs.

  12. #12Mother Deuce2018-11-18 18:15

    We had monthly crew meetings at the mine and they would straight up tell us what their maintenance expense was for the month. They had it down to how much it cost for every foot you operated in reverse versus forward. I can't remember exactly what the cost was perhaps someone on here knows. It seems like it was 8 or 10 dollars an operated foot in reverse. It was high enough that I tried to dispense with any ridiculously long pushes!

  13. #13simonsrplant2018-11-19 11:46

    Come on up to the great white north, could use a guy who actually wants to turn up for work! Hell, you’ll even get paid!

  14. #14Richard Balston2018-11-26 02:38

    yes this post is dumb or crazy but if you want to run D10 or D11 then its super good.