I'm considering repowering a Hitachi excavator with a JD 4045 HF 275 series engine (common rail) The problem so far is engine RPM @ WOT which is 2500 currently, the speed limit of the excavator pumps is 2200 RPM. The question is, how to change the Maximum RPM's on the ECU? Any one know how to do this?
As w/ any ECU, your gonna have to have the JD program on a laptop.. & go in & change the parameters. I think I read somewhere JD lost "the right to repair" case.. so its possible to "fix" your own stuff now.?? BUT.. making the equipment available & cheap is another story..
Yeah that will be the next issue. They will make it cost a fortune to have, and very few will be able to afford it.
Hey Tones.. cant u limit the pedal movement?? {I don't know} Or just tell the operator NOT to run it that hi or the engine will blow..??
Im trying to take the idiot facture out. It's the hydraulic pumps that are speed limited and are a heck of a lot more expensive to rebuild or replace that the engine. :-(
Is the Deere engine going to be a new factory engine? If so, perhaps Deere can offer more than a Rev limit. Like other parameters to shape the power curve to your pump application. Get more fuel efficiency and torque at the lower WOT setting.
No hosspuller, the engine is already in a machine that I'm considering parting out
So what type and model of machine is the Deere engine in? Also, what model Hitachi?
The engine is in a forestry mulcher and the excavator hopefully will be a EX 120-5
If your 4045 engine is an OEM engine (for a non Deere product), then rpm's might be adjustable through what Deere calls a trim page. Unfortunately the only way to do that would be a dealer tech with Service Advisor program. If you have the engine serial number I might be able to figure that out ahead of time.
Actually the California Farmers bureau just lost to Deere (partially). Still won't be able to program controllers. See attachment.
S/N PE4045L010390 I'm waiting on a phone call from a JD industrial & marine dealer who may be able to help. Any info will be a help though.
Here is a .pdf link to John Deere's info sheet on it. 4045HF275_C.pdf Somehow the link uploaded twice ! From what I read , it was used in a lot of gen-sets.
Tones can you let us know what you come up with? We have a similar situation here. Thanks
I looked at the trim page and do not have the ability to adjust engine rpm. The industrial/marine dealer probably would have that capability.
Thanks Tinkerer, I read that sheet when I first started to think of this project. mg, that's what the JD construction and agricultural people have been telling me.
Did you try a John Deere Engine distributor? C&F dealers and AG dealers do not have the access that engine distributors have.
Update, it seems like like it will work with some changes to the puter without going through JD,but a little more investigation is required. I need to know if the throttle control on the excavator interfaces with the PCU. Now the only thing I know about INTERFACING is what happens before and during INTERCOURSE. Any ideas?
I have the base engine technical manual for the 4045, but it looks like JD used different fuel delivery systems on them. Good Grief John Deere !! I also have the CTM220 tech manual. Let me know if there is anything in them that may help you.
Thanks Tinkerer. I had a yarn with a bloke yesterday arvo who seems very switched on as far as JD engines go. He knows more about these engines than anyone at JD marine/ industrial, Construction and ag put together that I have spoken to in over a week. He reckons fitting a analog potentiometer for the throttle control will do the job. It's a type that has adjustable stops. The next hurdle is to find out is if the throttle control on the Hitachi is linked to the PCU or goes directly to the engine. If it goes to the PCU then that could be a big problem in that the JD engine is 12 volt and the excavator is 24 volt.
Why u want to adjust? ECU does not control the idle RPM. Its the IACV that controls ur idle RPM. Want to tune it, change the IACV.
Richard, no IAVC in the excavator or the JD engine. In both engines the revs are controlled by the fuel pumps.