Huh,.. It just hit me,... I wonder how they test an operator for doing 3 line work, such as piledriving or augur cast piling, etc. I have driven a gazillion piling and that is one of my favorite things to do with a crane. Especially on a barge. Theres a little more to driving pile than it looks, but the job is a perfect pace for me. Keeps you just busy enough to make the day go by nicely. I've seen lots of crane "Drivers" that just thought they knew how to drive piling. A little seat time and the truth is revealed. :beatsme Not to ring my own bells,.... but some of todays Operators just don't have a clue of true operator mentality or culture. Now, I truely don't mean that to be offensive but I do believe that alot of operators that I see,... shouldn't be operators, they just don't have it. I've seen alot.
I have never piled ..and Im not looking forward to doing it ..and because I havent means i wont,atleast i hope, and that suit's me just fine .. ..Getting your Ticket and running a crane are to different thing's ..more over than not and its no different than getting a license to take command if a tractor/trailer or car ..think about it ..the crane field is just to broad a scope to touch on everything ..the exams ,when you look at it ,target the area's where the most mistakes occur resulting in the most accidents as a result .. Its a license to go learn Young operator's are taught enough as not to be a danger to themselves or anyone in the field ,have been taught basic fundamentals and practice..Piling is one of those things the same as clamming and flipping panel's..practical experience will come and if a young operator atleast has a decent old hand to offer some direction ..He will become better and better ..till he's good .. I can remember once having to bring a guy that taught me up to speed, how to handle an ol'National boom truck ..he hadnt ever run one... .. Laughed my butt of, but nothing wrong with it If you think about it ..we're all apprentices,:drinkup..
I know when I took the written portion of the CCO (didn't bother to even attempt to take the practical. I'm an engineer, not an operator. Although I would like to get some seat time just to play) the guy running the review class said that something they are considering is possibly having endorsements or such for the license. I think crane licensing will eventually become like getting a drivers license/CDL. You'll end up having to get various endorsements (3 line, barge, friction or hydraulic rig, etc) to at least prove that you are semi-competent and understand what is going on.
thats comming ....
In NY , Theres a license for boom truck, Just hydraulic crane , Or unlimited....Which allows you to run anything.
Up here its called a "Red Seal " which allows me to practice in any province .. the only province that dosent accept it is the only province that hands out 50T cap Tickets to a guy after a 4-6 week training course with no hours of service....
Down here, it's called a Parent Body book. I have one, Covers everything.