As far as styling goes, they seemed to be ahead of the curve. That was a great looking truck really. I am going out on a limb and say something like the oil embargo maybe? The fuel usage got Cat’s loader and IH’s tractor in the end did they not?
It died because it had no mileage, plus many other various problems. But that monstrosity IIRC is either in the Ford museum or covered with a tarp in the back lot. I remember reading that the tractor was still around somewhere in the rust belt- Even though it died a natural death not long after it left the drawing board some of the ideas made there way to the CL9000 C.O.E.
Yeah, like the seasick cab suspension. Drove one for a bit in the early 80's. I preferred being beaten to death by my GMC. At least I knew which way was up.
There were several similarities between Big Red Turbine Pile and the 9000 just in looks. Ford couldn't get away from it.
It is at a museum in Michigan inside or not I d on't know
I was told of a milk truck running on the Enumclaw plateau in the early seventies that had a experimental turbine. I was told got 2 gallons per mile. I was told it didn't last long as they swapped out the turbine with a diesel. I remember seeing the truck in about 1974, but it had a diesel by that time.
Kenworth played with gas turbines back in that era too I believe.
I love the old videos- thank you for sharing. Even though this truck did not make it forward to today. A lot of items moved forward and did get used in production trucks. In an earlier post about Cats...The emissions got the Cat diesels. Compliance is the reason for a lot of engines going away in big trucks. again- thanks for posting.
Just watched the Big Red video and saw this near the end: And it made me think of this one that Tesla is supposed to start making:
Maybe some one should buy Elon a set of these for his next birthday?
I am with you! Curves are, in most all circumstances, more aesthetically pleasing.
With all the futuristic stuff posted above it's time for a fitting cartoon.
This is more my speed: My last boss at the quarry was Ken Slatter, very close to the Mr. Slate in the Flintstones
i thought the ideas implemented in Big Red were very interesting and the styling of “futuristic” stuff from the 30s-60s can’t be beat. I love learning about that era
I believe most manufacturers of cars, trucks, locomotives etc experimented with gas turbines. Unfortunately fuel efficiency just wasn’t there, because personally I’d love one in my truck.
One thing the gas turbine produced was heat and it would defrost the windshield in seconds. But the other thing that was not so good and that was the delayed throttle response. Pretty slow on take off, at stop light on the early Chrysler turbine cars you basically had to power brake it to get through the green light before it went to amber caution.
Early jet engines had same issue. You were in trouble if you needed power all of a sudden, especially on short final. It’s also the same reason that on a carrier landing they go to full power as soon as they touch down...the cable will hold if it catches but if they bolter they can’t wait on the throttle response.
Very neat. I had never seen one before. Thanks for sharing. It definitely had some style for the time.
I wonder if they supplied ropes and pitons to scale the side of it when the ladder gave up?
We Found Ford's Incredible Turbine-Powered Semi-Truck 'Big Red' That's Been Lost for Decades The 40-year search for an unbelievable piece of history is over. You have questions? We have answers. www.thedrive.com