Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

I wouldn’t of thought it would be so hard to find . . .

Acoals ยท 2023-04-19 12:01

. . . A used bucket for a Cat 315 with 70mm pins. I have spent pretty much most of the past day and a half scouring Wisconsin and anywhere else in the Upper Midwest I can think of trying to find a bucket. I could get nice buckets with 80mm pins for 320's all day long, or skinny trenching buckets, but something like a 42" general use tooth bucket is almost nonexistent. Except from Cat, I can get a brand new 48" for $9500 or a nice used 42" for $7600. I was trying to avoid that I didn't know a 315 was such an oddball . . . Does anybody from this corner of the world know of any other sources?

Replies13
  1. #1skyking12023-04-19 12:25

    I emailed this guy to see if he can give me some numbers. He left at one phone number on his written out phone number lol. No wonder the ad's been up 29 days! https://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/hvo/d/auburn-36-sec-bucket-cat/7602063895.html I'll look around some more today.

  2. #2Acoals2023-04-19 12:37

    See, that one he says is off a 312, which have 65mm pins. It's what's driving me nuts on this one, nice buckets for 3k all day long with 65mm or 80mm pins. 70mm pins? $7600 . . . lol

  3. #3skyking12023-04-19 12:59

    Okay, I was just going to report back that I heard those are 65s. I wonder how much trouble would be to bore those up to 70? I don't have the hardware but somebody else might.

  4. #4skyking12023-04-19 13:58

    yeah. I found some decent clean up bucket candidates, but everything is larger or smaller LOL.

  5. #5KSSS2023-04-19 14:10

    I was lucky, my 160 sized machine takes 80 mm (Link Belt/Case). When I was looking for buckets last year it was relatively easy to find buckets at a somewhat reasonable price. You don't see much for 70mm pins.

  6. #6heymccall2023-04-19 14:11

    Is your hoe wearing a Caterpillar bucket coupler? Also, when fitting bucket, need the following information: Pin diameters Center to center on pins Hinge width (between the ears) Almost all Caterpillar bucket couplers can accommodate a smaller pin setup. We regularly run 80mm pins in our C, C/D, CB, D, and DB linkage Caterpillar couplers. The catch is hinge width. If it's a 315 without letters behind it, most of the charts I have access to are too old.

  7. #7Acoals2023-04-19 14:18

    I do not have a coupler, the bucket is pinned direct. My pin diameter is 70mm, between the ears is 11", I don't have the pin to pin, and the bucket is not nearby at the moment, but I didn't think pin to pin was real important without a coupler. The machine is a 315C L

  8. #8KSSS2023-04-19 14:22

    That being the case you could put a coupler on it took an 80 mm bucket.

  9. #992U 34062023-04-19 14:58

    Easy enough to modify a bucket. Last shop I was at had a welder that'd do that sort of thing all the time and he was quick.

  10. #10heymccall2023-04-19 15:54
  11. #11Acoals2023-04-19 17:05

    That chart is extremely useful, thank you.

  12. #12cosmaar12023-04-19 22:45

    I have a 555E backhoe and was looking for a wider bucket. I found one that looks like it came off of a smaller excavator, but had the same pin diameter. I got longer pins and my father modified the ears a bit and BOOM it works like a charm. I would suggest following some of the ideas above about buying one close and either machining out the IDs you need for a few hundred bucks or fabricating something that will work better for you.

  13. #13Shimmy12023-04-19 23:02

    I think you are overthinking this. Pin to pin might be an issue, might not. Closer distance than you currently are using will give more rotation, might give you less breakout. Opposite for further. Bush the pin holes down to 70 mm, 1/2" washer on each side with a few 1/2" holes to weld it to the bucket ears, done. Unless you find a silly Komatsu bucket, then you'll need 7/8". You could even have a good machinist turn you a bushing with a flange and do it with one piece per hole. Might be expensive tho....