Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ice in bottom of unused hydraulic oil drum

4seasons · 2025-01-14 15:26

I had a 55 gallon drum of 46 sitting for nearly 15 years. I knew the top was compromised and letting water through. It’s been below freezing for at least two weeks, so I pumped off 8 pails through a waterblock 17 micron water separator sight glass style filter. Oil looks like new hydraulic oil. There was 4-6 inches of ice in the bottom of the drum. Any ideas on whether the oil is compromised by having that much water seep through it?

Replies17
  1. #1Nige2025-01-14 15:37

    15 years old.? IMHO use it for lighting fires, it’s about all it’s good for. YMMV.

  2. #2petepilot2025-01-14 15:49

    Fwiw that's the easiest way I know of to get water out of oil have used lots of dewaterd oil in the past just not in newer machines

  3. #34seasons2025-01-14 15:57

    I want to say it’s from 2011 but in my mind the water was a bigger problem than the age. I don’t know. If I had an older tractor to use it up in I wouldn’t sweat it. But I only have two excavators to use it. They are both 2004 years

  4. #4Nige2025-01-14 16:01

    TBH I wouldn’t consider using it in anything but don’t let fear stop you.

  5. #5HarleyHappy2025-01-14 16:15

    Buh, it will be fine. As long as it’s clearly separated and looks good, I’d use it. Actually, no I wouldn’t use it as I used 40 gallons of hydraulic fluid to purge my system of water last fall and had my brother use it in some waste oil burners. While it looked good and all, just couldn’t get over there was water in the bottom.

  6. #6HardRockNM2025-01-14 16:30

    With that much water contamination I wouldn't even burn it as fuel in an old stationary engine.

  7. #7Coaldust2025-01-14 16:30

    Maybe a leaking firewood splitter or something you don’t care about. IDK,…… Water contamination does cause oxidation, even without heat. The oil is three x past its manufacturer expiration date and some of the additives have precipitated to the bottom.

  8. #8Vetech632025-01-14 20:01
  9. #9CM19952025-01-14 20:20

    Under no circumstances would that oil go in anything I own.

  10. #104seasons2025-01-14 20:44

    Sounds unanimous. I guess I’ll put it all aside for something else. IDK what.

  11. #11Pony2025-01-14 20:55

    Chainsaw bar lube. If you jump on the Chainsaw forums, you may even get a few bucks for it.

  12. #12Coaldust2025-01-14 23:07

    That’s a good idea

  13. #13BC Placer gold2025-01-15 00:04

    Or do like I do and dump any ‘miscellaneous’ oil into a 6-71… 1964 Euclid C6 (lol)… A modern hydraulic system; probably not!

  14. #14cfherrman2025-01-15 12:00

    I'll put it on my machine, it already gets water in it somehow and it's just a fear pump with random minor leaks. You could do some things to get the water out but it's not worth your time, go into a oil burner with it or exposed chains

  15. #154seasons2025-01-15 16:26

    8 5g useless buckets in the garage now, and oil all over my hands every time I touch the steering wheel and door handles of the truck. Not to mention $100 of buckets with pour spout tops from the hardware store. I’m just a glutton for punishment. Not quite enough to throw out a hydraulic pump though. A decade worth plus of bar oil is an idea. Maybe a little light for summer.

  16. #16Tyler d4c2025-01-15 17:42

    Sounds like good truck wet kit or dump bed oil to me or old junk

  17. #17Simon C2025-01-15 21:31

    Just looked at 2 new jugs of oil from Deere. The Hydrau XR hydraulic oil and the Hygard powertrain oil were both labelled on the back " Shelf Life 5 Years". That tells me that the additive package must separate out after some time. Thought worth sharing! Simon C