So I got an old backhoe that I’d like to get running somewhat reliably in future and possibly restore it if it’s in good enough shape but money is tight and won’t be able to fix too much off the get go. Any advice on how to protect it from getting more rust, rodents and any other problems I’m not thinking of? It’s not covered right now but we can move it if we have too or I can build a shack around it tarp it and such.
What model of backhoe? Post some pics. Getting it covered and out of the weeds would be a good first step. Some fogging oil would help stop rust. Might be too late to stop rodent damage.
You kidding me. You probably already have so many tenets you should be charging rent. Between me and the dog, we do a good job on chipmunks and field mice, our 2 cats are too old to help. Never fails, park something for 3 months and the mice and chipmunk’s move in. I had a nice John Deere mower, I really liked and one spring I went to start it up and it exploded. They got what looked like 5 pounds of acorns under the flywheel and shattered magnets peppered me and the sidings and the hood sounded like an M-80 went off. Course it was a Kholer engine that was impossible to find a stator for. Now, we feed the deer and kids out in the food plot with corn during the winter, so the mice get into the corn bin and then the dog gets a chew toy. We use those bait packs for mice and wife tried peppermint oil in TP tubes with moth balls this winter, will see if it works. I know someone mentioned smelly dryer sheets one year and all that did was give them beds and blankets.