I have the old rails with street pads from my 931B. The pads are still on and in good shape. The reason I replaced them was because a lot of the pads were a little loose. I was thinking of taking 5 or 6 sections of 4 or 5 links with pads and running a bar through the holes in the rails and making a float for leveling dirt or gravel. 6 sections would give me a 7' wide float and I thought the 3 grouser street pads could do a good job of breaking up lumps and smoothing the dirt. Has anyone ever done this or do you think it would work? I know some guys pull tires for a float and I thought each 14" section would move independently going over humps and depressions and uneven ground. Good idea???
I wouldn't want to move it by hand, but I bet it would work great. Wish I had one.
I use a 10 ft piece of I beam to smooth/maintain the driveway and the lawn any time I have tore it up. Cut it in half and miter cut them and welded it in a slight v. Can pull material to the middle for laneways to kinda help crown them and flip it the other way and it spreads soil out fairly decent. Only thing is it needs to be a bit heavier for some situations. I had made a smaller one with teeth on the front edge that were adjustable for cut depth. It would do great job of picking out stones and braking up the harder ground. Just too small to be useful. I think the tracks would work great. Plenty heavy and the cleets would loosen up and flatten things out well I’d guess. If only I had something big enuf to drag it hahahahah. The I beam , when it’s cutting and pulling lots of gravel or soil makes the old f150 plow truck work pretty hard lol.
I'd make some way to use it on a 3pt. hitch. I made a heavy harrow out of a 6' piece of 14" H beam that's 3/4" thick with 15 backhoe teeth and adaptors. It works great with a little moisture in the ground. I think the H beam was 107lbs. or 114lbs./ft so with the teeth and mounts weighs close to 800lbs. It also fills up some with dirt thrown up by the tractor tires. If I really want more weight I have a couple more pieces of the H beam about 18" long cut at 45 deg's. I can throw on top. I made it for grooming my MX track. In sand or damp clay it works awesome. Now we're building a flat track and using the beam to loosen up the 2 top few inches. I thought the pad float would help level it off and break up any lumps.
Saw a guy use an Ibeam with chain link fence hooked to it .Worked great.