Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Identify Ford Backhoe

Scooby340 ยท 2013-03-09 23:36

Hello All, I recently purchased an older Ford Backhoe and am trying to properly identify it. The seller said it is a 550, but the info I have so far based on pics and engine combos, it seems like it might be a 750 or 755.. The model number under the engine hood says J5011 T (or J). It is a non turbo 4 cyl diesel with #F0NN 6015-CB. There is a "unit" number of 0?18B. I believe it has a 3 speed forward/reverse with hi/low. I found a number on the right side of the trans case of C7NN 7006R, with 9M22 under that, and a 4.91 to the right of those two numbers. I have pics but don't have permission to attach them??? I want to get the parts & repair manuals for the "Ole Girl" and fix her up into proper working order. And to look good too!! Any Info would be appreciated. THX....AL

Replies6
  1. #1Shenandoah2013-03-10 00:02

    Here's a page to the engine block that may give some clues...be sure to read under where it says "Product Details". http://www.monstermarketplace.com/agricultural-machinery/ford-256-bsd442-diesel-short-block-assembly

  2. #2thepumpguysc2013-03-10 08:54

    If you can get the #'s off the name plate in the injection pump I can tell you what enine it is.

  3. #3El Hombre2013-03-15 21:20

    I saw your other post on yesterday's trucks, it's a 5500 or a 5550. I have a '73 5550, 24 years with me. Tough, powerful beasts. Only weak point was the torque convertor; that came out of England and like most things british, had issues of durability. 750 came out in '74 with a turbo. Biggest change was the hydraulic pump for the hoe and front bucket had about 50% more output per minute. That meant you could move those huge cylinders a lot faster. For somebody that doesn't spend 8 hours a day running it, the slower speeds with the non-turbo is an advantage. You don't damage the machine or everything nearby when you have some time to think. They made them from '67 to '73, a lot of parts are still available from Ford, but it's getting harder to find the weird stuff. Pretty much going to be used parts out of boneyards in the future.

  4. #4robin yates uk2013-03-15 21:53

    " most things British have issues of durability",,,,,please be more precise when being critical of another country.Thank you

  5. #5El Hombre2013-03-16 01:22

    Well let's see; first car was a TR-250 (TR5 in the old country) typical Lucas electrical issues. Be driving at 70mph, it would quit like someone turned off the ignition. Finally figured out the carbon rod in the distributor cap was breaking down. I wiped the top of the rotor with my finger and it started. Go 50 miles and die again; wipe the rotor, starts. Replaced the cap. Thrust washers in the transmission were worn out. If I accelerated in second gear and then lifted my foot off the gas, it would pop out of gear so fast and hard I couldn't hold it in pulling as hard as I could on the gear lever. It was only 18 months old. Replaced with a '66 Lotus Cortina, 5 years old. It was a Lotus, you know the rest of the story. Engine issues, rust issues, Lucas issues, the Weber carbs were ok. The turn signals were something else, would flash quickly and kind of dim. Local Ford dealer had a tech that actually knew something about English Fords. He put a screwdriver on the bumper and touched the signal light housing; it works! Bad ground obviously. Another time used the turn signals, dash lights started flashing. Found the harness behind the instrument cluster that had been cut on a support bracket and was somehow feeding thru the turn signal flasher. Taped the harness. Currently have a Creda convection oven, $500+ control pad and function display not working. That is 16 years old, so maybe not so bad. Going to take that apart, from the symptoms it has a bad connection to the mains supply. 1967 Triumph Bonneville TT Special. Got that 11 years ago in trade for repairing a transmission on a Kawasaki 500 Triple. It had sat in a garage for 26 years; stopped running and was parked. Took that apart. Found out the right Amal carb had failed and gone full rich. It coked the right cylinder so that the exhaust valve had so much carbon on the stem that the valve was jammed partially open. Left cylinder crankcase I could see the dings and dents from when the connecting rod broke. This was 6 years old when it was parked. And this doesn't include my brother's '69 MBG GT, his '65 E-Type Coupe, '76 TR6, '62 MKII, or the '94 XJS, he got interested in the British stuff from me. Two of us are big Anglo-philes, but I'm aware of the good and bad points of the breed. My experience with British cars was probably a big reason I learned how to fix them, with an emphasis on the electrical system. First job out of trade school was at the Lotus, Jensen, Jensen-Healy, Ferrari dealer. All of this around Detroit, where foreign cars are not popular....

  6. #6millercross32013-03-24 11:24

    :falldownlaugh