Bit of background on myself, I'm an 18 year old student studying mechanical engineering, but in my free time I pretend to be a mechanic and machinist. My friends/boss has this crane he wants me to get going and I'd like to get an affirmative model number so I can try to get a service manual. I think it's an RT-528 but can't say for sure. I've looked all over and haven't found any placards or tags, the closest thing I found is a number scratched into the back of the anti two block alarm (I think that's the correct term). The number is 00782824, could that be the serial number? Also can ya'll assess the condition of the cable from a picture? I think they look kinda rusty/compromised. Thanks for any and all help.
A grove serial is 5 numbers. A lot of them had a serial stamped in on the front outrigger box. Does it have a load chart anywhere? The load chart for that crane will have model and serial. But if it doesn't have a load chart you'll need the serial to get the load chart. Maybe an Rt63s. I'm guessing that's a 70 something so I'd look for a five digit number starting with 4 or 5. Definitely not a 528. To old for that.
Agree Knepptune , sure looks like an early to mid 1970,s RT63s http://www.manitowoccranes.com/~/me...Terrain Models/RT63S/RT63S-Specifications.pdf Could also be an RT 62 ? Hard to tell . http://www.manitowoccranes.com/~/me...Rough Terrain Models/RT62S/RT62S-Brochure.pdf
Found the serial placard, someone had removed the plate it was on and put in a pile of scrap. It's an RT-63S serial number 14144. I know this is going to sound like a stupid question, but I'd like to know the engine make and can't seem to tell myself. Assuming that this catalog can be trusted; https://freecranespecs.com/Grove-RT63S(1).pdf The engine this came with was either a 504 cummins, 6V-53 Detroit, or Cat D-3150. The engine that's there is an inline 6, with a blower like a Detroit but what appears to be the fuel pump says "cummins" on the side. It's kinda confusing me. I'll try to post some pics later.
Picture of the engine would help .
Looks like I only have a picture of one side.
Looks like 1950's vintage Cummins NH 743 cubic inch engine . My buddy has one on a sawmill . I would guess it's a transplant in to the crane . http://cumminsfirepower.com/documents/NH220IF.PDF
Have you fired it up yet ?
Thanks td25c, no not yet. have to finish cleaning the hydraulic tank (full of water and algae) and get some batteries and engine oil. Apparently it's been sitting without any engine or hydraulic oil. Hopefully see if the engine is any good next week when I get back to the machine.
That's going to be a fun project for you guys . Keep us posted on it .
Will do! Hoping it's not so big of a project that it never gets done. I really need a crane and this one would be about the right size.
That rig is still in it's prime if well taken care of . Tires look decent as well . One good thing about Grove is they have great parts support on older units . Any better pictures of the boom head ? The boom looks identical to my TM 250 truck rig's .
I'm no expert, but it does seem to have some life left. The right rear tire is a bit dry rotten, but not too terrible. It's basically been sitting for the last 10 years because it had some hydraulic issues. My friend isn't a mechanic and getting the machine running was never a priority so it sat. Need to get the engine running so I can try to figure out what's wrong with it. I'm hoping the issues have nothing to do with the boom extension cylinder or boom elevation cylinders. I'd almost need another crane to deal with all that iron.
Got some hydraulic oil in the machine, now trying to get it started to assess the hydraulic system. How would ya'll go about priming this beast? It's a bit different than the ones I've played with.
Is the hyd pump higher or lower then the fluid level in the hyd tank. On most of those if the tank is full the pump will be slightly lower then the hyd oil. I will usually crack the lines coming out of the pump and turn the engine over a few times with the fuel solenoid off. Those old Parker pumps will run for a while with no oil. They are way more forgiving to getting a big gulp of air then the newer pumps.
I can prime the hydraulic pump, done it many times on my POS excavator. I was referring to getting the old cummins engine primed, it's a bit different from other diesels I've messed with. I think this crane has the same problem my old excavator does (may not be correct, just my diagnosis) that because the machine has been sitting for so long, the electrical connections going through the swing bearing are intermittent. I had to byass the key and am using a toggle switch to get the engine to turn over, but I'm thinking that the fuel is locked out (which makes sense as you mention a fuel solenoid), and that to get the engine diesel I need to jump that solenoid as well. But how would you go about priming this machine? I can't seem to find a lift pump or a little hand pump in the line and it's not really possible to install a pump in the line (one of those little electric ones).
Should be a thumb screw on the fuel solenoid on the pump . Turn it all the way in to manually open the solenoid . Put some fuel in the tank , install new fuel filter & fill it with fuel before installing . Check oil level & give her a whirl . If it starts keep an eye on oil pressure , If none after about 15 seconds shut her down by backing out the thumb screw . Sometimes after an engine sets for awhile (year's ) the oil pump looses prime . Just something to keep an eye on . Might be a good idea to install a manual gauge in the oil gallery in the beginning so you can monitor it .