Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Identify this tillage / cultivator tool

hosspuller · 2021-08-31 00:38

I bought this 9 shank tillage tool with a broken spring. I would like to get a replacement spring but can't ID the make. It looks like a "Fred Cain" Even has some blue paint. But most Fred Cain attachments have two rods for the spring perch. This attachment has a flat plate welded to the shank with holes for the two springs. The stationary perch is the typical Fred Cain rod. I would appreciate any help with sourcing new springs.

Replies5
  1. #1Bootheal2021-08-31 05:56

    I googled ‘Ford spring shank cultivator’ and found these. Probably not even close!

  2. #2hosspuller2021-08-31 09:55

    Bootheal ... Thanks. The Ford has a sort of angled link to attach the spring to the stationary perch. That's why I eliminated Ford as the maker.

  3. #3icestationzebra2021-09-12 14:39

    Never seen a unit like that. Looking at the geometry of the pivot vs. the springs it doesn't look like the shank can swing very far if it hits an obstruction. Depending on what you are trying to do with it you could easily shorten it to an eight shank unit too. ISZ

  4. #4Tinkerer2021-09-12 15:02

    It looks to me to be a really old chisel plow.

  5. #5hosspuller2021-09-12 23:42

    Thanks for your replies ... I measured the spring coil diameter, free length and wire diameter... And ordered Fred Cain springs. Getting them on to the perch was easier than I thought. Length of pipe through the spring eye to the perch provided enough leverage.