Hey guys I have a 60s model international 2404 which is the industrial version of the 404. Basically the same thing just yellow. What kind of engine oil do y’all run? I read something about low ash oil. Is that relevant today or is all oil low ash nowadays?
I don't know about IH tractors, but I looked it up and the engine does not look like anything special. Standard 15W-40 should be adequate. And yes, all the modern low emissions oils are low ash by nature. But I don't see why it would matter on an old small 4 cycle engine.
The two cycle Detroits are the most common old engine that will get you in trouble with 15w40. Even then, lot of people do fine with it. This old international will work fine on virtually any motor oil you buy these days, just change it ever couple years or so. I wouldn't use anything synthetic, because it won't do any good, and because of the possibility of making it leak worse, superstitious or not. Semi synthetics aren't the same, and don't harm seals, 15w40 won't be a true synthetic and will be fine for seals.
Thanks for the replies