Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Identifying a Clark forklift

Big Val E Ranch ยท 2021-01-10 15:31

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and in need of some help. A neighbor recently gave me an older 6000 lb Clark forklift, he said it ran but was in need of a starter motor rebuild. I pulled the starter out and brought it to a local rebuild shop that was recommended to me. A week or two passed by with no word from the shop so I returned to find out what was happening. Apparently the owner of the shop went to his ranch in Mexico until mid February and left no word regarding my starter. After a lengthy search of his shop the starter could not be located and now I have a lift stuck in front of my shop for the next couple of months. I'm looking for help identifying what year lift it is, I've searched the mast and the rest of the lift for a serial number or identifying tag but have found nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies16
  1. #1TD242021-01-10 23:04

    From the pic it appears to be a Clark Carloader at 5,000 cap or a Clark Utilitruc at 6,000 cap. That bolted on exterior counterweight shown leaves some doubt. Anyway. somewhere on the RIGHT side, (sitting in the seat) there will be a number cut in. Will start with CL...... .... if a Carloader and with UT .... ..... if a Utilitruc. From the pic, I would expect to find it along and on top of the frame (from about where that can of brake fluid ??) is sitting, going back toward the rear. It is unlikely to be on the actual slab side (black in pic) as it is removable. Letters, then numbers, sometimes dashes between, like CL-482-68. Will be cut in and about an inch high. Look close, find something, scrape away three coats of paint, find your number. THEN scrape another inch both in both directions to be SURE you have it all. Find a good number, post it here and we can probably get you a part number. (Orig paint then was RED.)

  2. #2Big Val E Ranch2021-01-11 20:08

    Thank you so much for your response and help!! I scraped the paint off the top rail as you recommended, no numbers as of yet however my hopes are still high. I'll try some paint remover on the side of the rail and look there. Thank you again, Tod

  3. #3crane operator2021-01-11 22:05

    If you posted up some pictures of the engine, someone will likely be able to identify the motor, and then you could go about finding a starter. That might be easier than trying to identify the actual lift. I know a lot of old forklifts had continental flat heads.

  4. #4Big Val E Ranch2021-01-12 10:46

    I was told that it is a Lincoln motor, four cylinder flathead

  5. #5TD242021-01-12 11:59

    If 4 cyl it will be a Continental F-162 or F-163. That engine was used in a lot of Lincoln gas powered welders.

  6. #6Big Val E Ranch2021-01-13 20:17

    All the paint has been removed, so indication of an ID number. Is it possible that the number could be behind the counter weight or any other ideas where to look? Thank you in advance Tod

  7. #7TD242021-01-14 15:44

    Could be, if the additional bolt on weight was added after it left the factory. I have never seen a Clark SN on a removable part. However, it is hard to get a perspective from recent pics as to what area you have covered. Also, the pic in your original post shows a cover removed. Again, doubt it being on it. Humor me... Back off about 10 feet from the right side and take a series of pics at two foot advance increments. NOT A VIDEO. Make the last one looking down showing the full length of the frame portion there. I want to see it as if I was walking up to it and looking down on it. (The number will be there, on that side) Sorry for delay. Been getting COVID vaccine shots lined up-Busy.

  8. #8Big Val E Ranch2021-01-14 19:52

    Delayed or not your response is greatly appreciated!! I believe these pictures of what you requested, I've looked until my old eyes are bloodshot but..... I can't thank you enough for your help. Tod

  9. #9Big Val E Ranch2021-01-14 20:00

    Last picture

  10. #10TD242021-01-15 14:50

    Appreciate pics. Email me direct as: forktruk@yahoo,com We may get longer msg here and not to tie up the thread. RJ

  11. #11lantraxco2021-01-17 05:26

    I worked on a couple of those forty years ago, they were antiques then....

  12. #12TD242021-01-18 10:40

    They were relics. Could not locate SN# to decide it an ancient Carloader or a more ancient Utilitrc. Both would have been in 1934 to 1939. Lotta bolt on cast iron then..

  13. #13lantraxco2021-01-18 14:15

    I would guess carloader due to the tall counterweight, they were a bit shorter for making turns.

  14. #14TD242021-01-18 15:21

    Was puzzled by the bolt on saddle bag weights. Most CL in our area were straight line frame with battery inside and SN cut in top edge of frame. Had one old Utilitruc we serviced. Even stranger its SN# was designated as HUTF xxxxxxxxx. I can always recall it as the shop referred to it as that old Huff up at ??. The UT was for Utilitruc, but usually an F on Clark signified friction clutch, and an H signified Hydratork transmission. I remember the old "C" model with clutches, as CF30- CF40 CF50 etc. Same ruck with Hydratork was just a "C"30-40-50. The C500 series first showed up as CF355---- if it had a clutch. Don't even get into Yale's nomenclature, take a book to determine color.

  15. #15old-iron-habit2021-01-18 23:04

    Have you gone to your local parts store and have them look up a starter for the Continental F-162 or F-163 engine. May be quite available and if it don't fit send it back. Try this, It has pictures to. They list starters for the Lincolns with Continental engines. Engine Starter | Lincoln Parts | Repair Parts | Weldmart Online : https://www.weldmart.com/main/repairparts/lincoln/starter.html

  16. #16TD242021-01-20 14:36

    Worth a try if you do not want to wait. Random thought of Lincoln used their own flywheel ring gear. Check tooth contact on trials for fit and depth.