Hey guys, wondering if you would share some knowledge on truck suspension types. I've been sorta looking for a bigger dump truck and starting to comes across different suspension types I've never seen or heard of. I'm very familiar with Hendrickson walking beam, but what else is out there, what are the pros/cons of them, and do you have any pictures to help with identifying them? I tried googling but most of what comes up is Hendrickson, or generic air ride, etc.
What is this suspension? Nothing in the ad says what it is.
This should help some... https://www.google.com/url?q=http:/...FjAIegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw3UKKiQwE6aLHY31z90ft4-
I've been away from trucks for so long! I've seen plenty of the basics for trucks and trailers but would probably be a little lost if I had to look at all those different kinds of ride systems. Thanks for the link!
The suspension in that pic is looks like Freightliner TufTrac. That or Hendrickson walking beam would work best. I'd avoid air suspension in a class 8 dump truck, loaded dump trucks are a top heavy load and they get a bit squirrely with air suspension on off road haul roads.
in my opinion for a dump truck, hendrickson over air-ride. just make sure the walking- beam bushings are good. city work with all the turning can be hard on them. springs are ok but may sag or break. rubber blocks will shake out your teeth fillings when empty. when I used to drive a gravel truck it was harder to feel a soft road shoulder with an air ride. just my 2 cents
That is very useful, thanks @Spud_Monkey for the link
I know better than to get air ride. I've been around Hendrickson quite a bit, and that's mostly what I'm looking for, just curious what the other types out there are. That pic I shared was a Freightliner, so that makes sense being their own version of heavy duty suspension.
See a lot of newer concrete trucks with the haulmax rubber bushing type suspension, but I've never owned one. The neway suspensions are supposed to be pretty rugged too. A lot of dumps by me are 4 spring rayco (pretty durable): Camelback mack (which I really like): Beam biscuit (a walking beam with no springs- rides terrible, but virtually indestructable): Haulmax, basically a rubber block over a beam:
Neway: they also make a 4 bag leaf, but this is the more "off road" suspension
When it comes to tough, ain't much tougher that Mack Camel back, tested tough.
You're welcome guys, glad I could help as you much as you guys do.
Thank you for sharing the pics and info @crane operator . Very useful for me.
This is a chalmers suspension, great traction low maintenance.