Have my track off and I noticed the idler is quite loose. If I am not mistaken there is a bushing that goes on between the axle and the wheel itself? I have the idler out in a position I can see the bin that goes through but I don't want to do anything stupid. My first thought was to punch it out but I was wondering if someone had more advice?
View attachment DjVu Document.pdf It looks like this, should be filled with oil.
Do you have the labels for each part? Something there doesn't look quite right.
1 filler plug 2 wheel 3 bearings, axial/radial glide type. 4 duo-cone seals, 2 on each side, a thick oring and a steelring. 5 seal oring, keeps oil from leaking out around the shaft 6 pin, to keep the shaft in place 7 shaft 8 brackets, bolts together to form a "U" and connects to the spring assembly.
Your machine takes the same Idler as the Cat 312. If the shaft is loose your seals have failed and oil has leaked out and probably ruined the inside of the idler. I wouldn't waste time trying to repair your old one. You could probably find a new aftermarket locally for around $425-$450. Most of the time trying to repair an old idler ends up costing around the same or higher as a new one. Good Luck