Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Idlers

Zrock ยท 2016-10-22 15:30

What are people doing to prolong the life of the front idlers on a skid steer? Don't matter if we use oem or aftermarket about every 2 years they are toast with only a few hundred hours on em. I've been told that they are filled with oil. Been thinking of dumping the oil and filing with grease. Only problem their if I pop a seal it will be toast shortly after Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies11
  1. #1Canadian_digger2016-10-22 18:55

    What machine? My cat has 2000hrs only replaced one rear idler so far.

  2. #2Jeepwalker2016-10-22 19:05

    What's failing, bearings?

  3. #3Zrock2016-10-22 19:11

    Yep bearing or bushing what ever is in their. 440ct case with 1800hrs I think we are on the 3rd set now. Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

  4. #4lantraxco2016-10-22 19:22

    Since it's the front, most likely they are hammering out, rather than losing lube, but if there's an easy way to check and relube them, why not just do it once a year when you hit a slow week? Or drill and tap for a grease zerk if there's a place you can make it work.

  5. #5Zrock2016-10-22 19:49

    Their lies the problem. Yes they can be checked they have threaded holes for filling. But when they loose their oil it must leave all at once and the dirt and mud washes away sign of the leak. I have watched and never seen a leak and yet I have another one blown out. I can easily add a grease fitting but it will have to be taken out every time or get sheared off by a rock. I may just add a grease fitting and drill a 1/8 hole or smaller at the farthest point away from the grease fitting. This way I won't blow out the seals if we put to much grease in it. Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

  6. #6DIYDAVE2016-10-22 21:07

    You might want to try JD cornhead grease, and also build a guard, around the fitting, like the valve stem guard, like on a SS wheel...

  7. #7JD88752016-10-22 21:14

    It would mean carrying another tip for the grease gun but you can get recessed fittings that grease with a "needle". Good luck John

  8. #8Zrock2016-10-22 23:29

    Corn head grease... is that a real thing...lol.. ya I was thinking the guard.. Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

  9. #9fast_st2016-10-23 05:42

    Are you able to rebush the idilers? keep one set in rotation? What kind of work is the machine doing? lots of fast forward/reverse transitions? heavy carrying? high speed?

  10. #10DIYDAVE2016-10-23 08:08

    https://youtu.be/7zNhli-J0Gk

  11. #11Zrock2016-10-23 10:50

    Machine does a variety of work but mostly now just placing and leveling. On a variety of surfaces.. this time I'm going to tear one apart and see if it's salable Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk