Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

If anyone is interested

Truck Shop · 2021-02-08 17:29

My partner in the shop{Gayle} turned 76 today and also gave a three week notice, after fifty years of the truck repair and trucking business he is calling it quits and he should. I will be looking for someone with some experience and most of all some drive. It's a demanding job working fleet and it definitely isn't for everyone. It's mainly Services, Brakes and more brakes, radiators, starters, lights and so on. I don't do engines anymore and all our transmissions are AMT's except for just a few. Everything is under warranty that can be. The job might seem boring but some days you set on your *** others you scoot. Feast or famine. It pays by the hour with benefits and a gas/fuel card. Weekends are expected because that's when the trucks come off the road. If you have a CDL there is also the tow truck to drive at times. I don't expect anybody to reply to this post, but what the hell give it a shot. There are several guy's on this forum I would trust in the shop. I only have three years left myself so who ever takes Gayles spot will in the end be running the show. Just a PM.

Replies33
  1. #1Tyler d4c2021-02-08 18:00

    This sounds like its up my alley but im on the wrong side of the country

  2. #2Truck Shop2021-02-08 18:01

    Most everyone on here is.

  3. #3Vetech632021-02-08 18:51

    I nominate Khansen

  4. #4Truck Shop2021-02-08 18:58

    I nominate-------You.

  5. #5Vetech632021-02-08 19:04

    Have I said in here that I hate trucks? LOL I got roped into changing an air compressor on a N14 last week. I bet I spent 2 hours trying to bend a wrench at just the right angle to get to that bottom inside b*****d bolt. I had that wrench almost perfect except for a slight bend in the wrong direction......so I popped it with a hammer and it snapped into. I was cussing that dam truck HARD!

  6. #6Truck Shop2021-02-08 19:13

    That's no problem--I have the tools-----------small rental fee.

  7. #7Vetech632021-02-08 19:37

    Can I hang this sign at the front door!?

  8. #8Truck Shop2021-02-08 20:13

    Probably.

  9. #9Junkyard2021-02-08 20:42

    I have the very wrench you need.....haha

  10. #10Vetech632021-02-08 20:49

    I nominate ^^^^

  11. #11Truck Shop2021-02-08 20:54

    But you won't need those tools because none of them fit a DD15.

  12. #12Junkyard2021-02-08 20:59

    Don’t have any of those....last Detorit I messed with besides the 2 strokes was a Series 60 and that’s been awhile!

  13. #13Truck Shop2021-02-08 21:05

    We don't do much engine wise-warranty. Just water pumps, starters and the like. Only have three 14L Series 60's left and two of those have fresh engines.

  14. #14Coaldust2021-02-09 00:15

    Sounds like a good gig.

  15. #15lantraxco2021-02-09 20:26

    Nobody would ever nominate me, but where ARE you located Truck Shop?

  16. #16Truck Shop2021-02-09 21:09

    Walla Walla

  17. #17lantraxco2021-02-09 21:14

    One ping only, Vasilly.... on my scope. 465 miles.

  18. #18Vetech632021-02-09 21:14

    I nominate lantraxco!

  19. #19Truck Shop2021-02-09 21:19

    Coos Bay

  20. #20lantraxco2021-02-09 21:22

    Dammit, what did I ever do to you? LOL. "You still any good at your age?" "Hell no, I was never any good at any age." Ask any of the many... ex employers.

  21. #21lantraxco2021-02-09 21:25

    For my sins.

  22. #22Truck Shop2021-02-09 21:25

    No one will work seven days a week-that's the job. Everyone wants weekends off to spend money they don't have.

  23. #23lantraxco2021-02-09 21:30

    I would much rather work weekends, you get more done with fewer interruptions. But at my mileage (it's not the year of manufacture, it's the mileage) I'm lucky to get thirty hours in a good week. Chronic fatigue. Sucks. Would be a great job for an experienced young guy in his late forties to jump into.

  24. #24Truck Shop2021-02-09 21:38

    Well I pretty much figure I will be going it alone with the one helper that's there now and he is 66 and I'm 65. I have the typical boss {do more with less}. I will just shorten my time there I have no debt I owe nothing. So in the end it will be He who {does less with less}.

  25. #25Tugger22021-02-09 21:48

    Sounds like the boss is gonna hit the concrete floor at the bottom of the empty talent pool pretty soon.

  26. #26Truck Shop2021-02-09 22:01

    That's about it Tugger.

  27. #27Tugger22021-02-09 22:40

    Talent pool here is getting dry for operators on old conventionals to. Except im the boss too standing too close to the edge of the pool.

  28. #28kshansen2021-02-10 10:17

    What! I can barely get enough ambition to read this forum and have a Sportster that needs someone to figure out an oil leak on before the snow is gone. My main job these days is running the snow blowers to keep the driveway clear so wife can get to the store to buy food to feed me!

  29. #29Crummy2021-02-10 10:47

    (Good)Shop mechanics seem to be in high demand. A few places here looking. I talked with someone last week from a local lumber mill & they can't find a Millwright that doesn't just make a problem worse.

  30. #30petepilot2021-02-11 00:34

    I`m sure reading some pretty good excuses here keep it up guys

  31. #31Coaldust2021-02-11 00:53

    Is being able to pass an UA a requirement?

  32. #32skyking12021-02-11 00:54

    If I get by my truck shop I will ask John if he is looking for a change of scenery

  33. #33old-iron-habit2021-02-11 15:18

    Funny you say that. My Millwright nephew whom is only 27 is going to S. Carolina next week for a one week job with the contractor he works for. They did some work a year ago there and the mill owner said, "Send the kid, or don't come. He cares about what he does!" It is hard to find younger talent with a good work ethic and willing to learn. I think they are some out there but the smart companies are doing all they can to keep them to.