Hi there, Well I had a bit of an adventure this evening involving our 2388 an icy road and an old man in a cattle truck. Lets call him Jim M. Anyways, guy was coming at me and stopped, I stopped, pulled over he wouldn't move I drove up close to him and pulled over again, he came at me, I didn't think there was enough room and moved another inch to the right and down I went. Scared the willies out of me. So, then seeing what the guy had caused he drove away...Jerk!!! Anyways, no one was hurt, the combine wasn't hurt either. So, here I was, in the ditch. The head was now on the ground, or at least what looked to be on the ground, so I tilted it all the way to one side. Got out in a fit of rage that the guy had just sped away. Then a very nice young kid stopped and asked what he could do, you know, neighbourly stuff. I sent him up the road to "Third High Farms" to send one of the boss's down to see me. Of course, whenever something like this happens the road you are on becomes the busiest road in the county. I've never seen so much traffic on it before. Oh well, I got to see lots of people and lots of people stopped to talk. Out 9250 showed up with a logging chain. At about the same time Third High Farms TJ330? showed up from the other direction as well. We hooked up the chain to the 3pt of our 9250 and the combine came out like nothing. We were worried that how icy the road was traction would be an issue but it wasn't. Good thing we have a 3pt on the tractor, simply hooking to the drawbar would have NOT been enough. So away I went again. ALMOST at the shed, I mean I can see the building. And this little ***** with his gf in a POS little foreign car stop in the exact middle of the road. I get over as far as I can without doing the same thing again (that would be embarrassing) and he doesn't move. So, I back up into the middle of the road and drive up to him. Sit there. I jerk ahead. Still sits there. I get out and "nicely" ask him to move. He refuses. I thought about going back and getting a wrench, but instead began to call the police and he finally backed up. I made it. So a VERY big thanks to "Third High Farms" for coming to the rescue, I'm very happy we didn't need them, but they were there anyways. Third High is our biggest competitor for land in the area so it does mean a lot that they came out. An even bigger thanks to Jim M.... And the biggest thanks of all to the Township of South Dundas for (a) building a road up 4ft and then not putting shoulders on and (b) plowing but NOT salting a paved road Ok, rant like story over. Warren Please note that the head is tilted all the way to one side, so the combine is much steeper than the head would trick you into believing
Dang that didn't look like fun. Put sure do like pics. I was always told that the bigger of anything has the RIGHT OF WAY. Darin
Yeah that looks a little scarry. Do you normally still harvest this time of year? We finished up a week ago but have been a month behind all year.
Good story, Nice pics. However, its a little late in the year to be running around with a combine isn't it?
We had actually finished the night before at around 1am just before the snow started to fly. This year has been a very wet and snowy year. We were right on schedule with planting and then it started to rain every day for a month pushing everything back at least 2 weeks. Things sort of evened out and beans was right normal for harvest. We finished beans and hit the corn for one day and then it snowed almost a foot in late October and that knocked us out for over a week. Then we had a good push, and it snowed again. We got down to this one last 204ac field. It snowed again. Each time it snowed that was 3-8 days of no harvest. I'm glad we are done. 3 and 4 years ago we finished in February and March respectively. NOT fun to haul everything out to work half a day only to be snowed out again when it is -20.
you looked into a header cart? (yes i know another vehicle to the field and back...) guys road 8 rows like you do here, we road our 6row 38" heads. seems like the driving population is slowly shifting to less tolerance of SMV's/farm traffic in general.... what maturity range corn you guys plant? we operate in the 108-118RM bracket. do you select hybrids for stalk strength to stand all winter if necessary? lower the planting pops? spray fungicides? or just hope you dont have it out that long and pickr up when it crashes? what kind of yields were you dealing with? field averages where in the 180-230bpa range here...
As Rusty Dewes, AKA The Logger would say, "I don't see a sign that says "PARK HERE"". :slomo Seriously tho, I got pushed into the ditch with a plow truck one night but I was able to just drop it in 4WD and just drive myself out. I was also climbing a hill in a mixer past a house one day when a ball came out of the yard across the road from me so I moved over as far as I could and ended up sucked into the ditch. I was only in 2nd gear in a five speed mack so i just geared down to first then crawled up the ditch to the next driveway and just drove out of the ditch back onto the road and away I went. I'm glad neither you or the machine was hurt.
I see this all the time. What the hell is a guy in a combine going to do. Backup a mile so the truck can go by. In the woods if you met a logging truck you ran your pickup off the road and he drove by and then backed up and yanked you out.
Oh we have 2 header wagons, one for the corn head, that gets used only to store the head on, and one for the 30ft flex head that obviously gets used between each field. We have never taken our 8 row head off in the past and this little adventure won't make us take it off in the future. This will however make me the biggest ******* in the world hogging up the entire road from this day further. HAHA. We don't use growing degree days in Canada so I'm not sure, but 108-118 sounds about right. If you know anything about CHU's we grow 3200 to 2750 corn. This year our yields were down 20% due to an over abundance of rain. Average corn yield was 135bu/ac down from 168bu/ac last 2 years over 1800ac of corn. Our best corn did in the 200 range and our worst is well...we won't go there. This year we had a record low yield of 25bu/ac...LOL. Overall this year we were down 20bpa on each field at least. We select varieties on bushel weight, then standability. We don't have time to drop the head to the ground and drive slow to get every last kernel. When it snows here it might be march by the time you can think about getting back into the field. We aim no matter what 32000plants per acre when seeding corn for a 28000 stand. Each of the last 3 years we have done fungicide trials on corn at tassel and each year have had a very positive increase so this might be common practice in this area in a few years from now. We do use granular insecticide at seeding on nearly all the corn to prevent root work and improve standability.
I wasn't so lucky. The R2 rubber on that combine will take it just about anywhere forwards, but backing up it is pretty well useless. The ditch just kept getting deeper in front of me but very shallow behind. I tried to back up but that just made it worse so I sat and waited for the big 4wd to show up.
makes sense, i was just kinda curious as different areas do different things. your pretty full season, i figured i'd get an answer like 100-85rm on varieties. we have normally seen enough yield increase to pay for the fungicide at least, and maybe make a buck or too. it does add another point of moisture, and in general will increase standability/fall intactness.
Yes, its a pity they didn't/couldn't offer a diff lock for that transmission
What part of Illinois are you located in Kmb83? Interesting thread, farmerkowsbest- how did the combine perform in the snow? Around here we had some guys that had trouble keeping the sieves from plugging up with snow ointhead
Well short of going in the ditch...lol, very well. We don't generally harvest if there is any snow or frost on the corn as like you said the sieves will plug. I find that caseih combines handle snow better than the other brands. I don't know why, but it is just the way it seems.
west central. (gods country if you will....)
ahhh that is gods country, got a buddie with a farm near farmington IL.(Fulton CO). Very good farm ground with some nice deer hunting. I live just south of chi town
some people need a serious attitude readjustment, glad to hear ur competitor came to help that sure is rare,
KMB83 can you run that crawler aroumd to break up this ice?
i'm thinking couple days of low 50's will get a lot more done that i would. that and besides i'd be trying to load that dang thing with ice on the trailer..... :dizzy
great story, its nice to have help when you need it.
looks like the machine was not to far from going over. I hate people these days that think nothing of farm and contruction equipment. I'm glad everything turned out ok.