What one or two machines would you start your business with and why?:beatsme
12 or 15 ton excavator and a Cat D5M. Around here if you play your cards right you can use the dozer on your jobs and then subcontract it and an operator to the US Forest Service to cut fireline for about $3000+ a day. Not a bad gig.
I haven't started the first time but a rubber tired backhoe and a single axle dumptruck would be my first two items.Ron G
A 312C Cat excavator, D5N, tag-a-long and a 10 wheeler. (not triaxle, so I wouldn't be tempted to use it for hire, just moving and my own use.)
Well I started with a Mack B61 sixwheeler and a dynahoe 120. If i could do it all again I would have bought a brand new John Deere 410 a Peterbilt triaxle brand new cat 320, but unfortunately my father didn't loan me a million dollars when I started. Oh ya and Peterbilt triaxles weren't to common back in 1975
What I have now except newer. Replace Takeuchi TB070 with TB175 17,000 excavator Happy with my 2 975 bobcats Happy with my L9000 ford Happy with my F350 4x4's with plows. well maby upgrade to F450's Replace 1974 Pelican with New Pelican Street sweeper happy with my Elgin AirCub but if replacing it it would have right and left side curb brooms. 20 year old blonde bar owner/ just kidding I am happy with what I have had for the last 33 years. Without the blonde looks like I would go in dept about 1 million to start with. With the blonde about 2 million. LOL Man I just added up what I have spent on equipment over the last 25 years and it is scarry. Now how much have I spent on My wife????? I think the blonde sounds like a good deal.
I don't care what I have....I can get by...well...maybe a new 966 But if I had to do it over it would be without the fast women, faster cars and the slow horses
Nice idea TSS, I was just thinking this the other day. If I were going to go back into biz for myself, and didn't go the same route that we have done in the past.(Dozers, excavators, and scrapers) I would buy myself an S300 Bobcat, add steel tracks(removable), and a 3 way bucket. I am sure I would have some more attachments purchased, but the bobcat dealer is in town(so renting is easy as well). A dumptruck would be in the works as well, and still a work truck and trailer. There are alot of Amish farms around now and they are always looking for skidloader work done(we have worked for a number in the past and all good customers). Besides that there are so many different projects that I could get into, from tree removal and stump grinding, to driveways, ditch work, small building sites, etc. I know that from having an excavator that it wouldn't be too long before I bought one again, cause I love it. so for a start. S300 bobcat with different buckets and such Tandem or tri-axle dump truck 1-ton pick up, and trailer 315 CAT excavator tractor and lowboy Trbo
Kobelco 150 SR Bladerunner, 544H and a nice tandem/20 ton tag.
hyundai 210 and a dump truck
A good triaxle...probably would just barely make a living with it, but it would get your name established. I'd then buy/rent a 160 size excavator.
I have fiddled around with excavating and have taken on some smaller jobs even though I have a tree company. From what I've ran I'd go with; CAT 304C CR with a hydrolic grapple & quick coupler & cab CAT 287C with cab, harley rake, pallet forks, 4-in-1 bucket, auger & snowblower Petebilt 335 with 14' dump body Ford F-550 ext cab with 9' dump body Ford F-350 ext cab pickup Do hardscape, landscape & light excavation. Also act a a sub; lots of plumbers & electrical guys rather sub out a guy with the equipment then rent the stuff them selves. Around here there aren't many big jobs anymore & lots of guys with full-size backhoes & trachoes sitting with little work. With smaller equipment it would fit a niche that is very big and not many guys own their own "mini" equipment. If I needed anything bigger I could just rent. My son is serouisly considering going into this business. He's better then me at working the machines. ssshhhh No one saw that.
Anything that is paid for. That way I can put money in the bank insted of giving it to the bank.
Ummmm..... If I had to do it all over again - I think I would have went to law school and forgot about construction. Have you guys ever had to hire one ? My gosh! I wish I could bill like that! Example from lawyers bill: While taking my morning dump, thought about client's case for 15 mins - that totals $77.50. ( what does that say about my legal representation! )
do you guys think that starting out you could be more profitable with an excavator (12-20tonne machine) and a dumptruck , then with a skidsteer and small dumptruck?
This is my first post . I have been in construction for 20 years on the payroll end and only have 2 years experience on the payment(to the bank)end this is what I have done My first purchase was a 311B with a blade and a Wain Roy wrist. I did a lot of research on a lot of machines this size.finally found a deal that I felt I could live with. I worked it the first season keeping my full time regular job. Made enough to make the payments through the winter.Winters are tough here when the frost goes deep the machines go to sleep.When spring came I purchased a reasonably priced 10 wheeler and a 20 ton tag.Saved enough in moving fees to make their payments.hope to give up regular job in the spring. Also added a thumb to the 311.Will never be without again.:usa
Welcome to HEF freedom digger! :drinkup
In my area you would make more "profit" from the smaller equipment however you may not be able to keep it as busy as the larger equipment. So it all comes down to who your customers are and the type of work you can get.