Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ignition / start switches in plastic housings

wlhequipment ยท 2023-10-03 13:36

Hey guys, Do you run into these alot? Small machines with ignition / start switches (key switches) that were installed in a plastic or thin metal housing? The hole is usually D shaped, and over time the switch starts to spin in there and round out the hole, so you don't have that flat side. Options are to replace the housing the switch is in, which is sometimes not even possible anymore, or rig up some goofy thing that doesn't even work well. What do you guys do in that situation? I run into this all the time. I have a little Wacker Neuson roller in here now that has a wallered out key switch hole. I'd have to replace the entire steering pedestal to fix it properly, and that is going to be ridiculously expensive. Does anyone make a sort of a patch for something like this? I'm thinking of maybe a small piece of sheet metal I could rivet into place to restore the D shape.

Replies4
  1. #1cfherrman2023-10-03 22:34

    Remove the key and put an on/off toggle in, I don't think a key is going to stop someone from stealing it and keeps down time from someone stealing the key. If you need a lock out capability do it with a battery disconnect

  2. #2Old Doug2023-10-04 08:23

    I have had good luck using some silicon adhesive sealer or JB weld. It will be a deal next time but it fixed the problem for now.

  3. #3wlhequipment2023-10-04 19:30

    Thanks guys, it was worth a shot.

  4. #4Jonas3022023-10-04 20:55

    Some ideas McMaster-Carr McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day. www.mcmaster.com Bolt On 13/16 inch Ignition Switch Mounting Tab / Bracket - Tumbled Stainless Most ignition key switches have a 'D' shaped body so they don't rotate when you turn the key. However, most people don't have the necessary D-shaped drill bit, www.lowbrowcustoms.com https://www.amazon.com/Weld-Ignition-Switch-Mounting-TC/dp/B074HMPRG5 ignition switch mounting bracket - Google Search