Hey Guys, I have a Wacker Neuson G240 Generator with a 6068HF485 John Deere diesel in the shop. It needs a service and when I pulled the air cleaner filter there was oil in the intake. I checked the turbo and noticed there is about a 1/4" end-play on this VGT turbo. Is this normal? I'm not familiar with VGT Turbos...
1/4” seems excessive. Does the turbine touch the housing? I suppose it doesn’t matter. If the turbo is leaking oil it’s time for a replacement.
The turbine is not rubbing the housing. I didn't confirm the oil source yet. I'm guessing it's coming from the turbo but I also have a crankcase breather tube connected to the intake in that area.
I'm assuming the breather hose is hooked into the intake side of the engine. Usually there is a restrictor in the hose fitting that prevents engine oil from the crankcase vent entering the turbo intake. If you have very dirty air filters it can severely increase the vacuum in that line and can also draw oil in some instances. If you are talking about shaft endplay?.......1/4 is way too much.
I find alot of times turbos have a decent amount of up and down (Radial play) but shouldn’t have hardly any in and out (axial play). We have a c-15 that has .016” axial and although that is excessive its not rubbing any where and isn’t leaking, so we monitor it.
I would put a dial on it and get readings. I bet you would be surprised. It feels like alot in the hand, but I would be surprised if it was 1/4”. (.250”) and still functional. Plus if you have readings, and keep running it, you have a reference to see if it’s getting worse or not.
Look up how much a head is or how much the engine is as well how much a turbo is. Ive blown two turbos with one tubing leaving the exhaust and not seeing anything from it and the other was a split compressor and took out the head on a series 60. Do what your comfortable with.
I have not had cause to mess with any VGT turbos yet, but .250 would be outrageously sloppy for a 1960s windmill turbo, let along these 100k rpm techno monsters. There is no way it is running efficiently with large end play: either the compressor blades or the turbine blades are way too far from the housing.
sounds like a fair amount!! of end play. oil in the air cleaner is not normal. take off the clamp and hose that come from the outlet of the turbo and go to the inlet manifold stick your finger in the hose is it oily? start the engine and put a clean piece of cardboard near the disconnected end of the intake hose rev up the engine....getting oil spatter?...time to replace the turbo or turbo seal
forgot this.... check out you breather system and is there a filter in the turbo drain ? back to oil pan they can be plugged causing a restriction and puddling of the oil. on its way back to pan
There should be some kind of separator/filter in the breather system between the valve cover and the turbo inlet. What condition is that part in?
IF it has one and i would have to say I described it wrong . Birkin is correct it a filter separator they have a screw top with several lugs on the top to get ahold off to unscrew and access the filter inside they are often a very neglected service part
This John Deere VGT turbo had an end-play of .110", and oil was entering the engine intake. We are having the turbo rebuilt. Thank you for your responses!