Hello, digger started as normal yesterday. I turned it off for an hour, when I went back and hour later it wouldn't start, lights came on and buzzer sounded, but when the key was turned to the start position, nothing happened. I needed to use the digger so turned ignition on and jumped the solenoid connection with the permanent starter connection and it started straight away. So is it a fault with the switch or cables, by the way I have changed the starter relay only recently, or could the relay have blown for some reason. Could someone advise me how I can test the switch and possibly the relay, Thank you.
Have someone turn on the key while you check with a test light at the other end. No power check the back of the ignition switch to see if power is coming out of the terminal going to the starter. If you have power at the terminal you have a short which could be a dirty connection also.
Probably was just the neutral safety, acting up a little bit.
Definitely another possibility. I always tell young guys at work to never waist time with a test light in your hand until you have gone to a know good battery and test the light first.
Finally, I think that the connector on the cable going to the spade terminal on the solenoid was loose. I changed the terminal making sure it was tight, and, for the moment all is well, I also found that the cable which goes to the cut off switch on the diesel pump was a bit loose and the insulation on that cable was bare in a couple of places, and I sorted that. Very difficult removing and replacing that M8 nut, specially when the digger was parked in the field. Can anyone tell me the specification of the screws which hold the dashboard and ignition switch are, I am pretty sure they are imperial not metric (I live in France), I cannot find the originals and I will have to order replacements. There should be 16 of them, no idea how they got lost.
Maybe post a picture of the missing screw location and maybe someone will reply. Simon C
Perhaps if you look in the online parts book -->locate the the instrument cluster in the electrical section and the screws will be described in the parts list.