Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

IH 2400 backhoe/loader

danielm ยท 2007-12-07 13:55

Anyone familiar with this machine? It has a U1111 backhoe and a U9111 loader. I believe it may be the equal to the ag IH 454. It has a D179 three cylinder diesel. Seller says it hasn't run in a yr or two. I've yet to see it run. My plan is to use it around the farm. Price is $3K which is high for scrap iron so I'm holding out 'til I can find out more about it. I'm finding very little info about the 2400. Weight, knowned problems? My first 'official' post here. Glad I was directed to the HEF. Looks like a few knowlegdable folks here.

Replies110
  1. #1danielm2007-12-07 17:36

    It runs with a few small leaks at one of the loader hoses. Everything stayed up so it seems fairly tight. The boom does not swing however, it will move if pushed manually as long as the swing lever is pulled. Odd to me because the swing lever valve (spool) looks to be supplied with the same pressure as the arm, bucket, outriggers... One big hydraulic valve sandwich. So, how could this be??? I hope I can move it.

  2. #2OneWelder2007-12-07 18:22

    Most of the smaller Internationals of this era used a Diverter valve - You could swing or you could steer! look around the hoe part of the cab - as I remember most were a black push- pull button similar to an air brake release button, but I am sure they had other styles

  3. #3danielm2007-12-07 19:02

    It steers OK so this could be. However, all the hoe levers are sandwiched and supplied by the same pump. Although, I don't see any place to put steering, brake fluid in. Must all run off the same system. I'm hoping it's not more than 8K lbs. I only have four tires under the trailer. The AG equal (IH454) weighs 3600lbs. Add to that the loader and backhoe plus front end weights. I need to haul it about 45 miles to get to the farm.

  4. #4Phil2007-12-07 19:21

    This machine might be similar to what you have and it had the diverter valve as OneWelder said. I think it was under the seat. I saved a picture of it. Phil

  5. #5OneWelder2007-12-07 19:56

    to be a Little more specific ; it probably has two hydraulic pumps( could have three but doubt it) One for implements, and one for steering . they used a diverter valve on the steering pump circuit so they could use a smaller implement pump some models had flywheel driven hydraulic pumps, some one crankshaft driven in the front ( implement) another driven by ft. eng. gear train (power steering pump) It should have common hydraulic tank located in front of the windshield, next to the fuel tank. Hydraulic tank has the larger cap, probably has filter under cap.

  6. #6danielm2007-12-07 22:20

    Very similar to the pic Phil posted. I found one pump hanging off the side of the trans housing just about under or, to the rear of the drivers right foot. The entire backhoe hydraulics appear to be controlled with valves that are sandwiched (stacked) together with a common supply. A diverter valve would make sense given the problem here. I would think the seller, who has used it for yrs, would be aware of it. Here's a pic. Only a mother would be proud.

  7. #7Countryboy2007-12-09 18:16

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums danielm! :drinkup

  8. #8danielm2007-12-09 20:21

    Thanks! Retrieval of the IH2400 was delayed this weekend. I'm fighting two intermittant trailer brake problems. Fed up so I rewired the trailer. Now I found two broken solder joints in the controller. Maybe Tuesday...

  9. #9roache@wildblue2007-12-10 09:59

    Return hydraulic filter? Owner of a 2400 back hoe (IH 454?) for 8 years. Hearty machine. Is there a return hydraulic filter on these machines ? Not sure what the device is locataed in a large canister under the driver's right foot. Machine running like a top, leary to touch anything that I don't know.

  10. #10Countryboy2007-12-10 19:23

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums roache@wildblue! :drinkup

  11. #11danielm2007-12-10 23:12

    I noticed that can under there near the pump. It looked to me like it might house a filter element. I'll post details when I get this one to the farm and go thru it. Do you have any idea what it weighs?

  12. #12roache@wildblue2007-12-11 08:17

    Very small trailer My 2400 backhoe was delivered privately 35 miles on a small 4 wheel trailer. He too was concerned as it was a rather small trailer, but no problems. With 4 nose weights, would guess the weight about 6200 pounds or so.

  13. #13danielm2007-12-11 10:01

    Excellent! My trailer is very heavy with four 16" load range "E" tires. About 8K of load is my safe limit for the tires. Although, I drove over the scales once at 19,860 total. Do you see a diverter valve on your 2400 backhoe mentioned in the previous post?

  14. #14roache@wildblue2007-12-11 21:33

    Easy rider Easy for me to say, however, trailering should be just fine. Looking at the photo, great rubber on back, many years of service ahead. Compared to my 2400, yours is a real "looker". You got a good price, in these parts, a running machine with the usual leaks, sticky hydraulics and broken hour meter,( almost always broken at 1500 hours ) fetch $7,000. You have a lot of wiggle room to work on her. Great machine, IH geared down around this time when Tenneco took over. Popular utility model, short production run however. She is under 2 inches of snow, and ice over that. Will check for a diverter valve. Two hoses weather fatigued in 8 years, haven't had occasion to examined the hydraulics.

  15. #15danielm2008-01-06 09:45

    I be diggin Thanks to John (roache@wildblue) who PM'd me with words of encouragement the IH 200 is working smooth now. I'll add this for anyone searching for info on a IH2400. Although, it seems to be somewhat rare. This machine has two hydraulic pumps each with its own filter pulling from a common tank that hold about 15 gallons of fluid. The left side pump uses a WIX part # 51668 and supplys pressure to the boom swing and power steering. Right side pump has a larger filter located in a return line canister just under the drivers foot. The right pump runs the loader and remaining hydraulics. My problem was found to be a clogged left side filter. This was due to the incorrect filter being installed in the rt side canister. It was too small and was bypassing fluid. Left filter had to do all the filtering. The left also has a very fine mesh screen on the inlet side of the filter. I found this to be plugged also. All new fluids and filters and she is working perfect after sitting for what appears to be about three years. I expect to get alot done with her at the ranch. I'm diggin it...

  16. #16Phil2008-01-06 16:51

    I found this picture I took of an International hoe I'm trying to buy. Not sure of the model or how similar it is to the 2400.The steering doesn't work well at all says the owner, and he found water in one of the rear compartments. Maybe the gearshift boot is letting it in. Maybe it's a newer machine, maybe the same one. Anyway I wanted to post it to see if anyone has more info about the steering system. Like a page out of a service manual? Reading the previous post is interesting, and I'll save it, in case we make a deal:drinkup . Phil

  17. #17danielm2008-01-06 23:16

    Phil, Thats the same machine except my 2400 has ROPS. Water in the hdy must be a common problem for these. There's a couple of places on top of the case that I could see where it might get in if exposed to a hard rain. If not operated often enough to heat the oil up and dry it out it might accumulate. The power steering and hoe boom swing both are supplied by the left side pump. You'll find a filter can with the WIX filter, mentioned earlier, in this can with a screen on the inlet to the filter. Both were plugged with sludge in my case. One thing to check on these old machines is the boom swing mechanism. It is a rack and pinion type device where the rack is the hyd pistons (one on each end) and the pinion is the boom pivot axis. These parts are no longer available. If it doesn't swing you can test the mech by manually pushing the boom left to right. It should only move when the boom valve lever is pulled/pushed as it will be in a hydraulic lock with the valve centered. Also, I believe the IH2400 and the AG IH454 share a lot of common parts.

  18. #18Phil2008-01-07 06:41

    Thanks for the reply, I'll bet that's what is wrong with this one. I've seen this same hoe attachment on other internationals of different models. It's a good working unit, and I can still get on one and remember how those hoe levers work. Is there a torque converter in your machine? I was curious about the oil compartments from the flywheel back and what they take. Are there 2 sections, one taking #90 gear oil, the other hyd/clutch type oil? Is the hydraulic tank up by the fuel tank, on top, or supplied by the torque/shuttle compartment?Phil

  19. #19danielm2008-01-07 11:24

    Three drains on the bottom all drain the same hyd fluid. One filler pipe located between the seats. Takes about 15 gallons of hytrans. Clutch, no torque converter on this one.

  20. #20roache@wildblue2008-01-07 16:40

    No ROPS Phil, The photo is identical to my early '70's 2400A. Lettering on the FEL "2050". Even have the same nose weights. John

  21. #21danielm2008-01-07 22:15

    Fuel filters are a real PIA to change. Almost takes two people. What a day at the ranch today... I went to change the fuel filters on the 2400 this afternoon and it got dark before I could get the primary filter to ever stop leaking. There's a top and bottom O-ring that I had a difficult time with slipping out of place when I tightened the filter bolt. It takes both hands on the bolt and no way to guide the O-ring. :Banghead I also discovered the fuel shut off inop so, I had to disconnect the fuel line and find a hose to drain to a bucket. When it was full poured it in my old Massey loader. I got tired and hungry, ready to go home so I whittled a stopper from a stick and stopped the flow by shoving it in the disconnected fuel line. I'll deal with it when it's daylight and I'm well fed. Might be a good time for me to flush out the tank.

  22. #22Phil2008-01-17 21:02

    For International lovers I just couldn't resist buying this machine. When the fellow said he would deliver it, I said yes. I'll take it. There is a big hole in the block on this one too. Not a bad looking machine, a mother could love it . Phil

  23. #23danielm2008-01-17 23:22

    What's all that white stuff??? Brrrr...

  24. #24roache@wildblue2008-01-17 23:43

    Stop a leak Phil, I've had good luck with "stop a leak" with small coolant leaks on autos, (yeah, always lose the heater) what's your game plan with that big hole ? At least you have side curtains on the rig. Looks like a newer IH.....R4 tires ?

  25. #25danielm2008-01-17 23:46

    Yea... is that cab heated?

  26. #26Phil2008-01-18 05:55

    Ya, that white stuff is a pain, but the winters aren't as long as they used to be. We lost all our snow during that beautiful January thaw we had, and there hasn't been much to replace it yet. The chap I bought the hoe from said it's a 724 engine and had a lead on a block assembly in Quebec for $1000. I'm hoping that it's a common engine used in farm tractors, and I can find parts closer. Nice clean hole in the block, might be able to weld a patch in. Not sure, I didn't see a heater but I'd like to post a picture of the inside, very interesting dash. Not sure what R4 tires are but they are nice and wide, look good. It's a 3600 model, must have been one of the last ones. Phil

  27. #27danielm2008-01-18 10:29

    Phil, Is the hole due to a freeze or did a connecting rod try to take a walk? I found a large freeze crack in a old ** tractor and fixed it 18 yrs ago with JB Weld. I just wasn't worth the hassle of having to tear it down and weld it up. It's still hanging in there.

  28. #28Phil2008-01-18 17:04

    I can see the connecting rod trying to get out. Apparently the oil pressure had been slowly dropping... . Phil

  29. #29Phil2008-01-30 06:27

    Nice out yesterday for January, so while I was outside with the cat, I took a picture of the International's dash. There is a piece of plexiglass covering the guages, possibly right from the factory, so the guages look like new. The gearshift is below the seat on the left. Going to find out exactly what kind of engine it is when I send pictures to a wrecker today.Phil

  30. #30danielm2008-04-26 10:19

    I think my injection pump is dying Anyone have a source for or, a spare D179 IP? The 2400 died and won't start. No fuel from the pump. Filters are clean. I don't see any sort of lift pump on this engine. I may try to pressurize the tank and force feed the IP and see what happens.

  31. #31danielm2008-04-27 10:18

    Note to self... "Keep the tank topped up". I must have picked up some air when the drain side of the tank was uphill.

  32. #32roache@wildblue2008-04-27 21:04

    Been There And Done That DAN, ANY LUCK PURGING THE INJECTORS ? I WAS LUCKY, AND CALLED IN A TRACTOR REPAIR MAN WHO GOT MY LINES PURGED. HE SAID PURGING CAN BE A BEAR, AND SOME MACHINES ARE NEVER QUITE THE SAME DESPITE THE ATTEMPT. INJECTOR PUMPS CAN RUN UP TO $1500....WORTH THE EFFORT TO TACKLE THE INJECTORS. WHILE THE IP CAN FAIL DON'T KNOW OF ANYONE WHO HAD ONE FAIL. I HAVE HAD GOOD LUCK WITH "CNH PARTS AND CATALOG"...ON THE INTERNET..WEBSITE HAS PARTS DIAGRAM FOR EVERY IH MAKE AND MODEL EVER MADE. TRICKY NAVIGATING THEIR SITE, BUT ALL BLOW UP DIAGRAMS ARE THERE. ALSO HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT "BATES" NOT ONLY SELLS MANUALS, BUT IS A PROVIDER OF PARTS. LOCAL MACHINE SHOPS HAVE FABRICATED SEAL RETAINERS, NOT A PROBLEM. :drinkup JOHN IN CT

  33. #33danielm2008-04-27 23:50

    Yes, I got it going. I ran low on fuel and it must have sucked some air. Kept looking in the tank which looked to have plenty but the fuel pick up was on the high side as she was on a slight slope. Cracked open the line going into the IP and when I got a good flow there I opened the injector lines and cranked. She fired up. This afternoon I dug a trench for the basement drain/tunnel that will go from the basement to the cliff to the west. The basement hole has about five feet of water due to rain.

  34. #34roache@wildblue2008-04-28 21:30

    Last 3000 hours Dan, Yep, found the machine to be most forgiving. You're down to your last 5000 hours on her!

  35. #35Phil2008-05-06 18:26

    International 3600 I finally got time to work on her today. Weather was perfect, no mosquitoes yet, so I decided to leave the machine outside, and leave the shop free for other projects. It's a Nuess 239 engine, the hole in the block is just behind the fuel pump. Phil

  36. #36danielm2008-06-08 10:18

    Phil, Any progress lately? The old 2400 has been chugging along although I've noticed the hydraulics seem to be getting weak. Not sure if it's a pump or bypassing in a valve somewhere but, I suspect its the pump. Anyone have a spare right hand side hyd pump for a IH2400?

  37. #37Phil2008-06-08 17:36

    I have stopped spending anything at the moment(like everyone else), so the International engine sits on the floor in pieces. I have a lead on a short block in Quebec, but my truck is not up to the drive, and I'm not excited about driving deep into Quebec to see it. We were out for a drive today and maybe I'm full of it but the highway and ferry crossing was noticeably lacking in the number of cars(gas $). I had a 2400 here for a while and I noticed the right pump was a Cessna, I think CHN showed 3 pump GPM's available. Maybe your pump can be replaced with a new one for a reasonable price. Looked like a common style. Do you have a diverter valve on your machine, to add the steering pump to the circuit? Phil

  38. #38danielm2008-06-08 21:47

    I made the comment to the wife today while driving that the price of fuel doesn't seem to be slowing many folks down here. Crazy mentality... I've been running the old dodge 1 ton on waste veggie oil that I get from a friends eatery for the last few years but, I've still cut my driving back a bit lately. Yes, that rt hand pump looks like a common one. No diverter valve on this 2400. I believe the left (internal) pump runs the power steering and backhoe swing. Right pump runs loader and other hoe valves/cylinders. She is getting so weak the outriggers have a hard time lifting the machine. I'm going to have a look at the filters this week sometime. Lots of hrs on the new oil/filters but the old one was really plugged. Maybe there's still some trash in there. Also, this machine feels way out of balance. Feels like the hoe is way too heavy for the tractor. Front end come off the ground easy. There are weights up front. Is that normal for a 2400 with a backhoe? CCouple of times I though I was going to turn her over. I may fill the front tires with water/glycol mix and see if that helps. Wx is getting hot here. Close to 100f lately. Still, I don't like the white stuff.

  39. #39Phil2008-06-09 07:00

    The diverter valve on the machine I had was beside the seat on the left side. Lift the spool up to improve the swing function or push it back down when you realize the steering is not working right. I almost killed myself on a slope, when I shut it off, forgetting it is not a direct drive machine and she rolled back into a tree. I don't remember there being a balance problem but all the weights were on the front except for 2. Not sure if mine had front wheel weights or not.I don't remember any older hoe that isn't light on the front. I'm running on SVO too, and I've never saw a 'no line up for the ferry' here, even as a kid there was always a half mile of cars on a Sunday, mostly tourists. The muffler shop guy said his acetylene has doubled in price, all kinds of products an services are going to go way up in price. I'll try and remain optimistic . Getting hot here too, 85 -90F. I keep the shop door closed and it's not too bad inside. Working on a Ranger diesel swap. Phil

  40. #40danielm2008-06-25 09:32

    Phil, I'm missing a clip that is on the end of the arm for the hoe mount. Its at the rear of the machine on each side and holds a pin about 1 1/8' or so in place. Would you happen to have a parts machine with one of these? I'll try to get a picture this afternoon.

  41. #41oldone2008-07-25 21:15

    danielm you might need to clean the two main reliefs which are located in the bottom of the center port return and the end port return. I just had my swing quit and all other controls were working,I found the seat in my end port relief vale was bad had to order a new one from the dealer. did manage to use an grinding rock to get some pressure to finish the job I was doing since its going to be 7 to 10 days to get the new part...

  42. #42Countryboy2008-07-25 21:42

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums oldone! :drinkup

  43. #43danielm2008-07-25 22:23

    Thanks Oldone! I'll have a look at that. I don't have a service manual so I'll have to study it to figure out exactly where this piece is. It's been too hot to do anything here lately. Ponds are drying up.

  44. #44Phil2008-07-26 06:40

    Danielm, just got your pm, sorry for the delay, I've been working on other projects as there's no interest in hoe's around here, since the price of gas went up and the papers started printing doom and gloom. I'm saving oldone's info since any info on these machine's is valuable to keep. If you are getting dry weather, then we are getting your rain up here, lot's of it, pond is overflowing, wettest summer on record, and we haven't had to use the A/C yet. I have some International wreck photo's I want to post here in the next day or 2.Phil

  45. #45oldone2008-07-27 11:56

    the main relief has one in the bottom ,and the fuction vales have relief in the top and bottom. all use an 1 1/8 wrench or socket to remove. was going to post picture of the reliefs but I 'am not allowed to.

  46. #46Phil2008-07-28 13:08

    Picture is worth a thousand words is the old saying. Here are some pictures courtesy of Fawcett's Tractor(thank you). I believe this is a 3500, not sure. May she rest in piece(s).Phil

  47. #47oldone2008-07-28 16:37

    someone needs to buy the swing off that machine and put it up before it is scraped,it looks like a 3122 swing

  48. #48oldone2008-07-28 20:08

    here is a picture of the vale chest..

  49. #49danielm2008-08-10 23:39

    Excellent! Thanks Oldone. Now, I got to find a water pump for the D179. She started leakin' this weekend.

  50. #50IH270A2008-08-18 00:13

    almost the same machine as my 270A , but the valve body is a lot different .. actually I am in need of a diagram of the hoses and lines on my valve body , and maybe the blocks also , when I purchased the machine the hydraulics was weak ,, and I have yet to find the problem , I am thinking some thing is bypassing in the valve body , I would like to see a diagram of the valve body , if any one has one

  51. #51oldone2008-08-21 19:04

    each section looks like this

  52. #52danielm2008-08-21 21:55

    So, is the relief valve is what's labeled "check popper" in this picture? I hear a rushing sound coming from the valve chest area when the hydraulics seem weak. I'm wondering if one of (or all) of the relief valves are leaking. This machine had very dirty/milky hyd oil when I got it.

  53. #53IH270A2008-08-22 00:26

    thanks for that post .. any information like that is valuable .. even if it isn't exactly the same , it give a better understanding ,

  54. #54danielm2009-05-25 09:54

    She's still going I use the IH2400 to move hay around mostly these days. Need to repair a hoe cylinder leak and replace one rear tire and wheel but' I'd say I got my moneys worth out of her. Anyone know where I could get a rear wheel in the north Texas area? There's got to be a salvage yard somewhere close.

  55. #55rivertown2009-08-08 21:00

    International 2400/2412DB backhoe I have just purchased a 2400 backhoe, series B model I2412Db, any one have any information on this? Engine is 3 cyl. diesel and runs great. Having hyd. issues

  56. #56danielm2009-08-08 22:21

    Welcome to the IH2400 club. That makes three of us now I believe. Regarding the hydraulics... Check/replace the filters. There are two elements plus screens. I think I listed the part numbers earlier in this thread.

  57. #57keitho2009-08-08 23:04

    i also have a 2400b with the big bucket and rops but it's a 3pt instead of a hoe had it about 12 year's then one day the hydraulics didn't work so i pulled the can under the driver side foot and replaced the filter and it worked again just fine the tires on mine are calcium filled also so they weigh a bit just picked up a case 590 super L and i'm still trying to figure out if it's tires are filled or if the weight of the hoe is enough hmmmm?

  58. #58tractorpoor2009-09-14 02:57

    2400A Oil Pan Hello everyone. I recently picked up a 2400a with bucket and hoe. Its main feature: Stuck Engine. Anyway, I have started to tear it down, but for the life of me, I am "stuck" at the oil pan. Anyone have any experience with this? I think I have gotten all of the bolts. Thanks everyone.

  59. #59Phil2009-09-14 07:26

    Without a picture it's hard to visualize your oil pan or your engine type. If it's stamped steel, then most drive a screwdriver(s) into the gasket seam, but I think yours is cast iron. If so be careful. Not unusual for oil pans to come off very hard, especially the cast iron ones. Follow the gasket seam area around after cleaning the area, make absolutely sure no bolts come in from above, or sideways from the timing cover, or even the flywheel housing. Bolts are usually evenly spaced apart, so any gap is suspect. Hitting the side of the pan, at the bottom, with a hammer and a block of wood occasionally works but it's been my experience that thin screwdrivers and putty knives have to be driven in the 'crack' starting at one end. Phil

  60. #60tractorpoor2009-09-14 20:20

    Phil, Thanks for the reply, I will try to get a picture of it. Your right, I believe it is cast iron. Also to note, The motor is still in the chassis. I have removed the implements and the head. The engine is a gasoline c-157. When I pulled the head, cylinder #1 was full of water!! Been soaking the cylinders with spray lube. Thanks again. --Marc

  61. #61tractorpoor2009-09-15 18:29

    The 2400a Oil Pan Well, for some reason, I can't find a way to post a picture here. But I can email them to you if you like. I have started Jabbing at the seam between the gasket and the pan with a paint scraper. --Marc

  62. #62IH 3500A2009-09-15 21:55

    If all the bolts are out, the trick is to apply pressure over a area rather than pressure in a small spot. Get things started by hammering in a putty knife, insert a thin screw driver, move the putty knife to a new area. ( Work along the long end of the pan. ) Don't rush things, let the gasket tear on it's own. Take a careful look for silicone sealer, this can be very difficult to break between large area smooth surfaces. Warming the pan rail with a torch can help.

  63. #63Phil2009-09-16 06:23

    3500, you have put that into words much better than I could have. I have never heard of heating a gasket area to help loosen, very innovative. Phil

  64. #64IH 3500A2009-09-16 20:01

    Thanks. The key to all of this is to let the material tear by its self. Take a piece of rubber, put a cut in it, then pull lightly and note the speed it tears at. Do the same but pull twice as hard, sure it will tear a bit faster but not 2x faster. This also applies to a stuck oil filter, put enough pressure to the filter to make it move but don't push harder because it won't help much.

  65. #65tractorpoor2009-09-17 04:24

    2400a Oil Pan I will consider heating up around the oil pan gasket seam, but I am a little apprehensive about all of the old oil and dirt on and around the motor. I'll clean it up and give it a try. I also bought some heavier scrapers that I plan to use to dig into the seam.. I will update you all soon. Thanks again for the good advice. --Marc

  66. #66OneWelder2009-09-17 10:42

    Do not heat the pan on a gasoline motor!!! if there are any fumes it will blow !! This is Fact !!

  67. #67IH 3500A2009-09-17 17:57

    Heat bolt area until warm not glowing red. If you are worried about the pan going boom, run the engine until hot.

  68. #68dreday2009-10-01 01:20

    Side Pump Hey There! How do you know if your pump has gone bad or if its just like the drive gear, or something else with it? After hooking up a used side pump, there is nothing coming from the 'out' hose. I really want to get the loader finally going! I have lots of pictures of the 2400B's parts and areas where I'm working if that would help. Also, thanks much, I have already learned a lot reading through this thread. -Andreas

  69. #69dreday2009-10-01 04:51

    side pump pics http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss4/Christakos/HYDRAULICS/DSC_0191small.jpg http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss4/Christakos/HYDRAULICS/DSCN0683SMALL.jpg http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss4/Christakos/HYDRAULICS/DSCN0681SMALL.jpg or album view: http://s556.photobucket.com/albums/ss4/Christakos/HYDRAULICS/?albumview=grid

  70. #70dreday2009-10-01 17:43

    pic now the green IH

  71. #71dreday2009-10-01 17:49

    side pump So no one has to follow any links :

  72. #72dreday2009-10-01 21:42

    Side Pump Taken off showing pump gear teeth detail and where it was taken off from on the tractor :

  73. #73dreday2009-10-01 23:27

    side pump drive Does the PTO have to be engaged for the pump to run?

  74. #74tractorpoor2010-03-29 16:43

    Oil pan update. Just to update you guys on my old oil pan problemo. I had let the stuck engine sit with PB blaster for some time and had just decided to be patient on the pan. Anyway, I finally got that pan off. I was a little nervous about heating things up. If you had seen all of the oil buildup on the motor, you would understand. Anyway, Someone had suggested paint scraper type tools. I did that along with liberal spraying of pb blaster and liberal pounding with hammer onto the scraper. It finally gave, then just knocked it down. Thanks again for everything. For the engine: Even though I soaked the crap out of it, I still had to pound out the #1 piston. The engine is loose now.

  75. #75tractorpoor2010-03-29 16:59

    Oil pan update. Thanks again guys!

  76. #76danielm2010-03-29 19:50

    Wow! It's been a while since I've checked this thread. Looks like alot of work getting done on these old IH since I've been gone. I've been in and out of the hospital with health issues so, my IH2400 hasn't seen any action for months. I hope to get back to it soon. Surgery scheduled in two weeks to remove a big chunk of my colon. No fun...

  77. #77oldone2010-06-27 12:57

    Service manuals 2400a I have service manuals for my 2400a if anyone needs info I can scan pages of it and post them for all. It seems there are very few manuals floating around for these old tractors. I just can't seem to find the right filter for the right side pump cannister..:usa

  78. #78tractorpoor2010-07-10 04:30

    Hydraulic oil filters Oldone, Believe it or not, I went to my local Case-IH dealer. They looked up my 2400a and had a hydraulic oil filter in stock for it. Amazing! I didn't know the part number or anything. Another good one: I went into Oriely Auto (AKA Checker Auto parts) with a part number off of my oil filter. They matched it up with a WIX filter that worked like a champ. In Stock! I couldn't believe it.

  79. #79danielm2010-07-19 10:55

    Dang... many months of no use and I find the water pump is leaking pretty bad now. Also, someone swipped all my fuel and left the cap off. Water/rust in the tank. Bastards!

  80. #80tractorpoor2010-07-24 08:42

    Rust in the tank on the 2400a There is a drain plug on the gas tank. Bottom Left hand side if you are looking at it from the rear. You might be able to flush the rust out through it. Otherwise, the tank isn't impossible to remove. A bunch of nuts and bolts that connect it to the fenders (and fuel lines on bottom). I did mine because it was rusted and slightly leaking. I was going to replace it, but ended up using a product called POR-15. Put it back on and it has been fine so far.

  81. #81SnkyJake2010-09-27 21:52

    Brake issues My brakes are failing on my 2400. I read it here (or in another thread) that if I saw brass filings in the hydraulic filter, it was brake wear. So I replaced the hydraulic fluid and filter this spring, and yes there was a small amount of filings in the filter. As the summer has progressed, my brakes are pretty much completely gone now (probably a total of 30 hours put on the tractor since the hydraulic oil change). Anyhow, I am not mechanically inclined - changing the hydraulic fluid was a big accomplishment for me (LOL), so my question is this: Is there a way to adjust the brakes/brake pedals? I looked at the linkage and it looks like they lead into the side of the engine block. If there is no adjustment, I'm afraid of the cost to have someone else fix them would be beyond the value of the tractor. Thanks for any and all help!

  82. #82FarmboySC2010-11-17 22:05

    new owner I just signed up and trying to become a full member. I just purchased an international 2400 series backhoe and the hydraulics is not working very well. So I will soon be asking for some help from all the knowledgeable folks on here. I was referred to this site by a good friend of mine. Thanks every one.

  83. #83danielm2010-11-18 08:50

    Farmboy, Check the filters, there's two of them. Look at page 2 of this thread. Welcome to the IH2400 owners club! Mine hasn't seen much use lately. I'm searching for a 14.9x28 tire at the moment as the left side has dry rotted badly. Looks like I'll be out about $375per tire if I can't find a good used one. Then I may put her up for sale. Just don't use it much anymore.

  84. #84FarmboySC2010-11-19 00:13

    Thanks danielm. I changed both filters again and the boom will swivel but just doesn't have a lot of power when it comes to trying to move dirt with it. The power steering was hard to turn but now it turns like a new machine. If you or any one else has any suggestions about how to get the boom to work properly I would appreciate it a lot. Thanks for the filter tip. It did me back my power steering and the boom does swing now and that is more than it did before. Thanks again.

  85. #85danielm2010-11-19 08:39

    You might check the filters again. It may take a while to clean the system up. Also, look at post by Oldone on pages 3,4 regarding the main and funtion bypass relief valves. Otherwise, you may have a weak pump.

  86. #86DirtIsMyName2010-11-22 11:15

    Hi, I the remains of a 2412 backhoe and have hoped to make it work again. It is really rough, I've never seen it run. I think my best bet is to get a running tractor and mount my loader and backhoe onto it. Would a 574 be a good choice for the transplant?

  87. #87Mikefromcny2010-11-22 19:29

    Isnt the 574 a farm tractor? Usually farm tractors didnt have that kind of load in mind when engineered. Stronger front axle, spindles, wider tires, lower center of gravity to name a few. Whats wrong with yours?

  88. #88OneWelder2010-11-22 20:47

    I am guessing - but the 544 probably has a bigger motor , but of the same series also the frame on 544 would be just a long side of the motor - but the 2112 would have full frame to the rear end , it would also surround the motor with the loader mounted permanently to the frame - the front axle would be a heavy cast I beam instead of a tube As I said I am not sure of this

  89. #89DirtIsMyName2010-11-22 22:40

    My 2412 has a lot of potential as a money pit. The motor was locked when I got it but I got the motor apart. When I got to the point that I could turn it over with the starter I tried to get the injection pump to pump fuel and it wouldn't cooperate. I couldn't get the shift levers to move so I don't really trust the transmission too much. I would have to buy a rebuild kit for the engine and rebuild the injection pump to get it to run so I could see if the transmission is any good. If I got the transmission to work then I could see if the brakes worked, etc. I think the 574 uses the same hydraulic pump and I will make sure it has the mount for it before I buy. I could also swap wheels and front axle if it didn't require an R&D team. The backhoe and loader mount with their own frame that mounts to the rear axle. I guess I need to look at the front mount again, thanks. I will check the rear axle to make the the mount point is a match. I have my eye on a diesel 574 but I talked to the owner who says the oil pressure gauge doesn't work and it has no parking brakes, now I'm scared. But he says it runs good and he has done a lot of work with it for the last three years. It has a 4 cylinder D239 engine, easily a 50hp tractor. I don't need another potential moneypit. If I can look at it and rule out the worst of the expensive problems and match the mount points for the loader/backhoe, I would buy it. Any inspection tips that would help me?

  90. #90DirtIsMyName2010-11-23 20:51

    Thanks for the replies. I took another look at the 2412 and it has massive framing as was mentioned. Pictures of an eBay 574 look like the 2412 framing may bolt-on the 574. I am trying to piece this together in my head and will go look at the 574 this weekend. The 2412 front axle is also massive and flat where the 574 axle is a drop axle. I will take lots of pictures and measurements with me to compare to the 574 so I can make my best guess about swapping components. I will take an oil pressure gauge to test the 574. I don't know what I can to to determine whether the 574 transmission is full of emergency brake lining residue. I found references to the problem of brake lining residue in the transmission and mention that it is a mess to get it out but I didn't find a description of how to actually get the mess out of the transmission. Anyone done that job?

  91. #91OneWelder2010-11-24 08:24

    I think you will find it has dry brakes - - two disks that look like small clutch disks on each side follow the linkage from pedal to a blister or bubble held on by 3 or 4 bolts - it should be on each side just in front of axle tube

  92. #92OneWelder2010-11-24 08:35

    to check for junk in trans pull filter off the right side of trans there is a paper element inside - cut it apart and look in the pleats. the guy should thank you for servicing trans.

  93. #93OneWelder2010-11-24 12:37

    I have given this some more thought - My advice would be to park machines side by side and compare . You also need to take length and width measurements to see if you can make loader frame work, I think you may find that is shorter, and dash may end up being lower, Do I think this is possibly to do -yes - I also think it going to be a lot of work and a lot of modifications

  94. #94DirtIsMyName2010-12-04 13:59

    Hi again, I got delayed by Thanksgiving and weather and such but I went to look at the 574 and it looked like it had a lot of potential as a money pit also. The 239 diesel seems like a really worthwhile asset but the injection pump leaks. The frame and front end had been welded in a major way. The electrics were hacked beyond reason. I wasn't encouraged to look too deep but the seller commented that I had taken a more in-depth look at it than anyone else had. I didn't take measurements beyond eyeballing but I think the hydraulic pump would swap to the axle and the 2050A loader would be pretty easy. ROPS might need a fender swap. 3122 Backhoe clearance on the PTO and 3pt needs a much closer look. My backhoe valves and hoses have taken a beating with time, I'm not sure if it would be smart to invest further in my backhoe. A 574 with my 2050 loader might be the future of my efforts, still looking.

  95. #95birdcoop77502011-05-17 18:37

    Hi Guys, I have a 2400A loader backhoe W/157 gas eng.wich I complety rebuilt. Had O/S pistons made up in Calif. Now I need a parts diagram of the hoe so I can repair the crown cylinder.Tried some dealers on the net but can't access. My cylinder is 3 1/2" dia. Without part numbers can't order kit. I also had alot of water in hydraulics changed several times finely put in 3 bottles dry gas that helped alot. Thanks for any help.

  96. #96danielm2011-06-27 10:06

    Let me check locally. There's a very good hydraulic shop near my ranch that has always come thru for me. I believe my same cylinder is seeping and had planned to take it over there when I have the time. I wonder where the water enters these machines??? I've found water twice now.

  97. #97jutravis2011-07-06 17:16

    I just bought a 2405b with a d179 engine in it as a project and found this site. I need some help with a wiring diagram due to mine being all taken apart. There is also missing between the elbow coming out of the fuel tank and the tube feeding to the front of the tractor. Lastly is it a posive ground or negitive? I am looking for the correct alternator and maybe the injector tubes from the pump to the injectors. Thanks in advance for any help!!!

  98. #98DirtIsMyName2011-07-15 09:03

    I am close to letting my 2412B go for parts and/or scrap. Anyone here interested in any part of it? I posted information in the for sale forum here: HeavyEquipmentForums Forum rules say don't respond to for sale ads in threads, contact me directly by message or email if interested. Don't post about this here.

  99. #99jutravis2011-07-15 10:03

    Call me at four 0 Five 9 Twenty 2 41 Seventy Six. Justin Travis

  100. #100notaducati2012-01-24 16:20

    Man, I am stuck and I wondered if you could help. I've been working on my I2400-A and it's driving me nuts. Swing of boom on hoe was exceedingly slow. I removed hydraulic filter on left side and it obviously needed to be changed. Changed it out.... now no power steering and no swing of boom at all. I was hoping you might have some advice and/or be able to point me in the right direction. I cant find a manual for this beast anywhere. I see that it has two hydraulic pumps and two filters, and that the hydraulics for the boom swing are linked to the power steering....which no longer works... I would be MOST grateful for any help.

  101. #101DirtIsMyName2012-01-27 08:42

    Some of those machines had a diverter valve that switched hydraulic flow for some of the backhoe functions. Maybe from steering to swing. I was hoping someone else would answer. Maybe someone will see this. I'm surprised the workshop manual pirates on eBay don't sell this manual. Did you check with any of them?

  102. #102notaducati2012-02-13 15:27

    Hello, "oldone"! I've got a 2400A and I lost the power steering and ability to swing the boom.... I have discovered the dual hydraulic systems, but cannot figure out what is causing the problem. I would love to get some advice or copy of relevant page from manual, if you have the time. Thanks, Jon

  103. #103Chris682013-01-07 21:13

    I have a 2412D-B I think its a 1974 brought it back from camp to do repairs to the swing and steering had changed the filter and fluid and still swings slow when it gets hot. Its cold up here in Sudbury, and I fired it up to bring it into the shop, I let it warm up for 40 mins and when I retracted the legs I heard a large "pop" noise and now my drive doesnt work. No forward or reverse, was able to limp it into the shop in low range and in 1st. I let it thaw out over night and now thats its warm, 15 degrees celcius I have zeero drive now. I checked both filters have some small particles on the right side canister, the left side is clean. While the left side was off, I suspected no flow for the swing on the boom and steering. left the filter cover off and I have no flow. Is there a pump on the left side that can be removed by taking off the multi control valve? As for the drive i dont know what is going on. Can anybody help please...Thanks Chris

  104. #104danielm2014-01-09 17:16

    I'm incline to remove the backhoe and try to make this one a three point, pto machine. Can anyone tell me if the AG 454 parts would swap? If so, what all will I need?

  105. #105sheepfoot2014-01-09 18:12

    The issue is it can be done, but you have to have the upper rear axle rocker shaft housing and linkage arms. It would be a big job if you didn't have the pto and housing, some came made to set the hoe off and have the three point links reinstalled but most people just took the boom off and left the swing tower and backhoe stabs for rear weight and left it as a skip loader. The big issue was the rack and shaft for the swing on the backhoe, the cost to repair them in the 70/80's was way up there and most did not want to put that kind of money in them. Are you having issues with the backhoe? or just wanting something new.

  106. #106danielm2014-01-09 19:06

    I just don't have much use for the backhoe nowadays and need a 3pt pto, FEL machine about this size.

  107. #107jrc552014-10-04 16:11

    New member here and I just found the site. I have a 1965 2400 SeriesA and would love to have an owners manual. I don't use it everyday just to dig a hole or to move some dirt around the property. Thanks in advance, Joe.

  108. #108WildBillAZ2014-11-09 11:04

    I am recently retired and bought a I2400 Industrial International Harvester Tractor. Awesome machine! However I am having trouble locating anyone that has manuals or even pics of the fill tubes for hydraulic fluid. Where are the major points of interest? What issues have you had with yours? I found this site by chance and noticed that many of the posts are years old, but and hopeful that I can find some help rebuilding and keeping this old girl running. Thanks in advance!

  109. #109MoparV102015-07-12 17:08

    Looking for wiring Diagram for 2400A ignition and starting system or I am interested in a service manual download or hard copy.

  110. #110tubalcain2015-09-23 14:48

    IH 2400 Bleeding Fule Lines and Injector Pump Rebuuild. Looking for some guidance in the form of step by step instructions on bleeding the fuel system of my IH 2400A. I inherited this from my dad who passed away in 2014. Before he passed away I remember him saying that the fuel injector pump needed to be rebuilt because of a leak but it would still run. I took to feeder line loose going into the injector pump but it was bone dry and no fuel flowed out at all. So I'm assuming I've got to start back at the tank and get fuel flowing up to the injector first. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I think it runs otherwise as he used it just a few days before. I'm also soliciting sources to have the injector pump rebuilt. I'm in the Atlanta area but I could take the pump off and ship it anywhere.