I had my 580B painted. The colour is cat yellow mixed 20:1 with orange. The cab paint is flat and gloss black mixed 50/50. The 580B decal is #321-3138. The 5" loader decal is 321-3134 and 321-3135 and has been trimmed. The dipper decal is an updated # and so the font changed(ug). Phil
Nice Phil! Did you do the prep work yourself?
Man that hoe looks great! I think when I repaint mine, I might just steal your paint code!
Phil, that old ck looks great!
Thanks for the compliments. The inside was painted yellow too, but I think originally it was black. The machine only had one layer of paint on it so it covered well. I'll attach a picture of a machine painted "power yellow", which I think is the correct colour for a late 'B' model. Phil
Very nice! I painted a JD450 track loader earlier this yr and discovered how much surface area there is. A week of prep work and over three gallons of paint. How much paint did you use?
Most backhoes with cabs take 3 gallons. Some a bit more if the cab inside is done,or the painter gets underneath the machine to do a light coat, or the buckets are completely painted. Phil
Phil, Nice looking machine. I drove B's for a while, they're nice machines. Little cramped for someone like me over 6 feet but it worked! I love that orange color and the deeper orange some of the C's and D's went to. I hate the K's color and brown cab! So ugly, orange and black on case look great! On another note, do you have any other pics of your backhoe? Any action shots? Take care, Blake WA
Thanks. That's the only picture I have of it. Winter has come so I've parked her until spring and it's in a bad spot for another pic. I agree with your thoughts on the colours of past machines. Some seem particularly pleasing to the eye. I never liked the brown cab on an E, but I can see the need for change as well, when it comes to selling a new model. Phil
British Backhoe loader Restored Thats a fine job on the Case! So heres a couple of pics of some of the work we do on a daily basis at CJM Plant - This is a JCB 3Cmk11 1968 that we serviced and repainted. This machine went on to build a house. At CJM plant we refurbish old machines for farmers and self builders - I try and get them to leave the yard as original as possible even if it dips into the profit margin. Have hundreds of pictures of similar machines we've restored - so must post some if use like?
Very nice, those old JCB's are very hard to find here. I saw one in Ottawa once and it was the ugliest backhoe I have ever seen. Which proves beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You must get into sandblasting in a big way or a similar method of paint removal? Do you have many decal patterns on file for those that are unavailable? Phil
What is a good method for removing old flaking paint/rust on an old machine? I worry sandblasting would get blasting media in the works.
Been pondering buying an older JCB 3C and restoring it head to toe these pictures are just another push for me to do it
Don't ponder - do it man! I'm in the middle of completly refurbishing a 3cmk111 from my own personal collection - I will upload some photos when I resize them.
see next post as reply:beatsme
You need to block every orifice (of the machine that is) if sandblasting as a slight bit of grit in the engine cylinder sleeve can cause nightmares - one of the best options is to use buffing pads on an orbital sander! least you can do bits at your own pace.
You use buffing pads on an orbital sander? That must be to scuff the paint, not to go after the rust and flakes correct? What kind of pad?
80 grit does a great job on flaking paint and rust.
I've used 80 grit before to completely remove the paint on the hood, loader arms and other places that stand out. When the disc gets dull, I use it to blend in other spots that are flaking. They do work well for me and are an inexpensive option to strip flat areas. Phil
Thanks for the tip! Most of my rust is on the flat surfaces, I probably won't even paint the loader arms or backhoe. I assume spraying is the only way that will look decent?
Case 580b restored. Here is some photos of my dad´s Case 580b year 1974 ,that I restored last year. The backloader is located in Denmark Europe and looks a littel different than the model there was sold in USA. The cabin is made in Sweden,and the tyres aslo has a different size.
Very nice looking machine, being 19 and not growing up in that era its cool to see the older 580's. Ive had the chance to run plenty of older Cases and one thing never changed over the years, all 580's are reliable workhorses!:usa
nice work guys
but it really make you apreciate the newer ones. They run for ever practicly but when i use my freinds 580B down his yard to load mulch it just takes me back in time to when i used to play and ride on them when i was younger.
Nice, nice looking Case, the Swedish cab gives it a much different look. Must have come new with the cab painted yellow, not black. I like the way you have put the decals on the dipper. Are they 28" rims on the back? I was working on another 580B today; tried it out in the snow. Phil
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums john jensen! :drinkup
Case Cab It's weird that CASE didn't specify the same cab design in your Swedish machine as the rest of the world you would have thought the extra cost involved would have made them standardise it - it gives the machine a whole different character! Nevertheless your 580B is a fine example. As far as I know the British version which had sideshift was sold under the heading 580E/F so as not to mix it up with the highly sucessful British built HYMAC 580B (which was a crawler 360 excavator)
That looks more like a version of the 580C.
Again if you said bring a 580C over here a contractor would have turned up with a Hymac 580C tracked excavator - My picture shows a British 580F
If you are concerned about sand getting into places sand is NOT supposed to get....why not used walnt shell media? after you are through, a good air gun cleaning should do the trick, and any shell material that falls into a crack or a crevice, will soon deteriorate and be gone...
Hello i am a real newbee to forums and this is my very first reply,but ijust wanted to say i love to see these great pictures of everybodies backhoes please keep them coming jon
Case 580b restored Hi. Yes the cab has always been painted yellow,and the rims are 28" on the back.I forgot to tell that the engine not is a Case engine but a Dawid Brown 995 engine whit 65 ps. The backhoe was assembled in France but is made from parts from USA (except engine and cabin and rear rims). All the parts I used when I restored the backhoe I did bay at The Collins-services in Medford Oregon.The price on spare parts for a Case 580b is only about 1/4 in the states of what they ask in Denmark at the Case dealer.The decal set is not 100% lite the one there was on it from new , but almost like it and I has tryed to refit them as the backhoe looked from new.My dad has owned the backhoe from new.:usa Best regaurds John.
Looks like the pads on the stabilizers are little wider too. Blake WA
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums VINNY580! :drinkup
I love that backhoe, looks a bit like a Ford with those 28" tires and the extra windows. I had a DB 990 tractor once, maybe the engine was similar. Did you know there's a site for Case parts John? Phil
Found a picture of a B engine ready to go back in. Not like yours though. The front end has been rolled ahead as an assembly, the loader bucket secured in the up position and the loader frames blocked, as can be seen in the picture. Phil
Case 580b restored. Hi Phil about the case parts pages I always use www.collins-services.com . Dan Kornstadt up there has the parts .About the engine my dad did own a CASE 580B Whit the Case engine(1972-1974) then did he bay the one we have now.In 2003 we did rebuild the DB engine whit new pistons and the block was borred+0,25.A DB 990 has wet liners but still on the outside a db990 &995 are similar.the 995 has a one in one block(not wet liners).
Thanks countryboy for the welcome , i hope to learn lots from the forum members and sometimes help others.
Vinny580, how about posting some hoe pictures from the motherland? There is alot of water between us and we like to see what's happening back home .What machines are most popular? I love going for Sunday drives up toward Algonquin park, and looking for old machines. I'll see if I got any more. Phil
Found this B last summer, lost in a field up north. Phil
Sorry Phil for not replying sooner been abit busy, i think as a newbee iam not aloud to put pictures on here yet. Saying that i am not that good on the old puter at the best of times,so i think i would need help with that later any way so for now i am enjoying looking and reading about everyone elses backhoes.
You should be able to post pictures now. Check out the second red link in my signature for help with posting pictures. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Just bought a 580 SE and it could use some clean up and repaint. Thank's for the picture' they look fabulous!!
I'm making my three obligatory replies so I can start a new thread and tell you all about my White Oliver! That JCB is quite odd looking. I've not seen any backhoes that quite have that look. Excellent paint job though. I'm considering painting my machine but if I do it will be a 100 foot job (looks good when you see it from 100 feet away).
Too nice to use
Awesome pics guys!:notworthy:notworthy
Wow That looks great. I see my 580b a little differently now. This is my first post.
Nice Pics. Anyone Knows How The Companies Name Their Machines? For Example, What Does "case 580m" Stands For? Thanks
Model families and improvements to that series are what change them to a "B" ,"C ","D", ETC. Capability such as lifting weight, lifting reach, digging depth are some things that come to mind. Example: 480 case is smaller than a 580 case backhoe. The 580 should have more power and ability than the 480.
This looks exactly like mine!! except the other headlight is busted out on mine...and that one actually HAS a door. Mine has a stump where the door used to be
Is that old cat yellow or new cat yellow? I was thinking of trying to mix some new cat yellow (dark) with some orange and maybe some black to try and get the 580SE and 580K Case power tan.
It's new Cat yellow that I was mixing with orange. The old Cat yellow is a beautiful colour though, much nicer than the Federal yellow Case used to use. Keep in mind that Cat paint will start to fade in the 3rd year and just keep getting paler and lighter, unless inside. Never tried to mix up the power tan colour. Brown might be the additive colour. Mixing colours does not really follow any logical path and it's tough to find anyone who knows what colour to add. My son finally found the info on the internet somewhere. The brown that Case uses on their cabs can be mixed by adding red to any dark brown colour. We mixed a large batch of it, using recycled brown paint, of different shades, and lots of fire engine red. Used a piece of cardboard and just kept dobbing a sample on it until it matched that expensive Case paint. Phil
I want to paint both a 580K and a 580D so I need to make power tan and power yellow, respectively. I figured I would get the new cat, orange, and black to make the power tan. I think the orange and new cat would be close for the power yellow. Maybe add some white to lighten it up. The Case paint is way overpriced. I have used the Cat paint before and the new cat color and black color faded fast. I kind of expect that with syn. enamel. I am going to get acrylic enamel and add hardener. It lasts much longer and fades less. The acrylic enamel from a non-OEM manufacturer is much better and costs less in the long run.
Good luck, let us know if you find a cheap source for yellow acrylic enamel. Cat paint doubled in price the last time I got it, to about $50 a US gallon. Phil
I got a couple of gallons of Cat yellow from Privco.net for $35 a gallon. It's acrylic enamel from Kirker paint. Two gallons with the reducer and hardener were about $130. http://www.pivco.net/
I was going to use the Kirker acrylic enamel with hardener. I am going to try and mix the new Cat yellow and the omaha orange. Maybe add a little black to make the power tan color. It looks like pivco is out of Cat Yellow though.
The price for the Case Power Tan at the local dealer is $62 USD. It is about a 1hr one way drive for me to get it. I just don't like syn. enamel that fades in a few years. I have always had better luck with cheap acrylic enamel. Dupont Centari always worked the best for me but it is too expensive for painting something like this. It came out to about $200 shipped for 3 gallons of new cat yellow, one gallon orange, hardener, reducer. That is more than enough paint for the machine. I have some black already just in case I need to darken it up a bit. I used OEM Cat black years ago and it was very thin straight out of the can. It didn't seem to cover well. Maybe it has gotten better but I swore I would never use it again. Well, unless it was free maybe. El Hombre, Thank you for the link.
great thread. We just re-did our Case 580k and used the Cat yellow with orange mixed in. Unfortunately I don't know how much orange they used.
My 580B will not start Sorry for posting this in you your Paint thread but I don't have rights to start new threads yet and I am looking for answers ASAP. I am borrowing a 580B from a friend provided I rebuild a few hyd cylinders for him. With my luck it quit today and won't start. Details are: -Machine was warm and had been running for about 1/2 hour. -I topped up the hyd fluid and went to raise the outriggers and it just quit as if I shut it off. -will not start now. -turns over great, good strong battery -it is getting diesil, it smokes when it turns over stops smoking when I pull the stop knob. I am an experienced mechanic on everything but diesils, but this confuses me. If it has fuel, compresses, and turns over it should run? I haven't checked compression but why would it go from running one minute to not the next? Any Diesil expert help would be greatly appreciated. I heard Phil was a genious with diesils! :wink
I'm not too far away. P.M. me with your phone # and I can drop over and see the machine. Phil
Thanks Phil1 My ability to PM is still limited too. 613-967-4334. I'll delete this post later. Talk to you soon. :notworthy
For anyone interested in the paint code numbers for the various Case colors, try this link... (yep, I realize this is an old thread, but I found it so I assume others can too... ) LOL https://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?make=Case