Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

IH 3400A Backhoe Fuel System Engine Question

Sky King ยท 2012-09-22 23:19

When the guy was dropping the backhoe off when I bought it, as he drove to the parking spot, the engine slowed and it had very little power. Then it picked back up and ran OK till he parked it (of course he blamed the fuel filter, if he even knew where it was or that it had 2 of them ). I feel that this is revelant to the issue I'm having at present. I believe it is a fuel problem, getting fuel to wherever it has to go. I just did allot of work on the backhoe. I cleaned the fuel tank and installed a valve when I replaced a section of fuel line. The fuel line is 5/16" if memory serves. The valve I used is a needle valve. I was concerned that the hole was not big enough to flow fuel to the engine. The valve is 1/4" pipe. I don't see any pump inbetween the tank, primary fuel filter (about 4' away). I don't see anything between the primary fuel filter and the injector pump. That seems like a long way to go for me. Also, I noticed that my fuel tank is pressurizing (a few pounds of pressure for sure) as the engine runs. I don't see a vent on the fuel tank. I am going to look at the system closer but I am not familiar with this set up, I suppose I will be shortly. The problem... when I was driving the backhoe it lost power but ran OK. When I put it in neutral, the engine slowed until it quit running. I had 5 gallons of fuel in the 20 something gallon tank. I opened the fuel cap and added about 2 gallons of fuel. I had to let the starter spin a bit, but the backhoe started. I found a comfortable engine speed it would hold and I dug up my first tree... albeit a little one. I drove the backhoe back to its parking spot. It was a little sluggish accelerating. No missing, just sluggish. So, now you know all I know. NOTE: WHEN I FIRST START THE ENGINE, IT ACCELERATES FINE. I am a little reluctant to think it is the 1/4" valve but that could be part of the problem. Could have a bad charge pump or whatever they call it on this engine ?? I'm gonna check all the simple and cheap stuff first. LOL I guess I'm glad I bought the book on the engine D-179 . Thanks for any help, Gene

Replies2
  1. #1Sky King2012-09-23 21:15

    Did a little reading and some checking.... looked at the adjustments, removed this stupid screen door spring from the throttle. Seems to be working OK. We'll see. I ran it for about 20 minutes or so while trying to get the brakes going. Boy oh Boy whoever designed these brakes needs a shoe up their butt. Nuthin to see here.... move along.... Cheers, Gene

  2. #2Sky King2012-09-27 20:52

    Just a note.... did allot of checks on the fuel system. It ended up being a restriction in one of the line sections BEFORE the first fuel filter. I'm thinking of putting a filter before that one, then I thought of turning the TEE with one side down and use that as a drop out debris cleaner section... We'll see. I haven't started it but judging by the velocity at which the clog came out ... it was a big restriction. Hardly any air was coming out the other end when I applied presure. It is nice when the problem isn't so technical that no one has a clue. I like simple, even if it is extra work. Good Luck with your projects, Gene