Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

IH 3400A Backhoe Transmision

Sky King ยท 2013-09-14 10:16

The transmission jumps out of gear when I got into reverse. IF I baby it, I can stop it from doing this to an extent. Under load, backing up and dragging the bucket for grading.... it is difficult. I have to keep my hand on the shift lever. Funny thing though, sometimes if feels like it "fully engages and it works fine. I was hoping this was an adjustment on the linkage, which it might be. If I can get this working without pulling the ROPS and Backhoe off, I would be very happy. Does anyone have experience with the transmission on the 3400A ?? It is the manual transmission. I replaced the clutch and much other stuff last year. I also tightened up the looseness in the linkage. IT was horribly loose. The jumping out of gear was a problem before the linkage work. I am gong to remove the shift plate and give the lever more range than it has currently. I hope this works but.... I don't think it will. It feels like the shaft or gear is pushing away when it comes out of gear. When I hold the shift lever, that holds the tractor in gear and I can feel it pushing against the lever. tI could be that a lock ring broke or something. Might be a bad gear. It works fine in forward. Any thoughts ?? I bought the machine to do some work around the house so I wasn't really worried about stuff being wrong with it. I can use it as is if need be but I am a machinist..... therein lies the problem. I just gotta fix stuff. LOL Thanks, Gene Pearl River, LA

Replies16
  1. #1sheepfoot2013-09-14 13:26

    All you can do is place the trans in reverse with the linkage off and adjust the rod to fit with it in reverse with the detent set. You could have detent issues or wear on the gears that put the sliding force to kick it out of gear, bent shift forks as well as worn forks can cause this also. Most of those machines needed a rubber tipped hammer around to bump the shift linkage when they jumped past and would lock up. Linkage, detent, fork shaft detent groves, shift forks, gears, it will be a issue depending on what you find having to open it up.

  2. #2Sky King2013-09-14 17:01

    Hey Thanks for the quick response. the detent you mention. Would that be "inside" the transmission ?? I like you suggestion to put the machine in reverse and then adjust the linkage. That would be the best way to insure it is correct. The shifter linkages were very very loose and floping around when I got the machine. I got new bushings and made some parts. It is a lot better now but not like new. Is there any work I can do without removing the backhoe. In other words, from the top of the transmission ??

  3. #3mitch5042013-09-14 17:07

    Not real familiar with this exact transmission, but as a general rule, if you can hold it in gear with no real strain, it's linkage, forks, rails etc., but if it jumps out hard, or you can't hold it, it's internal, usually a bearing.

  4. #4Sky King2013-09-14 17:47

    I agree Mitch. The only thing I can hope for is the it is WAY out of adjustment and judging from the general condition of the machine when I got it... that could be the case. I guess I'll go play with it this weekend and see what happens. Thanks so much for the input !! Gene

  5. #5Sky King2013-09-21 20:00

    It feels like it is the detent when in reverse but I think it could use some adjustment. I am wondering how much oil I'd have to drain to have a look inside. I really don't rely on reverse much for what I do with the machine and I can get it to work to suit my needs with a little patience. I am tempted to have a look at all this over the winter.... maybe. LOL Thanks for the help and input, Gene

  6. #6Sky King2014-03-29 23:55

    Well, with the crappy winter weather (rain, rain, wet, cold), I only recently moved the backhoe near the shop entrance . I plan on taking the cover off the transmission and hopefully I'll see a snap ring missing, LOL. I also have issues with the rear brakes (left side) and leaking axle seal (right side). To fix this properly, I will need to remove the ROPS and the Backhoe. I am not sure how to remove the back hoe as I have not been to anxious to give it a go. this will be a very very big job. Of course... everything I have done so far was pretty darn BIG. LOL

  7. #7Sky King2014-03-29 23:59

    I will soon be a Head to Tail knowledgeable IH3400A fixer upper. I might even put the lights on this thing.

  8. #8Sky King2014-05-22 23:35

    Momma please don't make me have to pull this transmission. I already have to pull the rops, backhoe and both axles if I want to fix the brakes. I'm thinking of just keeping in going and just selling it when I get finished. That was my plan anyway and it works very well. I've done some much work on this thing I get tired thinking about it. LOL this baby digs though.. yea buddy !!

  9. #9kschlag2014-11-27 18:33

    Hi Gene, I saw you on several post and you seem to be quite the expert on this machine. I recently bought a 3400a in running condition and am interesting in getting more information to help keep it that way and hopefully "tighten up" some of the aspects that work, but not so good. Mine is a hydrostatic transmission with the forward and reverse pedals. Couldn't find an owner/operator manual, but would like to. Any information would be appreciated. Just as an interesting side note, we used to be neighbors in a previous life, lived in Slidell, LA until a few years back. Still have a lot of friends that way. Ken

  10. #10Sky King2014-11-29 22:11

    Hey Ken, I'm not an expert, I just take things apart and put them back together while addressing issues I find. LOL At the Moment, I am doing that to my aeroplane. LOL I intend on getting on the backhoe, I hope it is just a shift fork. I'd love for it to be most simple. I could spend another week on my machine or more. I have lights and all that I took off, cleaned up, painted and intend on mounting back in place. What information are you looking for ? What engine do you have ? Any pictures ?? Happy Holidays !!

  11. #11kschlag2014-12-04 09:55

    International 3400A Thanks for the reply back. I did have a good Thanksgiving and hope you had the same. I have the hydrostatic transmission with the forward and reverse foot pedals. I am currently trying to work a deal on a parts machine that has a manual transmission and slips in forward. Both machines (mine and the parts machine I'm trying to get) have the D179 which is very similar to the D239 I have in a farm tractor. No pictures at the moment, but will try to work on that. My first obstacle is I have emulsified oil on the hydraulics/transmission. I did a drain and refill but think I only got about half out so have to be a little more thorough next time. I have a track loader and am thinking about using it to exercise the hydraulics with the backhoe shut down to purge all the bad oil out of the system and drain it to the sump, probably have to do the reverse with the backhoe running and good oil to get the air back out. Any thoughts on this? Beyond that, I have some slop in the spline connection at the boom swing. Thinking of welding a 1/2" x 2" flat bar across it to keep it from moving around. I can work with it like it is, but it's only going to get worse. Good like with the aeroplane. About the closest I ever got to that was launching and recovering them when I was on the carrier. What they did when they were in the air was someone else's business. Ken

  12. #12Sky King2016-05-03 22:50

    Hello All, Back at it again. I thought I could get R done but... No Joy. The reverse gear in the trans is badly damaged. I almost got it out without disassembling the tractor and transmission. I was that close.... I removed the gear but I could not get it past the large gear. I kinda gave up and determined I'd just assemble an sell the backhoe. I have to admit this is one BAD backhoe. What a mule !! I can dig and do anything in forward gear but back blading is out of the question. Reverse works well enough to get the machine into position and such. QUESTION - Is the reverse gear available for purchase ?? Can transmission parts be purchased for this machine. This backhoe is not really in bad condition. I know because I've touched darn near everything on it. Help would be appreciated

  13. #13El Hombre2016-05-04 01:17

    Used parts for the orphan hoes; can you even find an IH dealer? Best bet is start searching the net and calling up used machinery dealers. Here's a place near me that would be a good start; he specialized in IH for years. http://www.fpsmitheq.com/

  14. #14Sky King2016-05-04 13:31

    Live and learn. I am really not interested in tearing this machine into pieces... although.... I could. It is simply not worth it to me and I don't need it any longer. It is still a mule and my work of late shows some promise. I have been praying as I go along though... so that might just tip the scales. Take care and thanks for the advice.

  15. #15Sky King2016-05-05 01:25

    I spent the whole day working on this machine again today. It is together. Now I am working on the steering issue that began the last time I used it. It is an enigma but I am testing what I can. Seems like pump cavitation but I have removed the steering relief valve, and a few other items that were difficult to remove... What's new? LOL Yes, I got to drain all the hydraulic fluid I put back in this morning. I'll throw a few tidbits out there.... When I pick up a heavy scoop up front the power steering quits working. Sometimes I can get it to manually steer with great effort, sometimes it just turns and turns and little happens. Then after I dump the load and fight it for a while, it starts working again. If I shut down and come back later... it works. I did a good bit of research on this months ago. I thought it was the relief valve or a leaking cylinder as I read but... that doesn't fit with what is going on physically. We shall see.

  16. #16Sky King2016-05-07 00:24

    Looks like the problem is the MCV Pump. The MCV pump provides power to the steering unit and an addition flow to the Front end loader. Sure would be nice to have that cool flow and pressure test unit in the shop manual. Again, the MCV pump provides flow of about 4 gallons per minute at 1800 PSI and the flow is split between the loader and the steering. Since my loader was noticeably slower and less powerful about the same time as the steering... well... that is a good indication the pump or something in that area is amiss. I talked to a guy today that told me if it's not working it is the pump. That is about all the nudge I need to order a new pump. I can easily rebuild it if I have all the parts needed available but for $300..... ehhhh... new might be the way to go.