Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

IH 3800 backhoe

Jennifer P. ยท 2022-05-13 19:48

So I recently picked up a IH 3800 backhoe from the 60's.. I'm looking for a few parts.. The machine is pretty whole but would like to jazz it up some. I am looking for a cable for the tachometer for starters.. I have part numbers if need be.. Pretty excited to have the machine.. Always liked the looks of them.

Replies7
  1. #1skyking12022-05-14 01:55

    yup that is tough looking. It reminds me of the later JCB's.

  2. #2Jennifer P.2022-05-14 07:49

    Right.. I always wanted one of those JCB units with the 4 wheel steer.. Maybe in another 30 years..

  3. #3Coytee2022-05-14 08:23

    I like the looks of that machine. I always wanted similar sized wheels instead of smaller wheel in front. Is that the fuel cap, buried in that cubbyhole? (boo hiss) Don't like that at all. I have to wrestle my 5-gallon jugs up to the floor of my tractor, then hoist them up to the hood of my International 1066 tractor. They start to get heavy when you do 6-7 of them after a long day. Then.... on my JCB, I have to hoist same to front tire. I step up to the horizontal beams, then hoist can to hood so I can then fill. All my machines have the fillers up high or otherwise challenging to get to. I really wish they were down low where I could stand on the ground. How do you fill yours? Is it easy to get to with a jug or do you have a fancy contraption you use to pump the fuel?

  4. #4Jennifer P.2022-07-20 20:53

    The recess for the filler looks deeper than it really is.. Standing on the fuel tank as long as someone is careful would be promising. I have not had to fill it all the way up yet.. but dumping in 6gallons was not a problem at all.. rested the can on the fender/tank and it poured right in.. I use a fuel filter funnel so was easy..

  5. #5Jennifer P.2022-07-20 20:59

    Well, I have been super, super busy on this machine.. I have adjusted the valves with new valve cover gasket, changed the transmission oil, made a new console harness and nearly all new gauges. Made a mid wiring harness and a rear harness as well.. All the lights work now.. I installed a new trans pressure line, re did the engine oil pressure line, straightened the front grill, cleaned up all the light cubbies, primed them and painted them..

  6. #6Jennifer P.2022-07-20 21:02

    Also did glow plugs.

  7. #7Jennifer P.2022-07-20 21:02