I have a question to anyone who has done this before or knows the answer. I have a 1979 Case 580C that I plan on doing a complete brake overhaul on. I have a very good idea of whats involved, and how to do it - many thanks to other people who have posted previous tips and methods for doing this! (especially helpful are the ideas of using shim material or electrical tape to wrap the differential side gear splines to assist in putting the brake plate oil seal back on without cutting them all up. My specific question is about the darn Differential Shaft seal. It too can leak, probably does, and should be replaced. I've read that you can regrind a seal pick to fit in between the differential shaft and the cross shaft that it slides on, and possibly pull it out (only 1/8" room and seal is 1" down). That would be my first method. (carefully noting prior how far down the original seal is & pushing the new seal in place with some homemade pusher. IF THAT FAILS, is there a second option\method on how to remove this seal??? From the Service Manual, it looks like the RH differential side gear assembly could be simply pulled out of the machine by sliding it off (or part way off) the cross shaft ( sticking out of the brake assembly area). Does anyone know if this can be done without messing it up? It would be the easiest way to get the seal part way out. Any thoughts? Attached is the schematic of the Differential Transaxel, and a Picture from the Service manual ( differential rebuild) showing where the seal has to be pulled out from. Thanks in advance for any comments! MBady
If your pick idea doesn't work, option #2 could involve screwing a thin or grind modified longer drywall screw through the outer seal wall and pulling out with vise grips or similar gription device..when I did mine I rebuilt the whole transaxle so it was much easier to replace the seal but have used this method on similar projects..just make sure to have a brandy spankin' new screw with a sharp tip when attempting this method, the fine thread variety is thinner but the coarse thread will work as well.. just make sure to lube the crap out of the new seal before install and don't overdrive it they're quite delicate. good luck..
Thanks very much for the tip - sounds like a good method. Still would like to know if the shaft simply pulls\slides out?
.....Not without first removing the bull gear from the axle on that side of the transaxle. Far easier to make the removal tool - I've made one from an old, push/pull engine shut off cable. Also, there's enough room in there to simply install a second seal on top of the original - unless someone has already done that.
Thanks again, now I know. Will update this thread in the future, after I get the parts and dig into it. Much appreciated! The idea of a second seal is very interesting.
Great tool. Do you have an install tool recommendation? With inner/outer shafts in place
Murry, What book is your second reference picture for the differential rebuild out of? I'm in the middle of rebuilding mine and I need a good set of clearer original shop manual instructions Thanks